Movie comlink?

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Movie comlink?

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed May 05, 2004 7:36 pm

OK, I know I'm obsessed with product placement... I just think the business of movie-making is very interesting.

Everyone's wondering what kind of car KITT will be, but the real gold mine for product placement could be the comlink. Regardless of what car they use, not that many people are going to run out and buy a new Acura/GTO/whatever. But if they based the comlink on a $49 Timex, you could have hundreds of thousands of people running to the mall to buy "the Knight Rider Watch".

It could also be funny to see the comlink built int a Rolex. Or who knows, maybe Swatch is due for a comeback *gasp*.
Last edited by Michael Pajaro on Mon May 10, 2004 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Wed May 05, 2004 7:46 pm

Casio. :)

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Wed May 05, 2004 8:00 pm

Heh... to be honest I can see some of the Mobile Phone companies getting in on this.

'Presenting the new Nokia Comlink... its a watch! Its a phone! It unlocks your car via infrared...'

kido
Operative

Post by kido » Wed May 05, 2004 9:29 pm

I was thinking of useing sunglasses for a comlink with an added "knight vision." ;)
Knight Industries Defence One

Knight Industries 3000
Operative

Post by Knight Industries 3000 » Wed May 05, 2004 11:38 pm

Michael Knight can use one of those fancy watches that the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers used.

KITTzord? :P

Knight Storm
Rookie

Post by Knight Storm » Thu May 06, 2004 1:24 am

Oh lord. A KITTzord?! (Hey that rymes!)

SwEeTiNsAnItY
Operative

Post by SwEeTiNsAnItY » Thu May 06, 2004 8:26 pm

lol, that's a good point Michael Pajaro... I know I'd go out and get it! Swatch... lol oh yeah, I can picture it now, the new Michael Knight talkin' into a lime green watch with hot pink polkadots, it'd go perfectly :P

Yeah, I'm hopin' for a Casio too, them's good watches... I don't want anything that can be scratched on its first day being worn :)

lol, I can see that too Sith... I wonder if Michael's watch will get Cingular's Rollover plan or go with Sprint's free nights and weekends :P

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Thu May 06, 2004 9:13 pm

Or they could do like what Samsong did for "The Matrix Reloaded" and the phones in that film. The phones were specifically designed by Owen Peterson, the production designer, from the films. They got in contact with Samsung to actually make the phones because a lot of the fans of the first film wanted the phones used in it (which so happened to be a real phone which could be found in Oz., but was slightly altered to be able to pop open with the press of a button (which was also added to the phone).

I wouldn't be surprised that Hasselhoff would actually do the same thing, have the production designer design the watch then find a copmany to make them and release them out at the same time as the movie.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Fri May 07, 2004 2:09 pm

...and then watch as Sarfraz makes a run for the nearest shop that has them in stock :lol:

Casio would be the best bet on a watch. I've had a few Casios ranging from the G-shock series to a duel LED flashing light one (it happened to be a red LED). They have the LCD technology to make it work more than any other watch company. My current Casio has animated numbers which rotate and turn into the next number...rather than the standard LCD watches. Its also satellite controlled so timing is based off an atomic clock. I know Casio also has digi-cam watches and one that acts as palmtop PC. So, like I said, I hope its them that makes it.

...actually I can easily see a G-shock based KR watch, they have the same sort of style.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

SwEeTiNsAnItY
Operative

Post by SwEeTiNsAnItY » Fri May 07, 2004 3:54 pm

lol, I have a "Baby G"-shock, it's pink and white, got it when I was in the 7th grade... the paint's chippin' and the strap's all fuzzy and the buckle's broken in one spot but considering that I've worn it everyday since then it's in really good condition, and I've only had to change the batteries once :) So if they go with a G-shock I'm already kinda close to being a Michael Knight incarnate :) Woo hoo!

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Fri May 07, 2004 7:18 pm

Well, I sort of suggested a Casio being used on my old "Knight Rider: The Movie" page, using the Eric Clapton signature edition. :P Now, I would probably just go with the Illuminator brand, seeing that I like how its design.

Maestro
Volunteer

Post by Maestro » Tue May 11, 2004 3:25 pm

SwEeTiNsAnItY wrote:So if they go with a G-shock I'm already kinda close to being a Michael Knight incarnate
Or in your case, Michaela Knight. ;) :lol:

When KR was on for the first time, back in the 80`s, they actually manufactured working clones of the show watch. It didn`t do anything other than normal watch stuff though but it looked the same. :)

I dunno whether it was released outside of the UK though. Anyone know?

SwEeTiNsAnItY
Operative

Post by SwEeTiNsAnItY » Wed May 12, 2004 12:34 am

Maestro wrote:Or in your case, Michaela Knight. ;) :lol:
:lol: How about Michelle Knight? :P

Maestro
Volunteer

Post by Maestro » Wed May 12, 2004 2:18 am

Heheheh.

Sounds a bit too french though. ;)