1/18 Die Cast KITT Coming In December

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Dave Knight » Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:02 am

HondaSiR wrote:
PBH wrote:NO ORANGE?!? YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yup! No orange foglamps in sight...they probably had a lot of complaints (from us?) regarding those inaccuracies. Now all that remains to touch up are those infernal white tire letterings.
well like i said, just get some Testors Thinner or Brush Cleaner and a soft paper towel and if the thinner dulls the finnish of the rubber tire just spray some armorall or other vinyl cleaner onto a different towel and rub it arround the sidewall of the tires :wink:
Michael: "You know, your as much fun as a divorce, which is not a bad idea!"
KITT: "I want custody of ME!"

Knight Rider: The Pilot

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:34 am

Actually, I kinda like the white letterings on the tyres even though it is not show accurate... If I'm not mistaken, it says "Goodyear" right?

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:51 am

Correct, they say "Goodyear." The thing is, K.I.T.T. did have this lettering on his tires, only in black. I'm liking the idea of the paint thinner though, which I plan to use once I buy the model. By using the paint thinner though, unless the lettering is printed onto the tires and then colored white, it will move the lettering completely.

As for the K.A.R.R. model, once I purchase it, I plan to paint a thin silver trim over the wheel wells for more accuracy (judging by the picture it doesn't look like he has it). I've never painted over a die-cast finish before however, so is there a recommended method to do this? I was planning on picking up some silver paint and a small brush at a hobby store and simply painting it on with the aid of some tape for neatness.

One other question, the 3 fog lights that KITT & KARR have also kind of bug me, I was thinking of painting over one light on each side. It might be too early to ask this question since we don't know if the lights are stickers yet, but would regular black paint do?

Yes, I'm obsessive-compulsive when it comes to accuracy! :lol:
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:02 am

THOSE in the pics are going for under £30? what a bargain!

Makes me wonder why aoshima would charge stupid money for the same kinda cars, their's were even smaller.

the paint job looks exactly like aoshima's.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:47 am

This car is looking hot! Thanks to everyone that has been posing images of them! Gotta place my order...

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:07 pm

Skav wrote:THOSE in the pics are going for under £30? what a bargain!

Makes me wonder why aoshima would charge stupid money for the same kinda cars, their's were even smaller.

the paint job looks exactly like aoshima's.
...must have missed something Skav. The ERTL 1:18 KITT is going for £30. The Aoshima 1:18 is quoted at £40 on hlj.com. The 1:43 where around £25. By the time you added customs and shipping the cost would have hit £30 on the 1:43. I thought it was a fair price as its alot harder to build a smaller model. Anyway, the cost will be alot more on the 1:18 Aoshima car...verging at around £50. I'm alittle confused though. All these recent shots have come from the Aoshima version. I'm assuming this as they seem to be from Japanese sites and shows. It still hasn't settled my concerns on the ERTL version. Like I was saying about the Transformers, there could be variations between them eg those indicators lights might be on the ERTL version but the tyres may not have the white lettering???

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:27 pm

sarfraz wrote:It still hasn't settled my concerns on the ERTL version. Like I was saying about the Transformers, there could be variations between them eg those indicators lights might be on the ERTL version but the tyres may not have the white lettering???

Sarfraz
On no! Memories of orange haunt me again!!!

Also, I hope that the scanner has a "tail" that follows the lit light. I hated the fact that KIFT's scanner didn't have a tail (or trail) that followed the lit light in Knight Rider 2000.
Phil
On Facebook & MySpace :-)

"One man can make a difference. Like Orville Redenbacher"

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:37 pm

Sarfraz, I thought the cars in those pics WERE the ertl models? everyone started talking about the fixed foglight so that's why i assumed it was the ertl cars. obviously, they are the aoshima's.

Given the choice, I would rather pay extra for the aoshima's then....the ones in the last set of pics. they look superb!

i will get mine off ebay, that way i skip custom charges, especially if they are already over here to be shipped from some location.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:47 pm

Skav wrote:Given the choice, I would rather pay extra for the aoshima's then....the ones in the last set of pics. they look superb!
It would seem that there is a great price difference between the ERTL and the Aoshima, the ERTL being significantly cheaper. The reason probably has something to do with accuracy and packaging, with Aoshima being more accurate to the show (no orange lights). If this is the case, then I am willing to fork out the extra money in order to acquire the Aoshima. If you're going to buy one version, you might as well go for the best. I just hope the Aoshima makes it to where I am, if not, then ebay is the last resort.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:42 pm

You guys are tempting me to order the Aoshima version.... What if ERTL's turns out to be exactly the same as Aoshima's??? Also, the shipping cost is not finalized yet at HLJ.... Around how much in US$ or UK pounds will the shipping (SAL) probably cost at HLJ?

I have actually preordered the ERTL KITT at http://www.diecastmuscle.com. Has anybody here ordered stuff from that site? Is it good and reliable?

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:24 pm

Skav wrote:Sarfraz, I thought the cars in those pics WERE the ertl models? everyone started talking about the fixed foglight so that's why i assumed it was the ertl cars. obviously, they are the aoshima's.

Given the choice, I would rather pay extra for the aoshima's then....the ones in the last set of pics. they look superb!

i will get mine off ebay, that way i skip custom charges, especially if they are already over here to be shipped from some location.
To be honest I don't know one way or the other....jsut speculating on what I see...which is loads of Aoshima KR pics! The price is bugging me more than anything else. I would think that the models were probably made in the same factory in China and shipped to ERTL in the states and Aoshima in Japan. Therefore, the overall costs should be about the same so its not obvious why theres a £10 difference.

Imrans right though, the ERTL could just turn out to be the exact same model. Those cars are going to be very heavy though so shippping costs are going to be high. I have to say, hlj.com SAL shipping option is the cheapest far-east postal option I have used. Its because of this that they tend to beat ebay sellers whose costs seem dubious at best.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Matthew » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:30 pm

I don't know if any of you have considered this, but having seen pictures of the two completed prototype models, I think that the cost is down to the fact that the Ertl version is a model that will require us to put it together ourselfs, whilst the Aoshima one, as we know, is a diecast one.

From Matthew

Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

What?

Post by corlando52 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:47 pm

Also, I hope that the scanner has a "tail" that follows the lit light. I hated the fact that KIFT's scanner didn't have a tail (or trail) that followed the lit light in Knight Rider 2000.
Phil,
I don't think it can be done with LED's...I've tried. The "trail" you see on KITT is from the lamps slowly going out after they've lit. Even conversions have a problem with this, and most use HEL lights for this effect. LED's are either on or off. No afterglow. I'd LOVE to find a circuit that could do it, but it might require grain of wheat bulbs instead of LEDs, and that's just a whole other circuit.

I think that the cost is down to the fact that the Ertl version is a model that will require us to put it together ourselfs, whilst the Aoshima one, as we know, is a diecast one.
Matthew,
I don't know where you get that from, but as far as any discussion I've ever read on any board or site, Ertl is definately NOT a kit, but a diecast assembled model.

Everyone,
I think it's going to be very interesting to see if Aoshima=Ertl.
Personally, I think they will be the same model. The Chicago con is right around the corner, and if I get pictures of the Ertl, I will definately post them here.

Chris

Matthew
Site Administrator

Re: What?

Post by Matthew » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:50 pm

corlando52 wrote:
I think that the cost is down to the fact that the Ertl version is a model that will require us to put it together ourselfs, whilst the Aoshima one, as we know, is a diecast one.
Matthew,
I don't know where you get that from, but as far as any discussion I've ever read on any board or site, Ertl is definately NOT a kit, but a diecast assembled model.
You could be right, but the picture of the Ertl one in my previous post doesn't look remotly like a diecast model to me. :)

From Matthew
Last edited by Matthew on Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:07 pm

Matthew wrote:I think that the cost is down to the fact that the Ertl version is a model that will require us to put it together ourselfs, whilst the Aoshima one, as we know, is a diecast one.
I have also verified this with local merchants who confirm that the upcoming Ertl model is in-fact a diecast model. The photo of the prototype may be just that... a prototype. Thus, it may have been made of molded plastic.
Phil

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:11 pm

PBH wrote:
Matthew wrote:I think that the cost is down to the fact that the Ertl version is a model that will require us to put it together ourselfs, whilst the Aoshima one, as we know, is a diecast one.
I have also verified this with local merchants who confirm that the upcoming Ertl model is in-fact a diecast model. The photo of the prototype may be just that... a prototype. Thus, it may have been made of molded plastic.
Well if thats the case PHB, then the price difference is very strange indeed.

From Matthew

pewter 02ws6
Operative

Post by pewter 02ws6 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:53 pm

imranbecks wrote:have actually preordered the ERTL KITT at http://www.diecastmuscle.com. Has anybody here ordered stuff from that site? Is it good and reliable?
unless i can find my diecast significantly cheaper from somewhere else(which is rare),i always deal with diecast muscle.9 times out of 10 they are the cheapest and run good specials selling certain 1:18 cars for under $10. also, i doubt you will ever find a place with better customer service.i recently ordered a 1:18 trans am.upon inspecting it,i noticed some light scuffs across the hood(defect from the manufacturer).there were hardly noticeable but i am very picky about my diecast.i called them,informed them of my problem and they had me send it back to them.a few days after i sent it back,a new one that arrived at my door only days later and they reinbursed me of the shipping cost in full(no questions asked).that is their policy and i have yet to find a place that will back the customer like they do.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:08 pm

You can say that right now, I'm in a dilemma... Coz I really don know which one I shd get... Aoshima or ERTL? If I were to go for Aoshima's, I will have to pay more.....but I fear that after paying more, the model would turn out to be exactly like ERTL's... What if there are no variations at all between the two... (ie; Aoshima = ERTL, ERTL = Aoshima)

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:17 am

More pics..... Hold your jaw!!!

Last edited by imranbecks on Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:25 am

They're looking good...the driver's seat is still way too close to the steering wheel. The orange foglight is not orange anymore but it is longer and larger than the rest???

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:05 am

Man, I hope Ertl takes pointers from Aoshima! These really look awesome dispite minor inaccuracies!
Phil

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:50 am

what impressed me about those pics is that on the last pic, you can see KARR's voice mod and it's YELLOW!!!!! that's how much attention to detail those cars have had.

can't wait!!!!

themarvelous3
Operative

Post by themarvelous3 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:10 am

yellow and LOOKS lit up

themarvelous3
Operative

Post by themarvelous3 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:12 am

doesnt look like a twin turbine engine to me : )

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:52 am

looks lit up but i didn't mention that cos i don't wanna jinx anything. ;)

could just be a holographic sticker.