The Scent of Roses Episode

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

elevator_opratr
Volunteer

The Scent of Roses Episode

Post by elevator_opratr » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:13 pm

Sci-Fi ran the "Scent of Roses" episode the other night at 5 a.m.

Every series seems to have that one poignant episode that leaves you with that gut feeling that lasts for sometime, and IMO, this is that episode for Knight Rider.

After I got done watching it, I happened to think to myself how this would have been the perfect "final episode" for Knight Rider had the series been given the opportunity to have that poignant final episode like a MASH or Seinfeld. Instead, the season just ended with an ordinary episode and never returned.

I guess they didn't know the show was being cancelled after Season 4, or else "Scent of Roses" would have been the perfect way to end. Michael leaving the Foundation after having another near death scare, and as a going-away gift, being reunited with his old love Stevie. Unfortunately, Stevie falls victim to a shooter shortly after the "I do's."

I am still thinking about that powerful ending ...

- scene of Michael having flashbacks to Stevie before her untimely death

- scene of Michael looking at KITT sitting in the distance

- scene of Michael running towards KITT and KITT saying "Where are we going Michael?"

- Michael: "We're going home to family KITT ........... (long pause) .......... We're going to the foundation."

I'm more of a lurker than a poster on this forum, but I just had to share my thoughts on what I believe is the best episode ever. I am still thinking about it since seeing it the other night.

Love this forum. :)

reverber
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by reverber » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:06 pm

if i recall correctly, i believe the writers wrote scent of roses to be the last episode but due to universal scheduloing the show got moved from the end of the series to where it ultimately resided, thats why it was so poingant

Akaihiryuu
Operative

Post by Akaihiryuu » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:37 pm

What's really weird...Stevie was played by Hasselhoff's then-wife Catherine Hickland. After they divorced, she married a guy whose real name is Michael Knight! Apparently he's a soap opera star or something, I don't know him because I don't watch that kind of show. It's still very ironic though, see IMDB for more details.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0382692/bio

reverber
Rookie

Post by reverber » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:43 pm

truth is stranger then fiction !!! whod have thought 20 years ago that kitt would be a reality now

(apart from ai it is a reality, 300mph potiacs suspension that gives a smooth ride but holds the road like nobodies business and will propel you in to the air (a small distance, at least 6 inches but hey its a start) self driving cars, and most of kitts other gadgets being reality in standard production cars)

though getting back on topic i agree with elevator_opratr that the powers that be should have made this the last episode.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:07 pm

hey elevator_opratr, I was just watching that episode today as well (got caught on my DVR). Hasselhoff has said that he did want this episode to be the series finale. I think I also remember him saying that it was his inspiration for his character in the Knight Rider 2000 movie. Maybe Joe, Paul or Mike might be able to shead some more on this.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:17 pm

I wonder what Hasselhoff meant by having SOR his inspiriation..does he mean the setup of his character at the beginning of the film ie retiring and "burning out"?

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:22 pm

Right, that Stevie's death was the reason for him eventually leaving the foundation, and ultimately what makes him hesitant to return, all the painful memories.

reverber
Rookie

Post by reverber » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:27 pm

hey skav snap

indeed im sure having one of the happiest moments of your life utterly destroyed for ever would do that to a man, to be honest if michael hadnt been as strong as he was he may have quit life qnd not just the foundation.

HungarianKnight
FLAG Recruit

Post by HungarianKnight » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:18 am

Scent of Roses was the ending episode in Hungary (we got the episodes scrambled, and only got the original order at the present-day airing). I remember the Hungarian original 1992 airing of it when I was a little kid, discussing with my buddies that what would have happened if Stevie survived. Finally, we agreed on that Kitt would have been converted into a family car :)