Question about the Knight Rider Movie

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

paulknight
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by paulknight » Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:52 pm

THE NEW knight rider

Centaurus17
FLAG Recruit

Post by Centaurus17 » Thu Mar 13, 2003 6:28 pm

Knight Rider the Next Generation sounds wayyy to Trekkish. I think just "Knight Rider" would suffice.

Newcastle knight
Operative

Post by Newcastle knight » Thu Mar 13, 2003 6:42 pm

im with you on that one. We didnt get, Mission Impossible the next generation or whatever, as the saying goes, if it aint broken, dont fix it.

Knight Rider

that'll do for me

Scott

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Mar 13, 2003 7:27 pm

It will never be called just 'KR' because the old show is called that and, unless the movie will be a theatrical remake, the new film will definetely be called KR with something else.

I've never known a movie that, as far as we know right now, might carry on from the original show, to be called by it's show's original name.

A simple title like 'knight rider: the return' will do. then again, i do know that's a bit TOO simplistic so how about 'knight rider: return/resurrection of the pheonix.

actually i like that...return of the phoenix!! has a good ring to it.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Mar 13, 2003 7:30 pm

It is scheduled to be a theatrical release....from all the reports that this board has been going through, so I am guessing "Knight Rider" is still the best bet. And nothing has been said about it taking off from the original, or a remake of such. From the reports heard from the rumor mill, Knight Rider is the best bet.

But you might even see something as generic as: Knight Rider: The Movie.

But let's not get too carried away, people, after all, we have already seen the rumor mill create: Super Knight Rider (NOT even close) so remember, tread closely, we know not who may be watching us and using us as an offical source again. (evil glares at the IMDB)

KI

SeiferV440
Volunteer

Post by SeiferV440 » Thu Mar 13, 2003 7:35 pm

yea Knight Rider The Next Generation does sound kinda Trekkish... but it would definitly sound betta than Super Knight Rider 3000

anywho... Star Trek The Next Generation Rules

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Mar 13, 2003 7:45 pm

Skav wrote:It will never be called just 'KR' because the old show is called that and, unless the movie will be a theatrical remake, the new film will definetely be called KR with something else.

The history of remakes disagrees with you:

Mission Impossible stayed as Mission Impossible.
Charlies Angels stayed as Charlies Angels.
I Spy stayed as I Spy.
Wild Wild West stayed as Wild Wild West.

If the trend continues, Knight Rider will be called Knight Rider.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Mar 13, 2003 7:56 pm

what do you mean, Mike? i was saying the complete opposite, i said, UNLESS, its a remake, the title will change. if it's a remake, the title stays the same!

:P

and i'm not gonna be the first to try to start rumours but something rings in my head if it's to be a theatrical version........

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SeiferV440
Volunteer

Post by SeiferV440 » Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:03 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote: The history of remakes disagrees with you:

Mission Impossible stayed as Mission Impossible.
Charlies Angels stayed as Charlies Angels.
I Spy stayed as I Spy.
Wild Wild West stayed as Wild Wild West.

If the trend continues, Knight Rider will be called Knight Rider.
Well if thats the case... then KNIGHT RIDER should be called KNIGHT RIDER...after all KNIGHT RIDER is way betta than all of those shows you mention Michael Pajaro

nike2k
Volunteer

Post by nike2k » Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:21 pm

dont forget X Files that movie was just called X Files

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:29 pm

nope, x files: fight the future!

Skav

nike2k
Volunteer

Post by nike2k » Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:43 pm

well my copy fo the x files movie only has the title x files so maybe in the Uk it has a different title.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:49 pm

maybe, but going back to what KI said...even just to seperate the difference between series and movie, they could just add 'the movie' on the end of the title. so therefore, it's still not got the title of KR on its own but at least telling the audience the difference between the two versions.

if you guys in the US hasn't got 'fight the future' on your x files vid, surely it must have something like 'the movie' on it???

Skav

KITT's admirer
Volunteer

Post by KITT's admirer » Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:15 pm

i think if it dose turn out to be a good spin off from the series id like "knightrider" as the title. that way it is reconizable to a lot of people that may have watched the show before and have forgotten about it.

Centaurus17
FLAG Recruit

Post by Centaurus17 » Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:24 pm

Yup, I'd be very happy with "Knight Rider". All this super KR 3000 and all that just makes it sound ridiculously cheesy. Something simple like that would be perfect.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:25 pm

i was on a website today about boxing and they were taking the piss out of hasslehoff saying he should win the award for best career resurrections but the worst thing was they spelt knight rider without the k. its a long story why hasslehoff was bought into it but they were comparing him with a certain boxer.

its really not worth looking at though.

sorry that was OT from this thread but ive just read about it on the website and thought i'd bring it up asap before i forget.

Skav

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:58 pm

Skav wrote: if you guys in the US hasn't got 'fight the future' on your x files vid, surely it must have something like 'the movie' on it???

Skav
It switches between X-Files and X-Files: Fight The Future depending on the copy run. In the beginning, it had the full title, after a while, they just started to drop it back.

KI

paulknight
Volunteer

Post by paulknight » Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:53 pm

The Knight Rider

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Mar 14, 2003 12:11 am

I really hope they don't add "The Movie" or "The Motion Picture" to the title. It's wimpy. They shouldn't have to tell people it's a movie in a title. The ad campaign should do that all by itself. If they call it "Knight Rider: The Movie", that's sort of emphasizing the fact that making the move to the big screen is a big deal. I'd rather see the name stand on its own. Just "Knight Rider". I want to see the movie made and promoted with the confidence as if it always belonged on the big screen.

And I'm sorry, I find it hard to believe that people will be confused as to whether or not this is a new movie or the old TV show. Once the commercials start coming out, if people don't understand what "coming to theaters" means then they don't deserve to see the movie in the first place!

Let the press and the fans talk about "the Knight Rider movie". But let the name Knight Rider stand on its own.

Mike

Chuckysan
Volunteer

Post by Chuckysan » Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:11 am

Personally I think even having the name "knight rider" in the title demotes the movie to another cashcow wannabe flop.

I love the show, don't get me wrong, but lets face it, "knight rider" doesn't have the most reputable following as serious show. Its seen by the masses as a kiddie show. I would think that if they started throwing the name of the tv show around alot, it would make people stay home with the attitude "been there done that", or worse yet "gimme a break, ANOTHER tv movie?". But thats just me

Out of all those movies that were tv shows that have been mentioned, how many were trully successful? Only Charlies Angels, and thats more than likeley to Ms. Diaz more than anything. And you can add a few others onto that list as well; Lost in Space (flopped), Power Rangers (flopped) (yes I know its a kiddie show, but most people think that of KR too), Brady Bunch (flopped), Srg. Bilco (actually I think that one actually broke even if memeory serves), etc. etc. etc.

In todays market, you don't need to spoon feed the audience. " The Recruit" wasn't called "The CIA Recruit", nor is "Dreamcatcher" called "The Alien Catcher" and so on. Sure, 30 years ago you had to name your movies "Star Trek: The Motion Picture", etc, but today you don't.

Give the movie an actual title and then you have something to build a franchise out of in any direction thats popular. Think of all the Tom Clancy movies, great franchise, its audience knows its a all about the same character but its not pushed at the public as "Jack Ryan 4". If they call it "Knight Rider: *Anything*", nad ever want to do another they are permanelty stuck with "Knight Rider II: *blah blah blah*" and I personally think if you get stuck into that rut, the audience will stay away in droves.

But thats just me ....

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:23 am

There is only one problem with calling Knight Rider anything but Knight Rider.

People are going to be royally pissed off if you try to deceive them into anything else. They could call it "The Shadowy Flight" and the moment you see a vehicle that talks, people are going to say "Oh good god, it is a rip off of Knight Rider" at least this way, the trade name is there, with no deception, and you may be able to bank on the original fans to bring in the publicity, even for those who have a tendency of denying that they are fans. At least it wouldn't be a blatent case of false advertising.

It's sort of hard to hide the KR concept, and if they do, then by all means, they should change the name, and definitely not label it as a KR movie, but if it is true to the original, then they need to name it for what it really is.

KI

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:52 am

Chuckysan wrote:Out of all those movies that were tv shows that have been mentioned, how many were trully successful? Only Charlies Angels, and thats more than likeley to Ms. Diaz more than anything.
I'm not sure how to say this other than, "you're wrong". There is HUGE money to be made in bringing TV shows to the big screen. Here are some TV-remakes that have hit that magic $100 million mark. You'll notice that a lot of those are "kiddie shows". So Knight Rider would fit in perfectly. Note that these figures are NOT adjusted for inflation; $100 million a decade ago might be $130 or $150 today.

Grinch: $260 million
Mission Impossible 2: $215 million
The Fugitive: $183 million
Mission Impossible: $180 million
Scooby Doo: $153 million
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: $135 million
The Flintstones: $130 million
Charlies Angels: $125 million
Wayne's World: $121 million
The Addams Family: $113 million
Wild Wild West: $113 million
Star Trek IV: $109 million
George of the Jungle: $105 million
The Rugrats Movie: $100 million
Casper: $100 million

I did not include any of the Superhero movies (Bat, Super, Spider...) even though in a way those are similar to TV remakes.

Yes, there have been some bad flops bringing TV shows to the big screen. But there have been many original screenplay flops as well.

Mike

Edit: I want to mention that the numbers I quoted are from Variety and only show domestic gross, in other words ticket sales in the United States. Considering that Hasselhoff is practically worshipped internationally, Knight Rider has phenomenal potential.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:58 am

Question?

Were those figures domestically or internationally?

If they are domestic, then you can add to it, if they are internationally, then they still pulled some oomph, which is why I always get confused when people bash these remakes as being flops. Opinion wise, everybody has one, but many do make factual statements which are in fact opinions.

I sit behind Mike on this one, the facts....and figures speak very well for themselves.

Edit: Seeing that Mike edited his post to reflect it's domestic or international status, I feel a little better now in making my statement.

KI

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Mar 14, 2003 6:34 am

After thinking about it some more, I've decided to correct myself...there is 'spiderman', 'superman' and 'batman' so i guess kr could stand on it's own.

Skav

TheFastOne
Volunteer

Post by TheFastOne » Fri Mar 14, 2003 7:17 am

How about Knight Rider 2003? :D