Knight Rider IRC chat room?

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

_Mad_Man_2k
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Knight Rider IRC chat room?

Post by _Mad_Man_2k » Tue May 27, 2003 8:10 pm

Is there already an IRC based KR chat room?
If not, maybe one could be registered with whatever server.

Vchat20
Operative

Post by Vchat20 » Tue May 27, 2003 8:31 pm

I could possibly help out with something like that. got a nice chat program that you all could be interested in. ;)

it is called Vchat (what my name came from). it basically uses normal IRC chat rooms, but if you add a certain bit of code to the chat room topic, vchat turns that room into a 3D chat room. and the 3D aspect of it is very customizable as far as images in the room goes. if you like this idea, plz say so and I can post some links.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Tue May 27, 2003 10:09 pm

we used to have one through dal.net, but they are always so slammed by DOS attacks. KITT has opened up one on a pretty stable server that you are welcome to join us at.

You can connect two ways:

Via Web at: http://chat.cjb.net/knightrider

Or your favorite IRC client through servers irc.planetjurai.org, irc.simon1.net, or irc.mircx.com channel #knightrider

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Tue May 27, 2003 10:10 pm

Neil set one up a while back at one of the major IRC networks. I'm pretty sure it was #KnightRider.

But, which network? Been so long that I don't remember.

Vchat20
Operative

Post by Vchat20 » Tue May 27, 2003 10:18 pm

ok. just thought I would post this screen as a teaser.

btw, the current KR chat room can very easily be converted to a 3D chat room. just a single line of code needs added to the topic.

ok. looks like images might be disabled here. so here is the link to that img: http://s5299839.hostultra.com/Vchat20/vchat.jpg

_Mad_Man_2k
Recruit

Post by _Mad_Man_2k » Wed May 28, 2003 12:36 am

sure, sounds fun to convert it to VChat if other people go for it.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed May 28, 2003 7:17 am

You are able to post images here, but it looks like your host doesn't allow remote browsing of images. You'll need to copy that url into your browser for it to work.

The client looks interesting, is it cross platform? How hard is it to design a custom room? Does it create a weird browsing environment for those not using the client? Does it spew extra code?

Vchat20
Operative

Post by Vchat20 » Wed May 28, 2003 7:27 am

well, no. it is Windows only. I havent been able to do a completely scratch 3D model for a room myself, though I do know a couple ppl who have. but I can very easily use a current room and just edit it (which is allowed btw). yes, for those not using the client, it does spew code into the chat. but I have made a very simple mIRC script that takes care of that.

what I am most likely going to do at this point since there is already a KR chat running. I will just set up like a clone room on that same server, but it will be 3D.

what I will ask though is for you guys to go to the current Vchat dedicated server and see which rooms you do like and tell me which one you would like used for the Kr chat. just follow these instructions to do so.

1) go to http://mar8.8m.com/download_page.html and download vchat 2.0 from any of the links
2) once installed, run it.
3) connect to server vchat.techin.net
4) go into any and all rooms and see which ones you like

and once a definite 3D room has been selected, I will need your help on what exactly should be put where as far as KR related pictures go.

DJGM
FLAG Assistant

Post by DJGM » Wed May 28, 2003 10:36 am

RE: Cross platform IRC clients . . .

The only genuinely cross platform IRC client, that works on Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and other platforms
that I'm aware of is ChatZilla. It comes with the Mozilla Application Suite, and can added as an extension,
to other Mozilla based browser applications, such as Netscape 7.x, and Mozilla Firebird . . .

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed May 28, 2003 10:50 am

Well there are differences. IRC the technology is cross platform, you have mIRC on windows (with others) and you have Ircle and X-Chat on Mac (as well as others), which both connect to the same servers and give you the same experience.

This VChat that vchat20 is talking about adds basically a GUI ontop of the IRC experience, much like a program called Palace used to do. It's designed by Microsoft and only exists as a Windows version. It's probably a proprietary format as well, so even if someone on another platform wanted to create a similar program, the documents needed aren't there.

So anyone, weither they are Linux, Windows or Mac OS X can access the text based standard interface. You will need a Windows machine to be able to see the GUI interface. This is why I asked vchat if the people on the non GUI interface will see noise, to which they replied yes. This turns me off on the GUI idea, because even though there are more Windows then Mac users, the people that want to or will use the GUI may be few compaired to those that just use the text base, and it will create a "dirty" environment for the rest of us.

Vchat20
Operative

Post by Vchat20 » Wed May 28, 2003 1:54 pm

and I said I have made an mIRC script that rids you of all that junk. and which it should be very easy to convert for other irc clients as they pretty much all run by the same language as far as IRc commands go.

well, i think what i will do (and i'm sure I posted this already), is I will just start a clone room if you will of the current KR chat. but it will be 3D. so ppl have their choice of 3D or plain text.

P.S. anyone know of a bot or something that can transfer text from one room to another? cuz that would work out if we had the 2 rooms.

Andy101
Volunteer

I could...

Post by Andy101 » Wed May 28, 2003 5:30 pm

I could host a server with some cheap or free client... So we can connect with mIRC or a java applet. But first i have to convince my dad to buy a router so i can connect my 486 which i could let it online 24/7... But i won't be able to moderate it much.. I'll need opers :D.. I always wanted to have my own IRC server. I could get something like irc.knightrider.com but it would be two expensive since i spent all my 'babysitting' money on a new bike..hehe..
maybe irc.knightrider.no-ip.com Would be free and fun..

Or an easyer way would be to host it on some server that dosen't have much people but wont go down fast... irc.mwweb.com sounds ok...

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Wed May 28, 2003 7:13 pm

i'd suggest the ops being people with experience and responsibility of having the power. too often i run into people that kick out innocent people just for the sole purpose of kicking them out.

KITT
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed May 28, 2003 8:54 pm

well it is alot of fun....

but I agree, be careful to those whom you let weild the power.

Vchat20
Operative

Post by Vchat20 » Wed May 28, 2003 9:50 pm

well, right now I think I will let just moderators of some well known KR boards be ops (that is if they want to. ;))

Andy101, I appreciate the offer, but I think we will stay on the same server as the current KR chat. pretty much the only difference in chat rooms is the new one will be called #V-KnightRider and it will be 3D.

so, I guess everyone is for this now, just waiting for opinions on what current Vchat rooms you guys like.

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Thu May 29, 2003 12:16 pm

neps wrote:well it is alot of fun....
*bops neil*

KITT
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."

Vchat20
Operative

Post by Vchat20 » Thu May 29, 2003 3:06 pm

Already got the room registered under #V-KnightRider . it is on the same server as the current Kr chat room. and yet again, I would urge you to go HERE and get Vchat before enetering the chat room. atleast then you can experience the 3D experience.

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Thu May 29, 2003 7:29 pm

I used to write mIRC game programs. (See my information under my nick for the URL.) But, I've never tried for a room-to-room connection program. Though, I have seen one in action, before. Not sure how it worked.

I do have an idea on how to do one with a buffer. But, it has been so long and my PC's down, so I can't look up the help files or experiment. But, it could work in a similar mannor as the combat engine. My theory is to have two mIRC programs running at the same time. Each program is running it's own bot. And, each bot is in a different room. The bot in the graphics enhanced room could be running the 'junk code' remover program and be writing the finished text output to a data file. The other bot in the text only room simply has to be running several timer-powered lines of code. The first one checks for anything in the first line of the data file for any sort of text. The second timer reads from the top line and prints it in the room. And, the third timer deletes the top line of text from the data file. (You'd be amazed at how well this works for my combat engine...once I figured out how to make the timers pull off the programming code.) With the correct timing, you can almost secure your text only bot from a flood related kick. However, if the graphics room should get busy, the data file 'buffer' will lag quite a bit. Which could mean that a conversation that took place in the graphics room will be churned out over 30 minutes later in the text only room. You could always get tricky and have two bots alternate the reading of the 'buffer' data file during peak activity, of course. Though, I'm not sure what happens when one program is writing to a text file while another one is reading/deleting at the same time. There always could be some sort of file corruption danger that I'm unaware of.

As for kicking people out just for the heck of it...I'd agree that it is fun. But, where I IRC'ed at, there were enough losers around to kick out. You know...the ones that always have the hacker software to knock everyone in a room off.

Vchat20
Operative

Post by Vchat20 » Thu May 29, 2003 7:59 pm

well, from the looks of it I can pretty much forget about synching up the text in both rooms for now. but right now the main part im worried about is actually getting the 3D room done. anyone actually check the rooms that were already done and find out which one you like?

KittKift2000
Volunteer

Post by KittKift2000 » Sat May 31, 2003 5:42 am

Yeah i have in my website, my own Knight Rider IRC script

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sat May 31, 2003 9:58 am

And what does this script do?

KittKift2000
Volunteer

Post by KittKift2000 » Sun Jun 01, 2003 9:40 am

Its just like Mirc program but with a Knight Rider visual.
It has mp3 reader etc...

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Sun Jun 01, 2003 4:44 pm

i have a script that tells what music i'm listening to at the moment for mirc.. it's fun to use.. except my speakers aren't working right so i just listen to the radio.

KITT