K.I.T.T.s speedo/tachometer

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Andela
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

K.I.T.T.s speedo/tachometer

Post by Andela » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:52 am

I´ve come to notice that K.I.T.T.s speedo/tachometer shows the wrong numbers. Sometimes, for instance in Ten Wheel Trouble it shows only 009 MPH while driving. That was one of many examples, it´s like this quite often.

J-Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by J-Knight » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:45 pm

yeah, it was a regular thing :lol:
Devon-"Shall we drink to the start of.."
Michael-"Of what?"
Devon-"One mans Dream"

pbryant_knight
Operative

Post by pbryant_knight » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:51 pm

I've always wondeered if the speedo ever actually worked properly or if it was just a dummy speedo that went of engine sound or noise or something?

peter
One Man Can Make A Replica

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:01 pm

I noticed that last night watching KITT chase the drone car in Knight of the Drones. It says around 30, 40, 35, etc. and it looks like they were trying to do like 50 or something.

KivaWolf
Volunteer

Same here

Post by KivaWolf » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:47 am

Yeah its some sort of dummy.. One time I actually saw it go over the 999 mark and it rolled back to 001 or 010.. Kinda funny when I saw it.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and stupidity. I am not so sure about the former... -Albert Einstein

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:38 am

I think it was real sometimes but mostly fake numbers like in KILLER KITT look at the tach is always says 047 RPM
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"

Andela
Recruit

Post by Andela » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:18 am

But why not make one thats not fake from the beginning? The replicas tachos works well, dont they? Can´t be that hard. It must be harder to build a fake one :D

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:41 am

That's nothing.If you guys really want to laugh,check out kitt the cat when he tries to stop the catburgaler from getting shot the first time in the alleyway.You see Michael outside of kitt talking to the door area and you see a clear shot of kitts dash with the numbers still climbing and he's perfectly still.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:34 pm

:lol: KITT must've been malfunctioning!

Andela - When Knight Rider was being filmed, there wasn't the same technology readily available back then that the replica builders these days have available to them. So they had to use lights and other stuff that was fake. Wiring a digital dash in a car back then wasn't all that easy. I admit it was done (as in some Pontiac 6000 STEs from around 1983 on had digital dashboards). However, it was quite expensive to do and with the show on the budget it was, wiring something to the engine of a car that might only be destroyed (or even the hero car for that matter) would be no easy task.

However, I'm sure they should get things working for real for the movie, given the type of technology we have available today. :)

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:52 pm

I just watched Goliath and when they are driving through the desert you see the tach counting backwards quickly from 78.
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"

andy-kitt
FLAG Assistant

Post by andy-kitt » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:31 am

I don't think the guages where connected to anything hence the random numbers, remember we wasn't meant to be watching that closely and technology was 24 yrs ago!!

knightynight
Recruit

Post by knightynight » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:56 pm

Don't forget they also wanted to show KITT moving faster than the car actually could so in order to do that they had to have a dummy display.

finalfadeout
Recruit

Post by finalfadeout » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:42 am

Yeah, there were quite a few instances of this happening during the show (especially SPM of course). The pilot always stood out for me though, during the test run when Michael exclaims "I'm playing chicken with a ten ton semi!" They were going something like 75, and then begin to speed up, and when the view switches to inside the car, they are clearly not only going the same speed as before, but also not anywhere near as fast as they were supposed to be going. Of course, that's probably just because they filmed the inside shots for that scene in the same take.