Michael Knight

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

FX23
Operative

Re: Michael Knight

Post by FX23 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:03 am

yes that is the sorry direction the show will go in unless we act now.

very sad

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by weeezl » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:37 am

Talk about being stuck in the 80`s :roll:

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:33 pm

Dukeboy320 wrote:on the promos they just call him "Mike" it seems like
The new promos aren’t saying his name at all. The one minute preview at nbc.com is saying Michael; and even KITT is calling him that. I do hope they call him Mike from time to time.
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

DJGM
FLAG Assistant

Post by DJGM » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:35 pm

FX23 wrote: yes that is the sorry direction the show will go in unless we act now.
That is your opinion, and your opinion alone. We do not need to "act now". Face up to
the fact that Knight Rider is now focused firmly on Mike Traceur and the Knight 3000.
FX23 wrote: very sad
Yes ... you are aren't you?

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:17 pm

weeezl wrote:Talk about being stuck in the 80`s :roll:
Some people cannot accept new things. This thread reminds me a lot of the discussions about "Star Trek: The Next Generation" when it was first announced. There was a hardcore contingent of fans who felt you could not have Star Trek without Kirk, Spock and McCoy being the main stars of the show. People considered Picard a "weaker" Captain and Data a "Spock copy". There will always be those who can't accept the new and move on.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

KnightLady
Operative

Post by KnightLady » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:08 am

I think it all depends on how the series treats it. In the new pilot he is known as Mike Traceur, not Michael Knight. They'll probably have some explanation on that when the series airs, hopefully. But, when I think of Michael Knight, I think of the HOFF. So, I guess we'll all see when it airs this September.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:40 pm

There are spoilers out there that give a some idea of what happens and what leads to his changing his name.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

FX23
Operative

Post by FX23 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:34 pm

theres nothing sad about being proud of the legend Knight Rider and wanting to act against been served up a another pile of *?$# passing itself off as knight rider.

i am not alone

DJGM
FLAG Assistant

Post by DJGM » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:54 pm

FX23 wrote: theres nothing sad about being proud of the legend Knight Rider . . .
Well, that's one point I think most of here are most likely to agree with.
FX23 wrote: and wanting to act against been served up a another
pile of *?$# passing itself off as knight rider . . .
Again, that is your opinion, and your opinion alone. While this new Knight Rider might not be
to everyone's taste, most of us have accepted what's to come, and are looking forward to it.
This is closest we're ever likely to get to a revived Knight Rider series that most closely
resembles the classic series, but takes into consideration 21st century viewing tastes,
and brings the legend of Knight Rider bang up-to-date. Deal with it.
FX23 wrote: i am not alone
That's as maybe. But on this forum at least, I'm afraid you are very much in a minority.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:20 pm

Put it this way, this is the LAST chance Knight Rider will likely have on TV, especially one that has anything to do the original show. If it fails, there will not be another Knight Rider on TV at least in Hasslehoff's lifetime or at least before he's a senior citizen and certainly in William Daniel's lifetime. So a little Hasslehoff/Original Michael Knight or Daniels/KITT (that's potentially well written) that we might get out of this is going to be a lot better than none at all, which will be the result if the show gets canned before it even has a chance and a real chance is more than just 13 episodes..

People who want Hasselhoff and William Daniels role to return in a full time role need to seriously get a grip. I've been a Knight Rider fan since I was two years old which means I started watching at some point in either half way through or towards the end of the second season or early season three on its first run. Michael Knight/David Hasselhoff was a hero of mine, as I'm sure he and the character was for others here. Hell, I remember when I think I was eight or nine years old seeing some movie DH made where he swore and for some reason I made up and excuse for why he did in saying something to my mother that was something along the lines of "he didn't want to but had to or was made to" or something like that, now that's just sad. Not even really much of a swear word even to me back then and especially not anymore, I think he just said "goddamn". Even more pathetic is that I might have even viewed him as a father figure somewhat since I never had one. So anyone saying I'm either, not a real fan or "don't get it" can turbo boost themselves off a cliff and onto the jagged rocks below.

The long and short of it is that I'm probably not using that term correctly, but anyway, is that it's been 22 years and I've grown up and know that there's no way DH could carry this show today as the lead to where it would be any sort of success. They need to attract a new audience and they would not do that with David, who is old enough now to not only be a father to all of what is considered the "key demographic" but also old enough to be a grandfather to part of it, not to mention those under or hovering around the age of 18 whom he could even be a great grandfather to in certain, messed up circumstances. Having him run around like it was the 1980s in a 20+ year old Trans-Am would be completely ridiculous and would look that way to any new viewer, likely turning them off in the process. Just from what little we've seen of the new show, action, the fights and all out physicality are going to be significantly more elaborate than what was done in the 80s and most of it will likely be done without stunt doubles that poorly resemble the show's stars. That's not to say DH couldn't do it, I'm sure he's not in that bad of condition, but the fact is that I doubt anyone here would want to see their grandfather in that type of role. Face it, the show NEEDS fresh blood in the lead role. DH could certainly fit a Devon/mentor type role but scheduling conflicts thankfully prevent that, that's something not only said by the show's executive producer but Hasselhoff as said it as well I think. DH at this point is best served as a guest star for a big, important mythology based episode. Same thing goes for any of the other original cast members still alive and/or active, which isn't many.

Top it off, Daniels is pretty much at the point of his life where his interest in even returning in a limited capacity is probably extremely low, outside of doing some business with MIO he seems to be, at the age of 81, more than happy to be retired. I have no doubt that if approached he would have little or no interest in returning full time to voice the ORIGINAL KITT again. Even if he were, do you know what kind of risk that could potentially be if the show ends up being a hit that last several years? I hate to say it but at his age the chances of dying increase significantly, voice work might not be physically demanding and might not consume a ton of time, but at his age I'm sure he has plenty of other things he'd want to do with whatever little time he has left. Sure, maybe he'll even live another 20 years or more, that would be great but it's not likely. But no one and I mean no one should be voicing the original series's KITT other than him. It's beyond stupid to even complain about his not being the voice of the new KITT which as everyone here should know by now, is a completely new AI.

Besides, if the show is a hit we'll be getting those important questions answered and at least one or two new Michael/KITT stories out of it, I'm sure. I do wish there was involvement from Glen Larson or producers/writers who had a significant role in the original show to give it a bit more legitimacy as a continuation, but hopefully the writers actually do pay a lot of attention to and respect to the history of the original series and not be stupid/lazy. At the very least I'm sure David will have a bit of control in how he returns when/if it comes or even gets a chance to, which he won't if the show isn't picked up or decides he doesn't like the direction again.

/rant
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

FX23
Operative

Post by FX23 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:51 pm

what makes you think that?
FX23 wrote: i am not alone
That's as maybe. But on this forum at least, I'm afraid you are very much in a minority.[/quote]

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:12 pm

FX23 wrote:theres nothing sad about being proud of the legend Knight Rider and wanting to act against been served up a another pile of *?$# passing itself off as knight rider.
There's also nothing sad about supporting the show and the fandom for 26 years and then being excited about this new series. It's OK if you didn't like the 2-hour movie and you don't expect the new show to be any good. That's fine. But give the board constructive analysis. Post something positive for once in another thread that has nothing to do with the new series. Referring to "another pile of *?$# passing itself off as knight rider" insults those of us who are trying to support the show.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:46 pm

Im with Mike on this one, There are many of us who are lookin for to the new show, who very much still love the orginal and also would love to see some new Knight Rider. Its time for change and I have faith in the new series, theres some good talent behind it. Watch the series and then make a judgement, instead of implying its gonna be trash, I think you may be pleasantly suprised with what you see. If I`m wrong and its no good, we all still have our DVD`s of TOS, its not like its this new series is gonna wipe out our memories of it.

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:51 am

weeezl wrote:Im with Mike on this one, There are many of us who are lookin for to the new show, who very much still love the orginal and also would love to see some new Knight Rider. Its time for change and I have faith in the new series, theres some good talent behind it. Watch the series and then make a judgement, instead of implying its gonna be trash, I think you may be pleasantly suprised with what you see. If I`m wrong and its no good, we all still have our DVD`s of TOS, its not like its this new series is gonna wipe out our memories of it.
You got a point weeezl. :good: I remember watching The Lion King 2 at a friend's house for the first time(I'm a big Lion King fan,too),only a year or two ago,and I didn't enjoy it as much as the original,but it never destroyed my memories of The Lion King.I never went on to any Lion King fan forum(like the one on Lionking.org,for example)and attacked anyone,or complained to the point where it would cause disruption to the forum's community.I just took out my original casette tape,popped it into my VCR,and enjoyed the original Lion King movie.Although,now I do enjoy the Lion King 2,because it's grown on me,and I kept an open mind,and in the end,I also enjoyed the Lion King 1 1/2.

I feel there is a possibility that you might be wondering at first,"What does this post have anything to with Knight Rider?".Simple.Although the KR and TLK(The Lion King)fandoms are two totally different things,the reactions to sequels and any sort of reboots are the same.I know how the people who don't like the new KR feel.Although it may involve two seperate fandoms,in the end,the feelings are the same.However,in the end if you can't handle it,just go enjoy your DVDs for the TOS,and I this news about the TOS makes you happy:
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
there is a complete collection DVD set for TOS with a scanner light on the bottom coming out soon(I think in September)in case you didn't know yet.http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Knight-Rid ... ries/10330
Thought you might like the news that I put as a spoiler.I can assure you it's not there to taunt you,but just to show you somthing neat I found! :D

I know KR '08 will not be everyone's cup of tea,but at least please see a few episodes before you judge it,and I hope everyone who reads this will at least get my point.Who knows?Maybe whoever didn't like KR '08 in the first place will like it after seeing some of it.It's time we think POSITIVE about KR '08 and try to support KR and continiue the legend it once began.Plus it would be fun to come home from seeing the new KR movie coming 2010,then flipping the channels to see KR' 08(you can't get too much of KR,huh?).
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:04 am

Sky_Blue_Civic wrote:
weeezl wrote:Im with Mike on this one, There are many of us who are lookin for to the new show, who very much still love the orginal and also would love to see some new Knight Rider. Its time for change and I have faith in the new series, theres some good talent behind it. Watch the series and then make a judgement, instead of implying its gonna be trash, I think you may be pleasantly suprised with what you see. If I`m wrong and its no good, we all still have our DVD`s of TOS, its not like its this new series is gonna wipe out our memories of it.
You got a point weeezl. :good: I remember watching The Lion King 2 at a friend's house for the first time(I'm a big Lion King fan,too),only a year or two ago,and I didn't enjoy it as much as the original,but it never destroyed my memories of The Lion King.I never went on to any Lion King fan forum(like the one on Lionking.org,for example)and attacked anyone,or complained to the point where it would cause disruption to the forum's community.I just took out my original casette tape,popped it into my VCR,and enjoyed the original Lion King movie.Although,now I do enjoy the Lion King 2,because it's grown on me,and I kept an open mind,and in the end,I also enjoyed the Lion King 1 1/2.

I feel there is a possibility that you might be wondering at first,"What does this post have anything to with Knight Rider?".Simple.Although the KR and TLK(The Lion King)fandoms are two totally different things,the reactions to sequels and any sort of reboots are the same.I know how the people who don't like the new KR feel.Although it may involve two seperate fandoms,in the end,the feelings are the same.However,in the end if you can't handle it,just go enjoy your DVDs for the TOS,and I this news about the TOS makes you happy:
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
there is a complete collection DVD set for TOS with a scanner light on the bottom coming out soon(I think in September)in case you didn't know yet.http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Knight-Rid ... ries/10330
Thought you might like the news that I put as a spoiler.I can assure you it's not there to taunt you,but just to show you somthing neat I found! :D

I know KR '08 will not be everyone's cup of tea,but at least please see a few episodes before you judge it,and I hope everyone who reads this will at least get my point.Who knows?Maybe whoever didn't like KR '08 in the first place will like it after seeing some of it.It's time we think POSITIVE about KR '08 and try to support KR and continiue the legend it once began.Plus it would be fun to come home from seeing the new KR movie coming 2010,then flipping the channels to see KR' 08(you can't get too much of KR,huh?).
Youre right, although I`m not a Lion King fan I understand where your coming from, Its like Transformers the live action movie and how everyone whos fans of the cartoon series and animated movie went ape-s**t over the new CGI TF`s and dont even get me started on Star Trek :lol:

Yeah that boxset looks rather tempting, I`ve already bought the seasons separately on DVD so im not sure if i can justify buying them again...........on second thoughts...... built in scanner light :shock:....Then again its my birthday in September,I think Ill treat myself, so new boxset for me! waaahaaaay!