Devon Miles

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Knight_Rider2004
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Devon Miles

Post by Knight_Rider2004 » Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:29 pm

Does anybody know if they are going to use Devon Miles in the new movie or are they going to recast that role? I had heard rumors that they were going to make a Devon Miles "Hologram" using Edward mulhare's image and sort of "Hologram" him....

Knight of Sweden
Operative

Post by Knight of Sweden » Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:50 am

i have not heard anything about it nor have i looked for an explanation either :D

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:44 am

They can use stock footage, just like the company that made the fourth season of Airwolf did.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:29 pm

Although I think they'd havta get Mulhare's family's permission for that?

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:57 am

To be honest, putting him back in using stock footage would be too expensive to warrant the effort. Not to mention the fact Devon died in KR 2000. ;)

Besides, Hasselhoff has said in interviews that he intends to play Michael Knight as the 'elder statesman' in charge of FLAG.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:05 am

Sith wrote:To be honest, putting him back in using stock footage would be too expensive to warrant the effort. Not to mention the fact Devon died in KR 2000. ;)

Besides, Hasselhoff has said in interviews that he intends to play Michael Knight as the 'elder statesman' in charge of FLAG.
If the film becomes a major motion picture, no, it won't be expensive to them...it will be worth the effort :P

I think we are aware of the fact he died, that's why stock footage was suggested. ;)

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:59 pm

Skav wrote:If the film becomes a major motion picture, no, it won't be expensive to them...it will be worth the effort :P
Ha... you do know how much it cost to put stock footage of Oliver Reed in a few scenes of Gladiator, don't you? ;)

And the new KR movie will be lucky to get even half the budget that film had. lol
Skav wrote:I think we are aware of the fact he died, that's why stock footage was suggested. ;)
Yes... but my point is... he's dead. His character arc ended in KR 2000.

I personally think bringing him back would be in poor taste, artistically. It would make his death scene in the previous film seem trivial, and greatly dampen the emotion and conclusion that the flashback scenes gave in terms of a send off for Edward Mulhare.

Leave holograms in Star Trek. 8) lol

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:21 pm

Sith wrote:
Skav wrote:If the film becomes a major motion picture, no, it won't be expensive to them...it will be worth the effort :P
Ha... you do know how much it cost to put stock footage of Oliver Reed in a few scenes of Gladiator, don't you? ;)
yeah, but what I'm saying is, if the film is a hit, they'd probably make back their budget. and, well, there's a difference between a legendary actor like Oliver Reed and Mulhare in an 80's tv show. So I'm willing to bet it won't be as expensive as Oliver Reed footage. lol.

I personally think bringing him back would be in poor taste, artistically. It would make his death scene in the previous film seem trivial, and greatly dampen the emotion and conclusion that the flashback scenes gave in terms of a send off for Edward Mulhare.Leave holograms in Star Trek. 8) lol
Depends in what situation the flashback is used. ;)

Skav

knightshade
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightshade » Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:40 pm

Sith wrote: Yes... but my point is... he's dead. His character arc ended in KR 2000.

I personally think bringing him back would be in poor taste, artistically. It would make his death scene in the previous film seem trivial, and greatly dampen the emotion and conclusion that the flashback scenes gave in terms of a send off for Edward Mulhare.

Leave holograms in Star Trek. 8) lol
Gotta agree with you there. I'd like to see a mention, or his picture up somewhere in the new FLAG headquarters, but I just don't see any point to bringing him back with stock footage. I think it would be hard to get the film stock to match up. Old film looks old and I don't know how you would get the emotional feel right (I'm having visions of RC's piecemeal 'statement' in Knight of the Rising Sun). I think it would a better tribute to him to leave Devon Miles in the past and simply honor his memory.

Knight of Sweden
Operative

Post by Knight of Sweden » Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:51 am

yeah i think they should leave devon out of it
because in our visions of KR and FLAG he is dead..
As with Wilton
he dies in the first episode , then devon took over.
now, Devon is dead. then michael takes over ;)

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:47 pm

A mention, a inside joke, a photo of Devon in the background is probably all we will and should get in the movie. If they are disregarding K2k, then they should give some explanation, if they are keeping with the K2k timeline, then he luckly (although sadly) had a good bye on Knight Rider.

I think they are going to need to keep the story as in the current time as they can. They don't want to bog down the movie with back story, because it will limit their audience. They'll just provide us with enough history to get by and that should be all. I'd rather not have them waste time going into over detail about who died, and what happened, just a quick blurb. Move on to the future is what they will need to do I think...

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:38 am

to be honest, that ws a mistake. That part messed up Knight Rider, as an idea, a great deal, which is why it should not even be considered a part of Knight Rider- it has a lot of faults. Even otherwise, one can say that this happened during or slightly after the four seasons of Knight Rider.

As for the stock footage, some camera tricks here and there will help, like the Star Wars Special Editions.
Although I think they'd havta get Mulhare's family's permission for that?
Interesting...How did the Canadian company that made the fourth season of Airwolf get the permission to use stock footage?