O/T Making of Dukes Movie

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

knightdriver
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by knightdriver » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:18 pm

I just got back from seeing it and I agree with Scott.

I for one loved every minute of this film and I wasn't a real
big fan of the series. great action, awesome stunts (stay through
the credits for the out-takes of the general, worth the money right
there). There wasn't as much T and A as everyone is boasting about.

Uncle Jessie was a hoot! I think the only two characters I didn't care
for was Roscoe (a huge, hulking man with no personalilty) and
Bert Reynolds as Boss Hog. Just didn't seem right. Everyone else
was great. I am sure Daisy could have been cast better but hell, Jessica
worked fine for the film.

I say give it a chance before you blow it out of the water. The stunts
and car scenes alone make you crave a Knight Rider film of this style.
Hats off to the ones who pulled those stunts off.

kitt34
FLAG Recruit

Post by kitt34 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:43 pm

knightdriver wrote:I just got back from seeing it and I agree with Scott.

I for one loved every minute of this film and I wasn't a real
big fan of the series. great action, awesome stunts (stay through
the credits for the out-takes of the general, worth the money right
there). There wasn't as much T and A as everyone is boasting about.

Uncle Jessie was a hoot! I think the only two characters I didn't care
for was Roscoe (a huge, hulking man with no personalilty) and
Bert Reynolds as Boss Hog. Just didn't seem right. Everyone else
was great. I am sure Daisy could have been cast better but hell, Jessica
worked fine for the film.

I say give it a chance before you blow it out of the water. The stunts
and car scenes alone make you crave a Knight Rider film of this style.
Hats off to the ones who pulled those stunts off.
But is still nothing in this film, the acting is horrible, the screenplay is pathetic and jessica simpson brings absolutely nothing to the role as daisy duke

this has got to be the worst movie of 2005, there is nothing good about this film at all.

I Hated it.

Aeneasnu
Recruit

Post by Aeneasnu » Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:41 am

I like the original show very much! The movies of Dukes of Hazzard : The Reunion! (1997) and the Dukes of Hazzard : Hazzard in Hollywood (2000) was with the original cast and I like these movies very much! :D
I think I don't like the new movie! But I haven't seen it yet.

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:11 am

Some things that I had problems with and some things I noticed. Do note, I'm not a real hardcore fan of the "Dukes", but I do watch a few episodes now and then (including the first reunion movie), which I do make mention of in the following information. I've seen the movie, so these are the things I had problems with and noticed.

Problems:
First off, Jessica Simpson wasn't right for the role of Daisy (I know some may think I'm nuts, but she's nothing like Daisy was. In the Bikini scene, she looks like she was just exploiting Enos cold-heartedly, as if she could care less for him. In the show, Daisy still seemed rather friendly towards Enos, even when exploiting him).

The second thing I notice (small error), was that when Mr. Nelson was performing "Two Good Ol' Boys", he says "Fightin' the system like a true modern-day robin hood." Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it originally "Fightin' the system like TWO modern-day robin hoods" on the show (or did I misinterpret that part when it came to the series theme song)?

Some of the time, the characters seemed like that on the show, but other times they do out of character things. For example, Bo talking to the General (I don't think I've ever seen him do that on the show) and Luke being a "Man-Ho" (though this may not be too far off, seeing in "One-Armed Bandit", Bo talks about the possibility that most of the kids in the orphanage may be Luke's, to which Luke replies "Bo's always braggin' on me.")

Luke not being allowed to drive, even after he crashes Boss Hogg's caddy. Seriously, Luke did a little bit of driving every now and then on the show (one episode I've seen last night, where Luke was mainly driving Uncle Jesse's F-100 and then the General towards the end of the episode).

Out of all the songs they used in the film, they didn't even bother on considering ANY of the songs (or covers) from the "Dukes of Hazzard" album that was released long ago? Seriously, instead of "Mississippi Queen" by Mountain, they could have used "The General Lee" by Johnny Cash as a good introduction to the General (plus it somewhat fit that particular moment in time: "I'm a Charger that charges through the night, like an orange bolt of lightning passing everything in sight, I'm the best pal the Duke boys ever had, I'm thunder on the highway, looking bad bad bad...". The rest of the lyrics can be found here: http://www.songmeanings.net/lyric.php?l ... 7858536060

Speaking of soundtracks, could they have added a lot more songs? Don't get me wrong, but didn't they reuse "Shoot to Thrill" by AC/DC twice?

Continuity error, possibly, but the hole from the shotgun blast on the driver-side fender of the General disappears after the jump in the beginning of the movie (it's not even seen in the following reveal of a badly battered General).

Noticable Stuff:
First thing was what Cooter said "This is worse than that time you sunk the General in the Tifton Lake(or was it swamp?)." That reminded me of the episode "The Ghost of the General Lee", where Bo and Luke Duke are believed to be dead (after the General is stolen and jumped into a lake) and Boss Hogg planned on setting them up for a crime they didn't commit.

I'm actually surprised that the movie went back a bit in time in re-inventing the Duke's history. A pre-famed General was one thing, but actually showing Bo and Luke running moonshine for Uncle Jesse was a real interesting twist (seriously, the closest to that we see for this part of their past is in the movie that the show was a remake of). (I'm not advocating this) But if the studio considered on doing a sequel, they could have Bo and Luke get caught running moonshine, thereby leading to Uncle Jesse promising the government to stop making moonshine in order to allow the boys to have probaition.

Billy Prickett's Mustang reminded me of Buzz Kilroy's "Double 0" Mustang, which (as it is said in the "Dukes of Hazzard" reunion movie back in 1997) was the only vehicle to ever beat the General in an over-land race.

For the non-Dukes fans who haven't seen anything else by Broken Lizard, the "Do you know how fast you were going scene" between the Dukes and the Campus Cops was taken from "Super Troopers", one of Broken Lizard's previous films.

To my surprise, they actually show the General getting damaged, which is a real first. Seriously, out of all the jumps and the bumping into other cars in the series, the General never really shown any sign of damage (even in the Reunion movie where the General is flipped onto it's roof). In the movie, they actually show some damage to the General (noticeable at the start of the Atlanta chase sequence after Bo and Luke are sprung from the cop car and they crash into two cop cars, at the start of Bo's drivin' like a mad-man scene).

Some of the stuff in the trailer is not in the film. For example: The line "You know, I never get tired of him saying that," after Roscoe calls for Bo and Luke to give up when they're surrounded by the cops. A clip of two modern cop cars crashing into each other when both try to wedge in between two trees(posts?) is not seen, as well as Bo and Luke's reaction to making the jump first seen in the movie (which is seen in the trailer, where both Bo and Luke look back, hooting and hollering at the fact they made it). Plus, an additional shot of Daisy saying "Thank you, Enos" is different. The way she gets up is noticable.

knightdriver
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightdriver » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:21 am

Trailers for movies are usually made before the film is even cut together.

You may not see some scenes that air in the previews. Just the way
it works sometimes.