GM: No New Pontiac Trans Am

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

GM: No New Pontiac Trans Am

Post by neps » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:56 am

In an article I hope will finally put the last nail in the KITT is only a Trans Am discussion, GM announced today that they will be scaling back the "performance" in the Pontiac devision.
Buick, Pontiac and GMC dealers will get 12 new or special-edition vehicles over the next 20 months — but they won't get a Pontiac Trans Am.

Pontiac had lobbied for a sibling vehicle to the Chevrolet Camaro, which is scheduled to arrive in February 2009.

General Motors' plan to make Pontiac a rear-wheel-drive performance car division is likely to be scaled back because of fuel economy regulations, GM leaders told dealers at the make meeting.

One dealer said the business case for the Trans Am didn't compute.

"It was an economic situation," said Lynn Thompson, owner of Thompson Motor Sales in Springfield, Mo. "It would cost $200 million to bring out the vehicle."
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a ... 20311/1203

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Re: GM: No New Pontiac Trans Am

Post by JJSoCrazy » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:27 am

I was just about to post that, but you beat me too it. :D

The fact is that GM wants to go by their "CAFE" standards by having 30mpg cars by 2020. Bush has made it mandatory last year that it is necessary for automakers to do this. Since things take time they started now. The new Trans Am/Firebird is haulted because of this and I find it VERY SAD that GM will not bring back an Iconic Muscle Car that will Pontiac back in the "Performance Division" they desire.

My father works for Cadillac and has many connections/ties with GM exec's to discuss this issue and bring more info about it because I truly and a Firebird freak and was hoping to purchase one after college, gotta settle with a Camaro I guess, still love it but I rather have the Bird. Now, why would GM settle with the Camaro and then people who don't like it will automatically go to the Challenger or Mustang, instead they should have the Trans Am/Firebird to help associate them with GM and increase sales, however it says it take $200 million to recreate that car, I believe was stated.

BoMcD
Operative

Post by BoMcD » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:49 am

Also look for the "green" Camaro.

It is being whispered in hushed tones that a hybrid Camaro is in the works as a way to help GM bump up their CAFE standards....
http://www.knightfoundation.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:27 am

Thanks for posting that, Neil. I hope it will bring an end to these annoying "K.I.T.T. should be a Trans Am" arguments, too. But some people are still going to argue their points no matter what facts are waved in front of them, unfortunately.

It's a shame about the Trans Am, though. I'm debating whether I'd rather have a "green" Trans Am or no Trans Am at all. Even if it was brought back, chances are it would have the same retro look of the Camaro, and I'm not a fan of this retro-styling fad going on with these muscle cars. Something about it just seems artificial to me, especially the more the more "green" the car is. It's like only having diet soda instead of regular. Weird analogy, but you get the idea.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

libolt
Volunteer

Post by libolt » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:29 pm

That does suck to hear. All my cars so far have been Pontiacs, including my current '03 Grand Am and '91 Trans Am, but I have been disappointed in recent years with their newer offerings. I guess I will have to take real good care of my TA and hopefully acquire more thirdgens in the future.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:25 pm

Then I hope they consider bringing back the 6000 - with a nice cast-iron 4-cyl engine that is great on gas. My 20-yr. old 6000 is about ready to say bye-bye. :(

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:02 am

*sigh*

Dammit. I didn't want a Trans Am so it could be KITT, it's pretty clear that even if there were one, GM doesn't care enough. But I wanted a Trans Am. I'm a big Camaro fan, don't get me wrong. But from the 2nd generation on I have preferred the Firebird.

"Green" cars my ass. Nothing's better for the environment then a bunch of spent batteries, nosirree. :|
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"