SPM= Cool or Work of Evil?

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Did you like Super Pursuit Mode?

Yes! I thought it was awesome!
62%
No! Silly Pop-up Mode sucks!
38%

Total votes: 69

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by knightimmortal » Fri May 02, 2003 11:23 pm

I can't remember what parts they did cut out, (eventually I am just going to have to look at the uncut ones again) but you can't blame SciFi for it. Those episodes are following right along with WGNs cuts. (Meaning that SciFi didn't have much to do with the editing.)

KI

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Sat May 03, 2003 12:25 am

I thought it was said by somebody that the version that SciFi is playing is even more cut then the WGN versions. Those 2 SPM cuts are so strange to me that I don't think that I've ever seen them cut before now. But I could be wrong...

SH
Last edited by spyhunter on Sat May 03, 2003 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat May 03, 2003 12:28 am

Many have complained about SciFi's cuts, but every single one of them have been answered with: They are WGN's cuts. I have been using my WGN episodes for comparisons, and they virtually run side by side, with the exact same scenes. (Yeah, I am a geek, and a nitpicker, but I like to answer with facts.)

KI

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Sat May 03, 2003 2:07 am

Well, being the geek that I am, I also have WGN tapes, and upon pulling them out of moth balls, I found that the 2 particular SPM scenes in question are found fully intact on WGN.

Since I'm so partial to SPM, I had a good feeling I was right... Sorry, KI, much like Michael and KITT, ya can't win 'em all...

SciFi has definitely made their own choice cuts in our favorite episodes...

SH

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat May 03, 2003 2:32 am

It all depends, which airing did you catch the WGN's from? The first round or the second round? The first round was different from the second round due to WGN's commercial change, when they elevated their commercial breaks.

And was that comment really necessary about 'you can't win them all'? I would have expected that from a child. Good grief, that was sad.

KI

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Sat May 03, 2003 3:12 am

I remember taping them on the second round. But i'm positive that spm has never been cut from those episodes in the past on any network...

I've seen you're competitiveness on this board and was just trying to be funny, did I overdo it? :roll:

SH

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat May 03, 2003 3:20 am

You weren't funny. And if you want to compete against me, you are in a race by yourself. I share information and facts that I research and know. It's not a competition, unless you are stuck in elementary school and like that sort of thing, which I don't.

It's this kind of disrespect that makes some of the older posters not want to post anymore. Now I can see their point of view.

If you want to be right, go ahead, nothing I say will make a difference with that kind of mind set.

Let me just say this, one of MY WGN copies (I have two runs recorded, because I wanted to compare and haven't had a chance yet) is missing the scenes that were described. My WWOR copy is also missing one of the scenes that was described. Now, are you going to add insult to injury by calling me a liar too?

KI

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Sat May 03, 2003 4:32 am

Yep, I overdid it.

It's only human nature to want to be right and prove to other people that you are, within reason. And in the case of SciFi's syndication cuts, I believed that I was, from the research that I did.

However, in light of the new information you just tabled, it's very possible that you're RIGHT... :roll:

SH

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Sat May 03, 2003 3:54 pm

Spyhunter, give it a break! Does it mater that your right? do we care? We just like to know the information/facts if they were cut or not...to which K.I has given the information, as she has both WGN cuts and I'm guessing she is grabbing SCI-FIs also to compare. This is a fun and un competitive community to which we all get along..we dot compete...what's the point in that?

Nick:!:

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Sun Jul 13, 2003 2:49 am

I'm still sticking to my guns, SPM has NEVER been cut in the way that Sci-Fi has cut them in recent airings.

If anybody else has proof that Sci-Fi did not cut them, then please present it, so that we can all know the facts.

SH

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sun Jul 13, 2003 3:02 am

I'm guessing that you are having a real hard time with reality, and want to spread the love across the board. Cute. But somehow, still childish. If the only way to get your internal gratification is by calling me a liar, then I am guessing that you have a problem. What kind of proof would you like? for me to send you the WWOR, WGN (Run 1 & 2), USA (Run 1 & 2) tapes? And while we are at it, how about getting the UK, Spanish, German, and Japanese versions? Dream on. I am not sending them to Hawaii, not to mention, it almost looks like somebody is looking for attention. How the heck is anybody supposed to prove it when you are sitting there with this type of attitude, or is it just aimed at me, the evil KI? What flavor of lollypop would you like to soothe your inner child? Bringing up this thread has only proved one thing: that you have been told before to grow up and get over it. Must it be done again?

You know, one has to wonder what your true problem is, or if you have a serious problem with just me alone. Is it that I am female? That I at the time of the last encounter was a moderator, and now a former one? What is your trip that you feel you have to prove me a liar, even if it is peeing all over the truth to do it?

KI

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Sun Jul 13, 2003 3:15 am

You sure do love to lecture, who do you think you are, my Mother?

I already told you, Run 2 of WGN has SPM fully intact, now you're the one that needs to read my 'damn' posts.

Now please step aside, so somebody else can come up with some additional facts. Where's Paul from Knight Rider Archive when I need him? heh heh

Syndication Add-In?

SH

knightvision
Operative

Post by knightvision » Sun Jul 13, 2003 3:58 am

First off Laura, its a pleasure to see you posting again.

On that note let me put an end to this dispute of WGN vs Sci Fi cuts.
I already told you, Run 2 of WGN has SPM fully intact, now you're the one that needs to read my 'damn' posts.

Now please step aside, so somebody else can come up with some additional facts. Where's Paul from Knight Rider Archive when I need him? heh heh
You have an attitude that "won't fly around here". Paul is in the UK how do you expect him to know anything about USA syndication cuts? Don't mean to burst your bubble but I know more about Knight Rider since I have seen all the episodes uncut and cut and Laura is right.

SPM is never fully intact, all syndicators cut it. NBC never did that, they actually aired the SPM conversion complete EVERY SINGLE TIME. So unless you have seen all 21 fourth season episodes complete, the USA airings, the WWOR airings and the WGN airings then you need to let this rest. i have seen them all and other then WWOR no one has come close to airing a complete episode of KR with all scenes intact--including spm.

I have the second set of WGN and the SPM is cut. Don't mean to sound cocky on this topic but considering I wrote a book and have all 84 NBC airings I can say that you are absolutely wrong.

Now if you want Paul to defend you, you might want to send him your WGN copies because the UK doesnt hack them the way syndicators do. Scifi and WGN are almost identical with cuts.

Buy the KRL book. That way you can find out what some of the missing scenes in the series are and make a better arguement. Not to mention Knightimmortal has been around longer, and so have I. Your arguement isnt valid and if you want to keep insisting your right then I can site more instances and examples.

Thanks
Richie
KRL Co-Author

Knight Industries 3000
Operative

Post by Knight Industries 3000 » Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:16 am

Super Pursuit Mode is completely impractical. There's no way that all those doohickeys and whatchamacallits could pop out of the car, while leaving room within the car for KITT's usual gizmos. The idea of the pop-out hatches being seamless when the car is in cruise mode is also silly.

Having said all that, I like super pursuit mode. I was a huge Transformers fan at the time that KITT gained SPM, so I was fascinated by the idea of a real-life transforming car. At the time I wondered if a fifth-season enhancement to KITT would involve the car changing into a robot! KITT's SPM reminded me more than a little of one of the toys from the MASK toyline -- the "Thunderhawk," a red Camaro that could change into a flying machine. The Thunderhawk's rear engines popped out in much the same way that KITT's SPM engines did.

To summarize, even as a kid I thought SPM was impractical and a little cheesy, but as a kid I also thought it was awesome. As an adult today I realize all the more that SPM is a silly concept... but I still think it's awesome.

Thumbs-up. 8)

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Sun Jul 13, 2003 10:49 am

Knight Industries 3000 wrote:Super Pursuit Mode is completely impractical. There's no way that all those doohickeys and whatchamacallits could pop out of the car, while leaving room within the car for KITT's usual gizmos. The idea of the pop-out hatches being seamless when the car is in cruise mode is also silly.
Dont be so sure!!!!!!!!!!! A good friend of mine is in full swing of creating the very first SPM car!! It will be a normal T/A K.I.T.T replica but will have the spm button all the pop outs as well as speakers under the car to play the sound effects of the bits pop out, as well as the red neon lights for at night! And i cant say it will look silly as from what i have seen myself it looks the bomb, by all means check it out on my site!
http://www.knightrideruk.co.uk/project.html

K.I.T.T

Knight Industries 3000
Operative

Post by Knight Industries 3000 » Sun Jul 13, 2003 10:53 am

I guess I stand corrected. On the other hand, does your friend's car have mechanisms for oil slicks, turbo boost, grappling hooks, etc.? Kidding. I look forward to seeing more photos of your friend's car.

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Sun Jul 13, 2003 10:58 am

Oh forgot to say. He will hopefully be adding NOS to the car to create the good old spm speed also. As for oil slick im sure its something he could add! Though maybe on his other KITT he has. Turbo boost is a inpossible right now lol and im sure he could add something smiliar for a hook.

K.I.T.T

KR: the next crusade
Volunteer

Post by KR: the next crusade » Sun Jul 13, 2003 11:59 am

I was not a SPM fan. KITT was ridiculous but the idea is not so bad. I hope that in the new movie, SPM will be use with a morphing special effect. In my opinion, The new KITT will be created with some dynamic and aerodynamic materials that morphs in action.

Tony
Rookie

Post by Tony » Sun Jul 13, 2003 12:55 pm

spyhunter wrote:I am starting to think that SciFi doesn't care for SPM all too much, today they cut out another SPM engagement toward the end of the show! At least it wasn't the night time one in the middle of the show...

I have to wonder if the unedited version of this episode, KNIGHT BEHIND BARS, shows the deactivation of SPM at night, but I kind of doubt it the way Michael says it, "Back to Cruise Mode and hit EBS" [all they show is EBS engagement]...

The other eppy with the missing SPM engagement was KNIGHT STING on Tuesday, and they didn't even show Michael requesting it or pressing the button that time...

This reminds me, in SCENT OF ROSES, when they activate SPM to get to the crime where Michael gets shot, they don't show the engagement either. But it doesn't appear to be a syndication cut, or is it?

SH
I am about to watch the UNCUT version of "The Scent of Roses" in a couple days..
I have a hacked up version of it, which I've seen a hundred times.
Now I am going to see what was cut out of it.

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Sun Jul 13, 2003 5:53 pm

SPM was cool but to tell you the truth I like the way kitt look in the first three seasons. :wink:

scare them way not sound like fun!!! :twisted:

joking

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Sun Jul 13, 2003 6:50 pm

knightimmortal wrote:No, because either you liked it or you didn't, I am not going to entertain those who can't make up their minds. ;)

KI
Hahaha! Indeed!

It was...fine. I just noticed that as the series went on, it got progressivle less believable.

But that was one thing I've ALWAYS wanted to see done: I wanted them to show the WHOLE car transforming on camera, as opposed to each little 'wing'. I understand why they couldn't but that doesn't change the fact thati want to see it.

By the way, has anyone ever seen a replica of the SPM KITT?
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Darendor
Operative

Post by Darendor » Sun Jul 13, 2003 7:05 pm

I think Super Pursuit Mode is a cool work of evil.

There. Nothing to debate.

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Sun Jul 13, 2003 7:25 pm

By the way, has anyone ever seen a replica of the SPM KITT?
did you not see my post above????????????????????????

K.I.T.T

CK
Operative

Post by CK » Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:45 pm

I did! I did!!! :D:D:D

Cheri

excalibur
Recruit

Post by excalibur » Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:44 pm

No, personally I did not like SPM. I prefer KITT's sleek body rather than all that stuff sticking out of him. 8) :D