Common Misconception About Trust Doesn't Rust

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Paul
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Common Misconception About Trust Doesn't Rust

Post by Paul » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:29 pm

One of my all time fave episodes, but this has bugged me for a while. Right at the beginning, when Tony and the Rev find KARR, just where exactly is he?

Most people I speak to think he's in Lab 3 actually inside the Knight Museum Of Technology, but that's not the case, as I understand it.

Lab three has nothing to do with the Museum of Technology. The sign we see right at the beginning of the episode says "On this site will be erected the Knight Museum Of Technology." In other words, when Tony and Rev find KARR the museum doesn't exist, the building they break into is exactly what Michael describes it as, an old lab, which will be pulled down to make way for the museum.

Am I right, or am I just being stupid??

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by cloudkitt » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:03 pm

no, you're right. Exactly. They're tearing down the old labs in order to erect the museum.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:46 pm

From what I got of the episode and reading the book, they were going to tear it down. It was an old lab on the mansion grounds where they moved Knight Industries because of Tonya and her crew after Knight Industries' secrets. Remember Tonya and her gang already had Wilton on the run and had stolen stuff from him. So he had to move quickly. And when Michael (then Long) got shot, things kinda started to unravel and thus Devon (not Wilton) was the one to quickly build KITT, who wasn't even fully tested yet. The pilot was also sorta KITT's field testing as well as Michael's.

In all the rush (according to Devon), the first vehicle Wilton made (which the army was interested in for warfare, and Wilton did NOT want his creation going for such causes!) was KARR, and was taken to his mansion and the old lab building they had there in a rush. This old lab building they were thinking of making into a museum. Wilton was going to dismantle KARR but he died and Devon had THOUGHT he dismantled car BEFORE the move. Apparently that didn't happen.

Now, in the show, Michael and KITT must secure the old lab which was going to be the museum so that "The City" can take it over. In other words, after Wilton's death, Devon must have decided (or funding or the Knight Foundation board of directors, who knows) not to build the museum after all and sell the old lab to the city for much-needed funds. Of course, they thought the lab was long since cleared out before the move of all there operations to Wilton's estate.

Here's where there are some inconsistancies. The lab on Wilton's estate and the city taking it over? Meaning that either they got the location of the lab wrong, the events wrong, or they were selling part of the Knight Estate to the City.

If the location and events of the lab were wrong, that means that Devon was incorrect in that KARR was ever moved. The location of KARR and the lab then had to be OFF the Knight Estate. And KARR was left behind in the rush and forgotten.

If he WAS moved, SOMEbody should have known and they had a car nearly all built. Just change the programming and Michael would have been in KARR instead of KITT, since it seems they had to build KITT from scratch in two months.

Some story inconsistancies makes it a bit of a mystery to try and figure out exactly what happened, and the location of KARR and the old lab.

More to add to the mystery of KARR as it were. :)