Season 2 sales?

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Season 2 sales?

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:46 pm

Daily Variety publishes weekly listings of the top 20 DVD sales. Knight Rider Season 1 made a blip at #18 when it came out. Season 2 didn't show up. I checked back on the Dukes, and their season 2 never showed up on the chart either.

So what does this mean? Nothing I guess. But I know people will be curious about it. I'll post better information if I can find it.

knightshade
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightshade » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:36 am

Has anyone posted the total numbers sold to date? I wonder what Universal's take on that fall off would be? I hope that they'd think that maybe they should include at least few special features on the upcoming seasons, but the reality is probably not.

I would think that with most TV shows, there would be a bigger and bigger drop off of purchases with each season's release (unless there was something really note worthy in a later season). You've got the hardcore fans who will purchase them all, but also people who want to own a season or two sort of as a novelty. There are several shows that I'd like to have a few DVDs for, but I don't need the full series -- especially when those shows are a $100 a season and had long runs (yes, I'm looking at you X-Files). So I would guess that's probably a normal trend.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:45 pm

Well, it sounds to me that there's a decline in sales. But it's probably a little premature to be saying that. Maybe we need a few more weeks to pass by before more average consumers notice the set on shelves. I know Season 3 is tentatively set for a December release, but I wonder if its release is guaranteed at all if Season 2 doesn't sell well enough for Universal.

In my opinion, the cover art for Season 2 looks too identical to the first season and I'm not sure that was one of Universal's smartest moves. If these people had their art department actually do a little work rather than pasting a new David Hasselhoff photograph, the set might jump out more at the average consumer. It's just basic advertising! And yes, of course the set says, "The complete second season," but when someone briefly glances the shelves, I'm not too sure they'll recognize that it's a different season.

Phoenix915
Operative

Post by Phoenix915 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:06 pm

In Universal's defense, most TV-DVDs have a similar cover theme to make it look better as a set once all seasons are released.

I do admit that the cover looks like Universal's art department photoshopped the S1 cover for ten minutes and sent it in. Maybe for S3, they could possable squeeze another cast member up there with Hasselhoff to make it stand out more and get a different picture of KITT in addition to changing the background color and Hasselhoff's picture.

And if Universal actually does this, I want to be paid for suggesting it. :D

TimmyZ1
Volunteer

Post by TimmyZ1 » Mon May 02, 2005 12:09 pm

Don't forget there's a Dukes Movie due out on Memorial day weekend. The would have gotten an extra season or so based on that fact alone. If a movie comes out based on KR that would all but guarantee us getting season 3&4

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Mon May 02, 2005 2:11 pm

The background color is different between Season 1 and Season 2. Season 1 is Blue and Season 2 is Red.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon May 02, 2005 2:12 pm

:shock: Major effort there.

theevolved1
Operative

Post by theevolved1 » Tue May 03, 2005 12:14 am

While I have been at work I have noticed several people who have purchased it... One day I was working up front and the guy came in and within 2 minutes was walking out with it.
Funny TKR Quote

*bling*
"Maintanence Please Report to the Recreation Room.... The Jukebox is Jammed on Moonlight at the Oasis."

knightrules
Volunteer

Post by knightrules » Tue May 03, 2005 7:02 pm

Is that issue of Daily Variety the issue to show KR sales? Perhaps the next issue of the magazine?

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue May 03, 2005 7:50 pm

Generally, DVDs will have the highest sales when they are first released. The charts for the week KR was released and the following week have already been posted. If it were to hit the chart, it probably would have happened already.

Keep in mind that this IN NO WAY suggests that sales have not been good; Knight Rider is competing not only with other TV shows but all the movies on DVD as well. It's very difficult to break into the top 20 when the list includes The Incredibles, Sideways, Ray...
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed May 04, 2005 7:26 am

They need a top 100 like Billboard does for Albums and singles.

It's pretty common for the packages to minimally change between the seasons. I think looking on the shelf, Star Trek is the only one thats overall colors change drastically, but the design itself is still the same so they'll all work together as a set.