Who should play the new cybernicien (cant spell it, lol)

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

SadArticle
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by SadArticle » Tue Jan 21, 2003 5:12 am

Will there even be a female technician? I agree that the role of Bonnie was the 80s version of Miss Moneypenny, as Army_F_Body touched on - an intelligent female character that was safe from the 'charms' of the hero. Bonnie even had a traditionally male job, and held her own very well working with Michael and Devon everyday.

Is the template of male 'young loner', patrician boss, and female technician vital to the series?

There will undoubtedly be a female character (female Devon, anyone?), just to appeal to a wider demographic, but a teenybop film would probably have her succumbing to the 'new' Michael's charms after all the adventure and tension is passed. The character will probably be strong and 'ballsy', but will give into romance in the end.

Sarah
We'll never get the smell out of the upholstery - Kitt, Knightlines

Cuda426440
Recruit

Post by Cuda426440 » Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:35 am

I think that Kelly Hu could do a great job as Kitt's mechanic.

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:55 pm

Hey, while we're nominating board members for cast positions, let it be known that I'm available for the role of KITT's new driver. :lol:

Seriously though, what do you guys think of a Kirsten Dunst as Bonnie? Better yet, Leah Remini, who is an experienced actress, very attractive, but yet smart, and relatively unknown to the masses.

http://www.leahremini.net/

DK

knightshade
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightshade » Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:23 pm

SadArticle wrote:There will undoubtedly be a female character (female Devon, anyone?), just to appeal to a wider demographic, but a teenybop film would probably have her succumbing to the 'new' Michael's charms after all the adventure and tension is passed. The character will probably be strong and 'ballsy', but will give into romance in the end.

Sarah
I agree with you that that would probably be the case, but I suspect it has a lot to do with the genre. In a movie, you can have a pair of lead characters get romantically involved and not have to worry about the repurcussions. In the sequel, if there even is one, you can assume time has past, have the dashing Michael out on his own again and leave the details of the messy breakup nice and vague. Or bring both leads back and work with the relationship, but the point is there are plenty of options. In a series on the other hand, if your characters get involved your stuck with it. All the ins and outs, the fights, the jealousies, etc. The writers are stuck with that situation from week to week. And it seems that shows rather notoriously jump the shark (is that the witty term for it -- I've forgotten -- I'm so unhip :D ) after their leads get involved. Moonlighting anyone? So I think that's why you see a lot of the resisting temptation in series -- the writers know its just best not to go there. Look at X-Files even. Everyone was clammoring for a relationship and they didn't go there until after they knew that Duchovny was gone and they weren't going to have to show a relationship and all its problems on screen. Especially for an action show, relationships change a lot of the formulas.

But yeah, I would expect a relationship in a movie, but I think it might be a damsel in distress as opposed to a female technician or Devon-type character. ::shrugs:: Just a guess though.

IceKnight
Rookie

Post by IceKnight » Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:51 pm

Can't believe it took me this long, but I gots three words for y'all:
HOLLY MARIE COMBS.
She's young.
She's HOTTT, but in a girl next door way.
She can play tomboy-ish, yet still be feminine.
And as of right now, I think she's only doing Charmed.

Any takers? :D

SadArticle
Operative

Post by SadArticle » Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:19 am

Yes, but Holly Marie Combs is Charmed, now. I don't think that would work. I like her as Piper, but she's forever attached herself to the character, in my mind.

For all my 'Tiffany Thiessen' promotion, I think it will definitely have to be someone new or relatively unknown.

Sarah
We'll never get the smell out of the upholstery - Kitt, Knightlines

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:46 pm

So I have thought long and hard. Well not exactly hard, and maybe just for a bit. But the Bonnie I think of would be someone along the lines of Jennifer Connelly (requiem for a dream, the hulk, a beautiful mind) or Bridget Moynahan (The recruit, sum of all fears, coyote ugly).

Connelly is more of an all good package, good look great acting. Moynahan I am going on look alone, as I have only seen her in The Sum of All Fears in which she appears for about 10 minutes. and the trailer for The Recruit.