Edited re-runs on the Sci-Fi Channel

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

zerofreeze
Volunteer

Edited re-runs on the Sci-Fi Channel

Post by zerofreeze » Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:20 pm

This may have been brought up before, but did anyone notice that the sci-fi channel episodes are edited rather poorly? I realize that they really must make room for more commercials and the fantastic sci-fi channel promos/ids (yeah right), but do they have to cut out all the good parts? I was just reviewing an episode I recorded from season 2 where Michael and Kitt break out a guy from jail to prevent a bomb from going off (think it's called 'brothers keeper'). I distinctly remember KITT changing his License Plate in that episode, yet after checking my recording three times, it is not there. Not that it's a big deal, but I could think of a number of other parts that could have been cut besides that. Anyone got any more bad Sci-Fi chops that where made? I know there was a few from the pilot episode as well...I really hope they decide to re-run them unedited sometime in the future.

sofchance
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by sofchance » Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:26 pm

Yeah I actually just posted on that:

SciFi Channel makes strange cuts. For instance, on "Knight of the Fast Lane" today they cut out KITT's turbo boost through the football goal post. Come on, that's a great moment and they cut that out? Why couldn't they just cut out some of the other shots of KITT just driving around, or some of the beginning of the chase at the end?

And for "Knight of the Drones" they could have cut out the scene where Holston brought JAckson and Wong the drinks and it would have left room for KITT's new introduction, but no, they cut out the better scene!

I for one really missed that scene, I mean not only is it a great scene by itself, it has great continuity with the first episode (when Devon showed Michael KITT's interior in a similar fashion).

sofchance
Rookie

Post by sofchance » Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:28 pm

But don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see Knight Rider at all. I didn't get a chance to see the USA reruns, so now it's that much sweeter to see these episode after so many years.

In that regard, I can take some cuts if Knight Rider is still shown overall.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:29 pm

Before you all go on the bandwagon of blaming Sci-Fi, don't.

It's been posted before, by those who have watched the last run, that they are the EXACT same edits that were pulled off of the WGN runs, so they are most likely the same tapes that came from WGN, and Sci-Fi had NOTHING to do with it. They are just airing the episodes. And to be honest, the scenes that were taken out were for the most part, eye candy for us, not really impacting on the storyline.

KI

zerofreeze
Volunteer

Post by zerofreeze » Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:57 pm

As far as the 'eye candy' goes, that makes up most of the show. While some of the storylines are good, most of them are not that great, and we certainly do not watch the series for the great acting. I for one, find some of Michael's dorky pick-up lines hilarious. But in short, like many others I am just happy to see them back on the air, if I really wanted to push the issue on the edits I would just go out and buy the episodes in there original form, assuming those are not edited as well.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Mar 25, 2003 11:04 pm

The episodes released officially are not edited out, which is why they can charge for them. If you don't like the edited versions, shell out the dough and don't complain. Syndicuts are the price we pay to have it back on the air, and I for one can live without the little scenes that have nothing to do with the storyline, even if you don't think the storyline is worth watching.

KI

Newcastle knight
Operative

Post by Newcastle knight » Wed Mar 26, 2003 5:44 am

knightimmortal wrote:If you don't like the edited versions, shell out the dough and don't complain. Syndicuts are the price we pay to have it back on the air, and I for one can live without the little scenes that have nothing to do with the storyline, even if you don't think the storyline is worth watching.

KI
Or move here to the UK and watch them on Bravo...ok so thats not gonna happen, but i think Bravo have done a great job with the episodes here.

do you guys get the teasers before the intro ? ive seen White Bird from Sci-Fi and they did cut quite a few bits out.

the only stuff that gets cut out here is excessive violence like, knives and guns and stuff, so we miss about 30 seconds tops !

like somebody else said Knightimmortal, the eye candy makes knight rider, and i have to totally agree with that.

Scott

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Mar 26, 2003 1:23 pm

Glad you agree, however, the people who do the cuts don't care about the fact that you people are only entertained by the eye candy, and they still edit to storylines. That is the point I am trying to get across.

And by the way, you might be missing a little more than you think with the 'excessive violence' cut out. There was a lot of THAT in KR too.

KI

Newcastle knight
Operative

Post by Newcastle knight » Wed Mar 26, 2003 5:35 pm

na, we arent missing that much. some of the episodes are untouched. With the UP releases which are uncut, and i can watch them on Bravo again now you can compare with the eps you have.

Scott

KITTLOVER
Stranger

Post by KITTLOVER » Wed Mar 26, 2003 7:14 pm

KITT did changed his License Plate in that episode, of brothers keeper I remember it

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Mar 26, 2003 7:28 pm

To be honest, we aren't missing that much except a turbo boost here, and a turbo boost there, and by that time, we are already commercialed out. It just allows for CH to put that much more of a pricer tag on it, and yep, we will still buy it, for preservation purposes. (And not to mention, if we buy them, it gets rid of that pesky SciFi thing on the bottom.)

KI

KITTLOVER
Stranger

Post by KITTLOVER » Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:23 pm

That is true i would buy the whole KnightRider tv show but no one seels them around here
:(

pdennis93
FLAG Recruit

Post by pdennis93 » Fri Mar 28, 2003 11:27 pm

they did however cut some important scenes, like in knight of the drones part 2 they cut the whole showcase of kitts new features... ok so that could be considered eye candy but wouldnt you want ot know what kitt had ?

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Fri Mar 28, 2003 11:40 pm

They, for the most part, show it throughout the rest of the season, so they do sort of make up for it.

KI