KI3T's new transformation

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

KI3T's new transformation

Post by lunchmeat » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:43 pm

I'd made a post about this in the Live Discussion thread, but it got lost somehow. I don't know what happened.

When I watched the new episode last night, I noticed that KI3T's transformation back into normal mode from Attack Mode looked a little different - simplified a bit. I really liked it, but I couldn't tell if it was actually different or whether it was just the camera angle. One thing that I really really disliked about the previous transformation between modes was that KI3T seemed to have two sets of scan bars - upon changing form, a little slot would open and one would recede into the hood and another would pop out. I understood that the scanner was in a different place on the hood in Attack Mode (it's a little lower), but the scanner, to me, is something that should change as little as possible. From what I could tell, this latest transformation was just that.

Did it look different to you guys?

(Another thing I liked, and I hope they keep this up, is the implied transformation into Attack Mode. We didn't see KI3T transform the first time into Attack Mode to turbo boost over the prison wall - he was normal in one scene, and then in attack mode for the next one. It worked very well for the pacing and probably saved a bit of the budget. I suppose it took a few episodes in order to be able to establish the idea that KI3T can transform and he must do so in order to boost, but it was nice to see the pacing and story taking precedence over the visuals.)
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

scorbing
Recruit

Re: KI3T's new transformation

Post by scorbing » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:59 pm

I didn't notice that but I will tell you the things I am wondering and bother me about the Jan 21 episode:

When KARR finally faces KITT, it's going to be hard to believe that a car can beat an 18 foot robot. So my question is this:

1. Is KITT going to transform into a robot himself to fight KARR?

2. Is Torres really a bad guy?

3. Why are they killing Charles? He is a VERY important character to the series.

4. Why don't they just get rid of the stupid asian girl and the idiotic hacker instead of killing Charles?

Harry Singh Jr.
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Harry Singh Jr. » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:17 pm

Good point Scorbing. I hate to see the Charles go too. Infact I hate to see any of the cast go. I think KITT may transform into robot too. I mean why not, He transforms into everything else. Plus if KARR is the prototype, then KITT should be a copy. But who knows, I guess we'll have to watch and see.

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:36 pm

scorbing wrote:I didn't notice that but I will tell you the things I am wondering and bother me about the Jan 21 episode:

When KARR finally faces KITT, it's going to be hard to believe that a car can beat an 18 foot robot. So my question is this:

1. Is KITT going to transform into a robot himself to fight KARR?

2. Is Torres really a bad guy?

3. Why are they killing Charles? He is a VERY important character to the series.

4. Why don't they just get rid of the stupid asian girl and the idiotic hacker instead of killing Charles?
I REALLY hope that KI3T stays a car. I'm willing to trade my beef about him being only Ford cars if they just keep him a car. I want to sit down and watch Knight Rider, not something else.

I will also trade Zoe for Charles any day. Billy can stay, because once Zoe is gone, his character will be better. Also, Charles needs to be more hands on with KI3T, roll up the shirt sleeves, repair something.

Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:14 pm

I posted about the transformation in the live discussion thread aswell.
Watching the pure HD version on my laptop let me see it alot clearer.
It has the sound effects from the previous transforms but the visuals were different. Like a mix of the mechanical mourphing as also a fluid sorta of "filling-in" effect.
I really like how it was done.
"Michael, I agree with your earlier assessment, back-up plans suck."- KI3T
Put the word out!
WATCH THE SHOW!!!: Wed at 8:00pm on NBC.
Its getting better and gaining ratings, AWESOME!!

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:09 pm

Thing is that Bruce Davidson was probably getting paid more than both of them combined. Besides, we don't know if he even wanted to stick around. I'm fairly certain he, STP and Yancy Arias were only contracted for the initial 13 also. So it's not like they really got fired or anything.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

scorbing
Recruit

Post by scorbing » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:11 pm

Harry Singh Jr. wrote:Good point Scorbing. I hate to see the Charles go too. Infact I hate to see any of the cast go. I think KITT may transform into robot too. I mean why not, He transforms into everything else. Plus if KARR is the prototype, then KITT should be a copy. But who knows, I guess we'll have to watch and see.

I think the viewers are in for a surprise. I don't think they are showing us everything that's going to happen on the previews on TV. I think you are 100% correct. KARR is a prototype of KITT and can transform into a robot and a car, therefore KITT should be able to transform into a robot as well because KITT is the final product and KARR was built before KITT so KITT should and has to have the same capabilities - and more - that KARR has.

I just hope they don't dissapoint us with some stupid 10 second ending battle because that will be the end of the series. I personally want to see some serious butt kicking by KITT against KARR. I wanna see some damage!!!!

What do you think?

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:33 pm

Hmm, this went a little off the topic I specified...

Regardless, I'll join in.

As for my original topic, Faithful Car KRO noticed it. I couldn't tell what was different, as they didn't show as much of the hood in the transformation this time (the camera rotated around it). Watching again, I'm not sure if it's all that different or not - it might have been simplified a bit? Maybe we'll see what happens in future episodes.

(A note....the CGI looked a little off. It looked a little unfinished to me, and I know why - the model is very good, but the lighting isn't right. The car looks off because it doesn't have the correct reflections during and after the transformation. In the latest transformation, this was especially apparent with the brake lights - there wasn't any translucency or refracted/reflected light from them. I understand that this is difficult to do without a large budget and more time, but I hope that they will be able to address this sometime. I remember a video on KRO where one of the special effects ladies was capturing lighting data from the scene with a silver sphere - perhaps this will play a factor in future episodes.)

As for the new topic of KI3T vs KARR...I really don't think that KI3T will turn into a robot. I really think that the writers know better. Further, they understand that KI3T is the underdog here; they can create suspense by putting KI3T up against a larger, really powerful enemy. They want us to think "wow, how will he defeat that?" Turning KI3T into a robot would even the playing field. The writers know that they're stacking the odds against KI3T, and that the excitement stems from seeing Mike and KI3T overcome those odds.

Additionally, if KI3T did turn into a robot, think of future episodes, future plotlines, future budget costs...face it. It isn't gonna happen. They may well do something really cheesy, but KI3T transforming into a KARR-like robot? Seriously, guys, give the show some credit!
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:39 pm

This KARR'S shell seems as if it was created solely for Military war-time aspects, where as KI3Ts shell seems to be built for more undercover, "helping" type missions.
Although they have similar functions and similar AI's, their uses are quite different
"Michael, I agree with your earlier assessment, back-up plans suck."- KI3T
Put the word out!
WATCH THE SHOW!!!: Wed at 8:00pm on NBC.
Its getting better and gaining ratings, AWESOME!!