"Cars that Think" on PBS

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

"Cars that Think" on PBS

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:50 pm

The show Scientific American Frontiers will be doing an episode on "Cars that Think" this Wednesday, January 26:

"The fully automatic car may be down the road a ways, but cars that do your thinking for you are just around the corner -- they watch out for hazards, they listen to you, they read your lips, they even know when you're distracted."

You can check your local PBS schedule here:
http://www.pbs.org/saf/airdates.htm
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

walter h. anderson
FLAG Recruit

Post by walter h. anderson » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:14 am

I'll have to check it out.
If they don't say anything about KITT, I'll be very pi%$ed off!!
If you don't make a difference, you are not the Knight Rider.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:05 pm

I have the AI in my computer set to remind me. If Drake forgets (My AI in the PC is Drake. The car is Dryden :) ) I think I'll... no wait. I need Drake for work. :lol:

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:58 am

Not only did *I* forget, so did Drake! :( Anyone watch it yet and know what happened?

Phoenix915
Operative

Post by Phoenix915 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:08 am

Aw. I forgot too. :( But according to the SAF website, the episode will be avilable for streaming soon. And I'll be very suprised if they don't mention KITT in some way.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:45 pm

Thanks for the link! I bookmarked it and will keep checking back. I'm glad I got DSL so at least I can watch it online if I miss stuff. :)

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:34 pm

It doesn't air in L.A. til Sunday, so recheck your listings.. it may be on other times.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Paul
Rookie

Post by Paul » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:11 pm

I did watch it, and it was fascinating. Sorry, but they didn't mention KITT or Knight Rider or anything like that. I imagine because if they had and they'd wanted footage they'd have had to buy it from Universal and maybe that was just a little too expensive for a PBS show.

They showed a demonstration car with a computer system in it to help locate restaurants, flight times, sending emails, etc. (The AI was called SALLY) It could be spoken to in regular English and responded the same way.

They also showed cars that could drive themselves and respond to things like Stop signs, pedestrians, etc, in it's path. It wouldn't stop, but would slow down to tell you you were approaching an intersection.

They also had a VERY COOL Ford Taurus simulator which drove along a virtual highway and had the driver respond to what the virtual cars were doing to test driver responses, awareness and so on. Frankly, just for the sheer coolness factor I'd love to have a go at it.

If it does re-air, set your VCRs, set your DVRs, watch it, it was cool! :D

It showed that a KITT-like car is plausible in the future, in my opinion, and that the folks at Knight Rider were merely forward thinking people.

Phoenix915
Operative

Post by Phoenix915 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:07 pm

No KITT? Aw drat. :( But yeah, it does sound very interesting. I'll have to watch it when it's available online, or PBS reruns it.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:09 pm

I looked at their schedule for my area and found that was the only time it was on. :( Oh well, I'll just eye their site. I already viewed a couple of their other interesting shows while I was browsing there tonight. Cool stuff! Then again, I've always liked science, particularly robotics, AI, and cybernetic enhancements for the disabled also fascinate me. The one with Christopher Reeve was fascinating and inspiring. (RIP Chris)