Where does Kitt's voice come from?

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

whet
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Where does Kitt's voice come from?

Post by whet » Wed Feb 05, 2003 4:22 pm

I've been wondering where the sound of Kitt's voice comes from.
The vox box dosen't seem to have any speaker holes that I have seen.
Maybye there is a speaker or something hidden?

Newcastle knight
Operative

Post by Newcastle knight » Wed Feb 05, 2003 4:27 pm

yeah, a hidden speaker in the voice modulator would of been the best idea, because that way its like he's actually talking from where he's supposed too. if his voice came through the door speakers it would sound a bit weird.

and he's got external speakers too for talking to michael outside the car, and for using the anharmonic synthesiser etc.

Scott

Darendor
Operative

Post by Darendor » Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:26 pm

Newcastle knight wrote:yeah, a hidden speaker in the voice modulator would of been the best idea, because that way its like he's actually talking from where he's supposed too. if his voice came through the door speakers it would sound a bit weird.

and he's got external speakers too for talking to michael outside the car, and for using the anharmonic synthesiser etc.

Scott
What was the anharmonic synthesiser? And I thought KITT's voice came from that William Daniels dude?

Newcastle knight
Operative

Post by Newcastle knight » Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:40 pm

eh ??? we are talking about where his actual voice would come from inside the car.

And the anharmonic synthesiser lets KITT simulate all different kinds of sounds. thats how he can impersonate different people, police cars or even animal sounds.

Scott

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:28 pm

The vox box is his speaker, and most likely, the other speakers throughout the vehicle enhanced his voice, but the thing that you see on top of the steering wheel is your main source.

KI

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Feb 06, 2003 3:31 am

From the Knight Rider novel, when KITT first speaks:

"(Michael) could not pick out the source of the sound itself; it seemed to issue from all around him inside the car."

I don't consider the novels to absolute canon, but it does support the idea of KITT's voice coming from several speakers.

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

SadArticle
Operative

Post by SadArticle » Thu Feb 06, 2003 2:40 pm

Heh, Dolby-surround Kitt :wink:

I wonder if he had those little corner speakers, to freak Michael out with background noise every now and again (or am I the only one who picks up on that effect?)

Sarah
We'll never get the smell out of the upholstery - Kitt, Knightlines

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Fri Feb 07, 2003 1:49 pm

Too bad the 82s were not equiped with the monsoon system system. Kitt would sure get is point across nicely if he was using the interior speakers!
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:08 pm

This sounds like a question that only a crew member who actually worked on the set of Knight Rider could really know. After all, I'm referring to the *real* field car with the fully functioning dash.

Else, there's no true way to really tell. But, I'd take a guess at it being surround sound.

Newcastle knight
Operative

Post by Newcastle knight » Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:15 pm

well if your talking about real life and how they did it then they just got somebody to read KITT's lines through a radio to david inside the car if it was being towed or whatever.

Then re-dub the lines back over with will daniels when it was all finished

Scott

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:28 pm

Newcastle knight wrote:...then they just got somebody to read KITT's lines through a radio to david inside the car...

Scott
I'm not so sure about that. Watch Trust Doesn't Rust. There is this scene where the interior "red" light is flashing to the sync of "KARR's" voice. Sure, it was probably a radio feed. But, this radio just might have been built into the dash. And, said radio would have a speaker, again, probably somewhere on the dash. Thus, a person who worked on the show would probably know where that speaker was.

Newcastle knight
Operative

Post by Newcastle knight » Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:38 pm

It doesnt really flash in sync with his voice, it just lightens and fades, lightens and fades... looks like they just plugged the dash in and let it flash on and off.

Actually, in KITT vs KARR, this is a nitpick aswell by the way !

When KARR locks in mandy at the pier and he starts talking..."stop squaking you foolish girl" look where the voice modulator is, and then notice where the amber light is coming from. its coming from where the speedo readout would be on the dash, not the actual voice modulator.

Scott