Where can I find the Red Scan light?

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

cxTurbo
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Where can I find the Red Scan light?

Post by cxTurbo » Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:32 pm

Back in the 80's the red scanning lights became popular on cars. A friend of mine put one on his Buick Regal. It was just wrong on so many levels that I was happy when he got busted by a cop a week later and had to remove it :)

Within the last year I bought two Honda CX Turbo motocycles. Neon is getting popular at the Hooters bike nights and I thought I'd do something unique with one of my bikes.
As a kid I always thought that if KITT was a motorcycle he'd be a CXT :) Every inch of the bike oozes computer equipment and sensors, they have massive turbo chargers and my favorite part is the Turbo Boost gauge in the dash...it's an LED BAR GRAPH that remindes me of KITT's voice light.

There's a small black grill under the headlight which would be perfect for one of those scanning red lights.

Does anyone know where I can still buy one of these? I see a seller has large ones (almost 2') on ebay. 12" or less is what I need. LED would be preferred so I can leave it running during a show without much battery drain.

If it comes down to it I will probably build a custom one but thought maybe someone here could point me in the right direction.

Thanks for reading,

George

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:46 am

KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

cxTurbo
Volunteer

Post by cxTurbo » Fri Jun 06, 2003 2:16 am

Thanks for the link!

Unfortunately they seem to be out of stock on everything but I did get good key words for ebay. "LED scanner" did the trick. Plentiful and cheap. :D

Dumbledore
Rookie

Post by Dumbledore » Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:48 am

http://www.markscustomkits.com/Exterior.html

i would recommend getting a yellow plastic cover (KARR), cause the red one is illegal to use on the road

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Sat Jun 07, 2003 2:51 pm

http://www.knightregistries.com has everything you need to find several suppliers of scanners. hope you find one you like!

DK

Andy101
Volunteer

Post by Andy101 » Sat Jun 07, 2003 3:01 pm

I make those but i don't sell just to put on my parent's car and arround the house where i think it may look cool i tried different movements too. You can find some schematics on my website but you'd rather buy one if you have no experience in electronics, or just e-mail me and i'll help you...

http://www.angelfire.com/scifi2/knight_rider/
Andy
13/m/Canada