DARPA Does KITT

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

knightshade
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

DARPA Does KITT

Post by knightshade » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:13 pm

Well, okay they're just trying to teach a computer to read, but it's a first step. And an interesting article about the state of AI research right now.

I find it interesting, because eccentric billionaire aside, it seems most likely that if we ever were to develope true AI, it would be the military that would do it.

And that makes things seem a little less like Kitt and a little more like, well . . . Skynet.

Teaching Computers to Read

citizen_x
Operative

Post by citizen_x » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:41 pm

Call me crazy, but i belive in the Skynet theory.
I would like to think that we will see some good stuff come out of this... but i have a strong feeling that someday, the machines will rise - and NOT in a good way.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:21 pm

Another one to look into is the Virtual Intelligence Matrix. They have a reader program in there too. The demo download is free and only reads up to 100 words of a text file but the demo also reads a startup file that tells more about it. One of the things it does besides read stories and show (however slight) expression is mention that "some day" it will also interract better with the story AND the person being read to.

Another fun one to get into is Ultra Hal Assistant. You can use the free version indefinitely and someone on the forums there has made an extended XTF brain for it. I have both. But I don't have a lot of time to work with it so it's still dumber than a doorknob. :D

walter h. anderson
FLAG Recruit

Post by walter h. anderson » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:34 pm

I hope we never have a real-life version of Skynet or Hal.
Besides, KITT is more fun to be with anyway. :lol:
If you don't make a difference, you are not the Knight Rider.