Fueling Kitt.

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

whet
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Fueling Kitt.

Post by whet » Mon Jan 27, 2003 6:59 pm

Was"No big thing" the only episode where fueling kitt was talked about.
Kitt must have been constantly topped up most of the time.
Think of the disaster If Kitt was going to Micheal's rescue and he ran out of fuel.

Katt
Operative

Post by Katt » Tue Jan 28, 2003 1:06 am

I believe later in the series, KITT no longer used regular gas, but some kind alternative fuel source.

In reference, the episode soul survivor, when Michael was driving Devon's convertable, with KITT on the passenger seat, when the car was acting up, KITT said something like 'That's the problem with these cars, we're out of gas... 8)

What exactly the other fuel was I can't remember, but I think atone point he was switched from gas to something else. :? :wink:

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Jan 28, 2003 1:20 am

Actually, he never really was switched. He was switched for an episode to a Hydrogen based fuel for "Give Me Liberty..." but there were other episodes where he mentioned his amazing gas mileage. That particular episode, in Soul Survivor, meant that basically Elmer's junk mobile had run out of gas, something that didn't happen with KITT, because that is what Bonnie was there for, along with his amazing gas mileage. It was just a testiment towards the fact that he was the ultimate economical vehicle when it came to gas.

KI

Katt
Operative

Post by Katt » Tue Jan 28, 2003 1:24 am

You havea point KI, though that brings a few inconsistencies, not that this would ever really happen, but in episides like Knight of the Drones where he got a rocket up the tail pipe, and Knight of the Juggernaut where he was smashed, I might be a little off, but it seems like in those cases, KITT would of caught fire, or we'd see fuel leaking or something... :P

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Jan 28, 2003 1:44 am

That is because you revert to KITT being a normal car while mixing his super car tendencies in with it. Any fuel would have exploded if it were not in a contained system, even with the jar of a turbo boost. KITT's fuel systems seemed to be fully isolated.

KI

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:10 am

Wasn't it "liquid hydrogen?" I thought Kitt always ran on that. Could be wrong, but I thought it was mentioned in one episode that Kitt could "change" regular gasoline into the special fuel he needed? And I could never understand why Kitt's gas intake was under his rear bumper. Guess the stock gas cap was for decoration. Another reason why Kitt was a super car. Any 3rd gen Trans Am that can get more than 13 MPG should get that honor :D .
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:17 am

Kitt did say He could run on any combustible fluid. Then Michael said I'll get you some blood Dracula. Kitt started talking about how blood had no combustible properties.

Newcastle knight
Operative

Post by Newcastle knight » Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:27 am

KITT had power packs too, at least in one episode he did,

we learn about them at the end of Trust Doesnt Rust when michael asks KITT if he wants to go out for a drive, KITT tells michael its been a draining day and he needs to re-charge his power packs once in a while.

except i think thats the only time he ever re-charged them, only time we ever heard about them really.

so he runs on any sort of petrol, can run on liquid hydrogen, power packs and what about his turbines ? they need fuel according to KITT vs KARR, KITT picks up turbine fuel on the beach thats been leaking from KARR.

Scott

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Jan 28, 2003 12:59 pm

They actually had to convert him over to liquid hydrogen, for one episode.

KI

LoneKnight
Rookie

Post by LoneKnight » Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:35 pm

You would have to assume that KITT uses anything but regular gas. I mean come on, it's KITT!!! :P

If I remember correctly, someone once told me that a turbine engine would just burn up automobile gas, and not use it for what it's worth. I would have to automatically assume that, since there has been mention of hydrogen, this is what he's using.

Course, he could of been the world's first electric car(in the KR universe, anyway)....he just hides it really well.

Just thought of something: all of those times when KITT engages SPM, (okay, so we all know that the film is just sped up really fast)could a standard tank of gas really keep KITT going? Imagine....traveling at speeds of 300mph, could a 10 or, even 20 gallon tank of 89 octane keep him going through all those turns and what-not?

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:55 pm

I alwasy assumed that "Silent Mode" was basically using an electric engine.

As far as SPM is concerned: Suppose KITT just had "normal" fuel efficiency. Let's say 30 miles per gallon with a 10 gallon tank. (round numbers). That would give him a 300 mile range at normal speeds. Suppose SPM reduced his mileage to one-third: 10 miles per gallon. He'd still have a 100 mile range, which would get him just about anywhere in the Los Angeles area. He could go at full speed for 20 minutes.

If you throw in the "supercar" factor, maybe add an extra large fuel tank, the math works out.

And 89 octane?! Pooey. I'm sure KITT has better taste than that! I won't go under 91 for my car. I used to be able to get 94 regularly, and there was a day when you could get 97. Sad.

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

IceKnight
Rookie

Post by IceKnight » Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:16 pm

As for silent mode, I think there might be an alternate solution... the government (or so I've heard) has a device that uses the incoming sine waves of a sound, and by reproducing the exact sound and by shifting it 180 degrees, completely cancels out the noise. Thus, if KITT had a device as such on board, it might require a large power source, hence the performance reduction in silent mode.

David Whiteheart
Operative

Re: Fueling Kitt.

Post by David Whiteheart » Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:01 am

I thought KITT got like 100 miles to the gallon or some outragous number like that?

Dave

Newcastle knight
Operative

Smart Truck

Post by Newcastle knight » Wed Jan 29, 2003 5:46 am

i posted this a while ago, thought id bring it up again coz the repeat of the show was on last night and i was watching.

Has anybody heard of SmartTruck ? its built by the americans out of a big 4x4, i think its a modified F-150.

i saw a repeat of the car show it was on last night and too say the least, it is incredible, there is over 1 million dollars worth of stuff in it. one thing imparticular got my attention, that was its silent running mode. very cool and very real.

it had things like, smoke screen, oil slick, those tyre puncture things, caltrops i think they are called, a grenade launcher ! pepper spray and blinding lights. ! to me it was attack beast but real. its got an LCD display unit that talks when functions are activated aswell, in a lady's voice i might add.

the way its been advertised is in the form of a movie which makes it look even cooler. its used for protecting high government officials and stuff, so george bush probably has one.

ive found an article on it too, it says inspired by 007 but i reckon it holds more resemblence to Knight Rider, probably becuase it talks, lol

Just makes all these things we have been talking about not so far away now, you just need a boat load of money to get it done !

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/scitech/ ... 21119.html

Scott

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:02 am

neat find there scott.

i was searching for some images and here is what I have come up with. At detroit this month they displayed the Smartruck II

Story:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... _army_dc_2

Photos:
http://search.news.yahoo.com/search/new ... ews_photos

Flash presentation:
http://www.icrc-hq.com/smartruck2.htm

But there is also, of course the Smartruck original. However sites with photos that i have found have been either offline with google cached copies remaining, or in another language. :)

http://www.jipemania.com/plane/Detroit_ ... ttruck.htm

It's interesting to see the designs that were developed before and after september 11th. the first version is just a basic on the outside with neat things inside it. the II is built like a tank. I guess its what times like these require.

Newcastle knight
Operative

Post by Newcastle knight » Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:40 pm

also a nice find neil, smartruck 2 looks like it means business ! kinda like the new version of the A-team van.....on steroids, lol

wish i had a tv tuner card, i would of taped the show, becuase the promo video for it was like watching an action scene straight from Knight Rider.

Scott

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:43 pm

(Without getting up to reference it) I am almost positive that liquid hydrogen was the only thing KARR could run on. And, KARR had to steal this supply of liquid hydrogen from the mobile unit in order to refuel. Which makes KITT's ability to run on multiple forms of fuel an oddity.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:52 pm

Nowhere in the series does it say that, that I am aware of.

KI

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Thu Jan 30, 2003 10:37 pm

Whoops. I forgot to note the reference point was from several mentions in the novel form of Trust Doesn't Rust.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Jan 30, 2003 10:51 pm

hey jup, your sites down, something up?

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Fri Jan 31, 2003 12:18 pm

Ever since FreeServers started to reduce the features of their free service package, (like a maximum of 512 Megs of traffic per month) The Big List has been going down every month at some point past the 15'th. In fact, I've got several updates to do that have to wait until the 1'st of February comes around. My options on how to fix this are limited. I can upgrade the site to a low, monthly payment plan. But, that requires a credit card, which I do not have. (Though, I have been considering it.) Another option that I have partially done is to split the site up between two sites to ease up on the bandwidth demands. The biggest page (That hugh page of listings, the page that the site is all about.) has been partially relocated to another free host. (TriPod) And, most of the other sub-site sections have been totally relocated to other sites. I have been holding off on totally relocating that main page in order to see what the bandwidth results would be. So far, such results have proven to be minimum and (as far as I can tell) the TriPod site has proven to be the far more reliable of the two. As yet another option, I could totally relocate The Big List to another host. But, to which host? Except for TriPod, it seems like all the common free hosts are proceeding with similar steps as the ones that FreeServers is doing. Besides, the FreeServers URL is still pretty sweet. :D I have thought about giving up on the site and just handing over The Big List's database to you, Neil. But, your site is so bandwidth heavy as it is...

...or, I could just give up on the site, altogether. But, I am not prepared to do that, as long as there are still options. I suppose I should totally relocate the main page to the TriPod "stress release" site and see what happens.