KI3T Interior: What if?

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

ThomasKnight
Operative

Re: KI3T Interior: What if?

Post by ThomasKnight » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:52 pm

I've made it in 800x600 size, because it's only a first vision. It was enough for me, and the basic picture was in that size. All I can do is resize it like this:

"One man can make a difference"
Knight Rider forever

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by cloudkitt » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:25 am

ThomasKnight wrote:Ride on ! :D
:good: That's what I'm talking about! :good:
Let me show you the dash(posted another place in forum as well), I've designed for it:

Hope you like it! 8)

:kitt:
From someone who has no problems with the touchscreen in the show, that dash looks freaking awesome. KI2T's dash looked futuristic in the 80s but would look dumb in car today, in that you managed to get a fancy dash to look just as futuristic, very cool.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:40 pm

I was thinking if they would take the mama steering wheel from the pilot episode,cut offthe bottom circular part to get it a gulwing look,kept the center console,the orb and the touchscreen windsheild would make the interior pretty cool to me at least.

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:18 pm

Knight Racer, don't you mean MOMO steering wheel?
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:57 am

Not sure I thought it said mama the whole time and was wondering why did it say that?

Anyone know why it said momo?

Funny thing is in the pilot of the original series the words knight two thousand also disapeared after the first episode.In this pilot the entire wheel went bye bye.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:00 am

I think MOMO is a car modification company. Could be wrong though
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

ThomasKnight
Operative

Post by ThomasKnight » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:57 am

I think it would be cool if the original KI2T dash and the steering wheel could reborn in new, familiar form, added with the touch windscreen. They can make it, but they just don't want to make it -sad- :|
Where's the man with the difference :?: We need him badly :!:
Knight Rider forever

ThomasKnight
Operative

Post by ThomasKnight » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:49 pm

Hey everyone! :D
Check out this updated concept :!:
I think the MOMO steering wheel parts are looking very good 8)
Knight Rider forever

FLAGCEO
Operative

Post by FLAGCEO » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:08 pm

cloudkitt wrote:I think MOMO is a car modification company. Could be wrong though

MOMO is a company that manufactures racing car parts, including racing steering wheels.

For your replicas, you're better off using the stock steering wheels that came with the Mustang, because if you replace your airbag-equipped steering wheel, apparently it disables ALL of the airbags in your car, making the car no longer street-legal to drive around in, and also rather dangerous.
Bring Knight Rider back for Season 2!!

AndrewGTR
Volunteer
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by AndrewGTR » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:14 am

i wanted to c d redefined of KI2T and KI3T combo...dat means...er i'l juz describe cz i hav no pix XP....cut steering jz on the top,d orb will definitely stay,the meters will be mor 'digital' look and ofcz COOL HUD will stay...b patient till i done my sketches...

AndrewGTR
Volunteer

Post by AndrewGTR » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:25 am

cloudkitt wrote:I think MOMO is a car modification company. Could be wrong though
you are right!!^^ momo is a modification part company..it is very popular...dont you know it??

TURBOBOOST27
Rookie

Post by TURBOBOOST27 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:20 pm

Love that interoir dude, it sleek, stylish and reminicent of the original. if they'ld just give us a second season may it could have made it into kitt. :kitt2:
Dayne Rampersad

ThomasKnight
Operative

Post by ThomasKnight » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:24 pm

Thanks for the kind words.
The reason for that interior design was exactly to show that a familiar interior to the original could be a big change for the car just as the exterior. I think the pilot episode design was a good direction, but they've turned into another one and that good start was stopped there, but the good thing about K.I.T.T. is:
the car can return in any time and any place, in so many forms, because it's a timeless idea of a perfect wehicle the car of the future and we never get bored of it :!:
Design can change, but it's always important to stay respectfull for the original idea and direction and it will definetly work well :good:
:dash4: :wink:
Knight Rider forever

ex812
Recruit

Post by ex812 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:38 pm

For your replicas, you're better off using the stock steering wheels that came with the Mustang, because if you replace your airbag-equipped steering wheel, apparently it disables ALL of the airbags in your car, making the car no longer street-legal to drive around in, and also rather dangerous

Where did you come up with this??? Cars did not have airbags for a long time and people got by fine without them. Also disabling or removing the airback in no way makes your car illegal to drive on the street. In fact a lot of new cars have airbag disable switches so you can turn them off.

Pierre
FLAG Recruit

Post by Pierre » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:23 am

hum but were relocating the horn or the cruise control ?

FLAGCEO
Operative

Post by FLAGCEO » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:52 pm

ex812 wrote:For your replicas, you're better off using the stock steering wheels that came with the Mustang, because if you replace your airbag-equipped steering wheel, apparently it disables ALL of the airbags in your car, making the car no longer street-legal to drive around in, and also rather dangerous

Where did you come up with this??? Cars did not have airbags for a long time and people got by fine without them. Also disabling or removing the airback in no way makes your car illegal to drive on the street. In fact a lot of new cars have airbag disable switches so you can turn them off.
I'm a lawyer. I get paid to "come up with this".

Federal law requires all new cars to have a certain number of airbags. There was an exception carved out for front passenger airbags because of the risks posed to small children and/or car seats in the front passenger seat. My cars all automatically disable the front passenger airbag when my 3 year old gets in the car (or I put a grocery bag on the seat with less than 40 lbs of weight), and some actually have switches that allow you disable the front passenger airbag - note that there is no switch to disable other airbags.

Cars that were manufactured prior to the effective date of the first federal law requiring airbags would obviously be "grandfathered" in and not subject to the new regulations. But ANY 2004+ mustang would be required to have a drivers and front passenger airbag. Keep in mind that the show cars used for KR08 were not used for driving on the street - except for filiming.

"Street legal" essentially would mean that you may not pass certain inspections in certain states that do inspections. You may not be able to get registration for the car in certain instances (some states require inspections before registration), and you may void the manufacturer's warranty (Ford) on the whole car. If you had an accident where someone was injured (but could have been prevented by an airbag that no longer works or is removed), not only would you probably get a ticket, but you'd be open to a pretty hefty lawsuit by the injured person against you. Also, insurance companies may not insure your car or may deny coverage/claims without working airbags if the car was manufactured with them, but you removed/disabled them (and especially if you didn't get their permission first). Plus if you were sued for personal injuries, your insurance company may not cover the lawsuit because you would have modified the car in a manner that invalidates your insurance policy. Would a cop give you a ticket for not having the airbags? Not necessarily, unless you get into an accident - then you probably would.

And if you lose your insurance coverage, many states will suspend either your car's registration or the driver's license of the owner (I know they do that for sure in Florida).

So, although I ususally don't give legal advice without sending a big bill to someone, a few tips before removing the steering wheel:
(1) check to see whether your state does car inspections, and if it does, then find out whether they check that the airbags are functional.
(2) check with your insurance company whether your customizing your car in a manner that either removes or disables the airbags would affect your insurance policy. If they don't care, then there's nothing stopping you. If they do care, chances are that either your premium will go up (a lot), or your policy will be terminated if you do the modification.
(3) check your warranty or contact Ford to make sure you don't void the warranty by making such a modification.

2K&3KKITT
Operative

Post by 2K&3KKITT » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:54 pm

imranbecks wrote:
WIBoomer1 wrote:KI3T has nanotechnology, which permits him to change into other vehicles, down to the seats, tires, steering wheel...come on, folks. It make PERFECT sense that if we get a 2nd season of KR, KI3T will get upgraded to the 2010. Why would Ford want an older model be it's FLAGship...?
No!!! I hope they will still continue to use the current GT500KR if they do a 2nd season... It looks better than the 2010..
Yeah. Plus, Ki2t didn't get changed between the first and second seasons and it was the same between the other seasons. I think that if Ki3t was to get an upgrade like that, it would be too big too soon. And I LOVE Ki3t as the 2008 Mustang Shelby Cobra GT500KR! Interior and all!
SAVE KNIGHT RIDER! Sign this petition! I was #205! One of the first!
http://www.gopetition.com/online/23816.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:kittspin:
Read my Stories!
http://kileandkasey.webs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit

Post by WIBoomer1 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:43 pm

2K&3KKITT wrote: Yeah. Plus, Ki2t didn't get changed between the first and second seasons and it was the same between the other seasons. I think that if Ki3t was to get an upgrade like that, it would be too big too soon. And I LOVE Ki3t as the 2008 Mustang Shelby Cobra GT500KR! Interior and all!
The thing you have to remember is that the Firebird did not go thru a major body panel makeover during TOS' run. The interior seats did change, but that was about it. The nose and tail sections also did change, but since KI2T were custom, this really didn't matter. It's why you can purchase an 82-92 Firebird, and have a good chance to make it into a replica.

Now with the major body changes that the 2010 mustang has, added with the morphing that KI3T can do, it would have made sense for Ford to say, hey, we've got this new Mustang, let's make KI3T into it!

Kal-el4
Operative

Post by Kal-el4 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:37 am

here is the dash and console I want, as well as the interior lighting I want in my KI2T concept, once I win the lottery, and get him built. Image

the seats I wantImage

the odometersImage

and how I want the steering wheel to lookImage

Kal-el4
Operative

Post by Kal-el4 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:46 am

the gearshift I wantImage

the door paneling I wantImage (but switch the black in the background paneling, with the tan of the armrest)

and of course, how I want my KI2T's vox to look likeImage

and this is how black I want the dash to beImage

ex812
Recruit

Post by ex812 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:41 am

I'm a lawyer. I get paid to "come up with this".

Federal law requires all new cars to have a certain number of airbags. There was an exception carved out for front passenger airbags because of the risks posed to small children and/or car seats in the front passenger seat. My cars all automatically disable the front passenger airbag when my 3 year old gets in the car (or I put a grocery bag on the seat with less than 40 lbs of weight), and some actually have switches that allow you disable the front passenger airbag - note that there is no switch to disable other airbags.

Cars that were manufactured prior to the effective date of the first federal law requiring airbags would obviously be "grandfathered" in and not subject to the new regulations. But ANY 2004+ mustang would be required to have a drivers and front passenger airbag. Keep in mind that the show cars used for KR08 were not used for driving on the street - except for filiming.

"Street legal" essentially would mean that you may not pass certain inspections in certain states that do inspections. You may not be able to get registration for the car in certain instances (some states require inspections before registration), and you may void the manufacturer's warranty (Ford) on the whole car. If you had an accident where someone was injured (but could have been prevented by an airbag that no longer works or is removed), not only would you probably get a ticket, but you'd be open to a pretty hefty lawsuit by the injured person against you. Also, insurance companies may not insure your car or may deny coverage/claims without working airbags if the car was manufactured with them, but you removed/disabled them (and especially if you didn't get their permission first). Plus if you were sued for personal injuries, your insurance company may not cover the lawsuit because you would have modified the car in a manner that invalidates your insurance policy. Would a cop give you a ticket for not having the airbags? Not necessarily, unless you get into an accident - then you probably would.

And if you lose your insurance coverage, many states will suspend either your car's registration or the driver's license of the owner (I know they do that for sure in Florida).

You may be a lawyer that get paid to come up with these laws. I am however someone who gets paid to enforce them . I can tell you just because federal law requires cars to be manufactured with airbags in no way means you are required to have them to drive the vehicle. State laws will of course vary state to state. I would encourage people to check their state laws before doing anything. Many states do not require inspections, Georgia is one of those. I can tell you their is no law in the State of Georgia that requires airbags or you get a ticket.

Tom
Rookie

Post by Tom » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:41 am

I think KI3T looks awesome as it is, I would be sad if they changed it to look more like KI2T.

Edit: typo
"Pain is temporary, but the pride lasts forever"

FLAGCEO
Operative

Post by FLAGCEO » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:27 pm

ex812 wrote:You may be a lawyer that get paid to come up with these laws. I am however someone who gets paid to enforce them . I can tell you just because federal law requires cars to be manufactured with airbags in no way means you are required to have them to drive the vehicle. State laws will of course vary state to state. I would encourage people to check their state laws before doing anything. Many states do not require inspections, Georgia is one of those. I can tell you their is no law in the State of Georgia that requires airbags or you get a ticket.
I completely agree with you. Make sure to check your state's laws before doing anything.

In my post, I said that a police officer (presumably like yourself) may or may not give someone a ticket for inoperable airbags. Ex812, let me ask you this - if you're investigating an accident where a person was critically injured (let's say a passenger) in a KI3T replica where the airbags didn't work because they were disabled by the owner, would you give the owner (assuming it's the driver) a ticket for inoperable safety equipment? Perhaps not in Georgia, as you mentioned there's no law requiring airbags.

But my main point is this - many insurance companies require it for their coverage. Federal law requires car manufacturers to install them. If you remove or disable an airbag, you could invalidate your insurance, which could lead you losing your car's registration (which I'm sure you'd get a ticket for in Georgia), or get your license suspended (as in Florida). What's more, you could face a very significant lawsuit for anyone injured because of a disabled airbag. Plus, your insurance, which you pay to not only cover the cost of repairs, but also for fighting a lawsuit against you related to your use of your car, may not cover the lawsuit if you've modified the safety equipent in the car.

So please make sure that you've done your homework. In Florida, I know that we can't disable the airbags (at least not with my Allstate insurance) as there is a law about safety equipment generally in Florida. It may be different in your own state, so make sure you check before doing anything to the safety equipment!

Kal-el4
Operative

Post by Kal-el4 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:27 pm

FLAGCEO wrote:
ex812 wrote:You may be a lawyer that get paid to come up with these laws. I am however someone who gets paid to enforce them . I can tell you just because federal law requires cars to be manufactured with airbags in no way means you are required to have them to drive the vehicle. State laws will of course vary state to state. I would encourage people to check their state laws before doing anything. Many states do not require inspections, Georgia is one of those. I can tell you their is no law in the State of Georgia that requires airbags or you get a ticket.
I completely agree with you. Make sure to check your state's laws before doing anything.

In my post, I said that a police officer (presumably like yourself) may or may not give someone a ticket for inoperable airbags. Ex812, let me ask you this - if you're investigating an accident where a person was critically injured (let's say a passenger) in a KI3T replica where the airbags didn't work because they were disabled by the owner, would you give the owner (assuming it's the driver) a ticket for inoperable safety equipment? Perhaps not in Georgia, as you mentioned there's no law requiring airbags.

But my main point is this - many insurance companies require it for their coverage. Federal law requires car manufacturers to install them. If you remove or disable an airbag, you could invalidate your insurance, which could lead you losing your car's registration (which I'm sure you'd get a ticket for in Georgia), or get your license suspended (as in Florida). What's more, you could face a very significant lawsuit for anyone injured because of a disabled airbag. Plus, your insurance, which you pay to not only cover the cost of repairs, but also for fighting a lawsuit against you related to your use of your car, may not cover the lawsuit if you've modified the safety equipent in the car.

So please make sure that you've done your homework. In Florida, I know that we can't disable the airbags (at least not with my Allstate insurance) as there is a law about safety equipment generally in Florida. It may be different in your own state, so make sure you check before doing anything to the safety equipment!

Guys, don't be such downers. I realize you are both a lawyer and a cop, but please don't post stuff like this, it puts a damper on the spirits of those who want to build replicas. and, as for airbags, there are sites out there that specialize in replacing airbags that were disabled....

such as this one: http://www.airbags-oem.com/makers.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;