KITT AS A MUSTANG - ACCEPT IT OR HATE IT POLL

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KITT AS A MUSTANG >>

ACCEPT IT
62%
HATE IT
38%

Total votes: 81

krfan1
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: KITT AS A MUSTANG - ACCEPT IT OR HATE IT POLL

Post by krfan1 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:36 pm

Thank you Scott,
One thing that always bugs me when a KR project happens is a chunk of the fans complain since it doesn't fully conform to their vision of what the newest project should look like (whether it's a new show, or a game). What many people fail to understand is that if a new KR project was tailored to the fans who are purists, the new project would fail very quickly. An example of this was the KR game. I was very thankful for Davilex making a KR game. Did it fully conform to the KR universe? Not entirely, but I enjoyed playing it since it was KR.

Is the new KR different? Yes! Is the new car different? Yes! But as Justin said, you can't mess with the original (since it wouldn't live up to the original) I had some similar feelings when the Mustang was unveiled (I didn't hate it, I was jut torn since the thing that got me into cars was KR (and KITT being a TA). But, it is a different time now, and I am getting pumped for the new movie.

As was said earlier, the car isn't everything. Did people like KITT as a TA? Yes, but the other part that made the show such a success was Hasselhoff, and the way he treated KITT -- as another person.

Hoping either of the new projects fail, regardless of vehicle, or actor chosen is immature, and pathetic!

When I was younger, I was only into GM cars (due to KR, and my father buying GM). But as I got older, I got more into cars, and started liking other companies (gasp!). If the NBCU KR had come out a year to two earlier, and a GTO been picked for the new car, all the purists would be bitching just like they are now.

The GM nuthugging/Ford bashing needs to stop!

krfan1

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:33 pm

I wonder: If K.I.T.T. was originally a Mustang, and the new car announced was a Trans Am (not mattering if it was an '02 or an '82), would the fandom be accepting to it? The Trans Am worked not only because it was a clean looking, sleek car, but because it was brand new and the show had no reputation to precede it. I believe the car worked because fans saw it as a character. I think it could have been almost any current vehicle and would have been accepted as it was.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:11 pm

Starting to sound like a NASCAR-forum here! Ford vs GM vs....Dodge? :lol:

People really do need to calm down, wait and watch. Then and only then can we make an informed decision. Dismissing the show purely on the car is insane. It was never designed to replace but compliment. Its taking place in the same universe for heaven-sakes!

My opinion on the car itself for what its worth. Its growing on me. Its not as pretty as the TA but the car probably reflects its environment. Its not meant to be anything but tough, powerful and imposing and the Mustang has that in spades. I suspect that if the tone of the show is slightly darker, then the car should reflect this.....kinda like Batman Begins if your thinking extreme.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:34 pm

Victor wrote:
KITT is a character as much as he is a car. Like an person, the car should be given as much attention to detail as an actor/actress gets with their wardrobe. In my opinion the clothes do not fit the character. I can easily accept this being a "new" Knight Rider but I cannot easily accept it being a "continuation" of the show I grew up with.

=VK=
I agree 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is exactly why I don't like the mustang.

It doesn't have to be a 1982 Trans Am, it can be a modern car, but it does have to be "kitt-esque". It has to look futuristic, streamlined, aerodynamic, high tech, like "the car of the future".

The Mustang is way too boxy. Mustang GT would be better, because it looks more streamlined.

--Brian

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:26 am

I'm not GM nuthugging. He coulda been a Jag for all I care...just not a ford...

I'm not an anti-Ford guy that will only buy GMs. I'll buy almost anything other than a Ford ;)

Granted, it could be much much worse. What if KITT was a Scion? :lol:
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

89IROCNDoug
Operative

Post by 89IROCNDoug » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:37 am

cloudkitt wrote: Granted, it could be much much worse. What if KITT was a Scion? :lol:
But I thought boxes were the style of today's cars! He would blend in so well !!! :lol:
(talking about the Scion XB)
One man did make a difference.

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:11 am

Who says he KI3000 is the same character as the KI2000, meaning maybe this KI3000 is a tough cookie and maybe even a little pushy... now that would fit perfectly with this car... Also Cloudkitt... I guess you should scrape the Jaguar of your list too as Jaguar is 100% Ford using Ford engines and Ford components, that's why their quality has made quantum leaps over the last few years.
Knight Rider, powered by Ford!

KnightSlider
Volunteer

Post by KnightSlider » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:16 pm

i voted against.
I will watch this show by curiosity, but i dont 't expect nothing from it...
Rushed!
that the only word that can describe this show.
Eveything, from the car, to the sript, casting,...has been rushed..
i dont like anything i have seen or read about this movie..
the plot is very trite (the son of, the daughter of..)
For the car they took the best commercial deal, a black paint , cut the top of the steering wheel,and go.
They didn't take any time to think about it, artistically..
I could have accepted this car if they worked a little bit on it..
make it more special..
but again, it's a big commercial for the Mustang, so the car must be as original as possible..
The should have call it "Rushed Rider"
or "money rider"
i'am afraid this show will finish like Knight Rider 2000.

tharpdevenport
Operative

Post by tharpdevenport » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:14 pm

Ugly as sin. No plans to watch the show. I see the "Accept It" people are winning, but not by much. such a high percent -- nearly half -- for those who hate it, should be a wake-up call the NBC.

I predict a mid-season cacellation. Besides, with the writer's strike on, they can't even write anything more than what they got now, and as I've read here, that's what? Just the pilot? They can't even make changes to the pilot.
And when things appeared to get better, they got worse, and everyday was a day to cry.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:21 pm

tharpdevenport wrote:I predict a mid-season cacellation. Besides, with the writer's strike on, they can't even write anything more than what they got now, and as I've read here, that's what? Just the pilot? They can't even make changes to the pilot.
You're getting ahead of yourself. There is no series yet. They are just doing a made-for-TV movie. After it airs, THEN NBC will decide if they want to continue and turn it into a series. At this point, there were never any plans to have additional episodes written.

All of the networks are in the same situation with the writer's strike. If the strike continues for an unusually long time, then the new Knight Rider series could be delayed - along with all other TV production. So that is an industry-wide problem, not an issue with this production.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

GNR2K6
Volunteer

Post by GNR2K6 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:06 pm

Lol! I can't wait for this disgrace of the original show to fail. It's wrong in so many ways I hope this is supposed to be a comedy, it's the only chance it has. :kitt2:

scottab21
FLAG Recruit

Post by scottab21 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:30 pm

Isn't anybody happy to see our favorite franchise on one of the most successful networks getting a chance to be reborn??? God, I don't think I've seen this much debate since the making of the Michael Bay Transformers, which by the way, many were were against the new look of the robots ended up taking back all their negative comments AFTER ACTUALLY SEEING THE FILM...(hint, hint) 8) As far as the Knight 3000 being a new Mustang is concerned, it's the Knight 3000 for pete's sake. It should be something new, yet identifiable. Just as the beloved Trans-Am was for it's time. With such great shows like Heroes on NBC, I'm really excited to see where they take the world of the Knight Rider! Isn't anybody else?

P.S.~ To all the negative posters out there that say they want nothing to do with the new pilot... I know where all of you will be November 17nth... 8)

subliminal1284
Volunteer

Post by subliminal1284 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:31 pm

This show is gonna bomb bigger than Team Knight rider. The Ford lacks character that will be its downfall. I bet the show is cancelled before the first season is over. This is what happens when producers who dont know *?$# try to remake an old show or movie.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:50 pm

subliminal1284 wrote:I bet the show is cancelled before the first season is over. This is what happens when producers who dont know *?$# try to remake an old show or movie.
1. There is no series to cancel. It's a made-for-TV movie. That's it. If it's successful, THEN it will become a series. And if that's the case, they're building a series from a successful movie so it would have a very good chance of doing as well.

2. The producers had very little say in what kind of car to use. That decision was primarily made by network executives signing partnership deals with Ford. That may not be the best way to pick a car, but it is NOT a reflection of the talent of the writers or the production team. The main guy in charge did The Bourne Identity and The Bourne Ultimatum, so he just might know *?$# about an action/adventure movie.

scottab21
FLAG Recruit

Post by scottab21 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:47 pm

I couldn't agree with you more Michael. I'm sure the producers will try to pay homage to the original series, and yet move on to the present (where it should be).

MiltonKnight
Stranger

Post by MiltonKnight » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:00 pm

I'm sure Wilton is rolling on his grave ritght now....

The FIREBIRD was picked for several reasons including the fact that it was relevant to the story (Knight of the PHOENIX - PHOENIX being the "FIREBIRD"). Maybe the "new Michael" was born on a horse farm where they only grew Mustangs... WTHK...we'll find out... sure enough.

When I first saw the new Mustang in 2005 I was in love with it. It's a beautiful car, very stylish, almost perfect.
Unfortunately, as many have pointed out, it does not represent KITT very well. After we were treated to a red BANSHEE knock-off I thought network executives would think twice before pressing that SHOCK button again.. then came TKR, I was wrong...

If they wanted to use a Ford Mustang, THE ONLY REAL CHOICE was this one...

Just imagine this MUSTANG GIUGIARO in black with the trailing scanner.... EVEN it's interior looks nicer than the 25 engineers team choice...

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:14 pm

The Giugiaro prototype mustang is heavily influenced in the new redesigned 2009/2010 Mustang. So if the show does go to series it could be interesting that NBCU's KITT the car of tomorrow will already be outdated.

http://news.windingroad.com/trends/firs ... d-mustang/
The Knight Rider Fan Game Project:
http://www.theknightrider.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:56 am

MiltonKnight wrote:Maybe the "new Michael" was born on a horse farm where they only grew Mustangs... WTHK...we'll find out... sure enough.
LOL :lol:
msKEN wrote:The Giugiaro prototype mustang is heavily influenced in the new redesigned 2009/2010 Mustang. So if the show does go to series it could be interesting that NBCU's KITT the car of tomorrow will already be outdated.
I'm going to say that's a combination of bad timing and the completely and utterly wrong method of choosing the vehicle (being because of business affiliation instead of choosing what would be truly right). As far as the timing goes, I'm wondering if the writer's strike had any influence in rushing the script to get finished. It seems like it was turned in in the nick of time.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:30 am

Lost Knight wrote:I'm wondering if the writer's strike had any influence in rushing the script to get finished. It seems like it was turned in in the nick of time.
Let's do the math: Assume the worst-case-scenario, that the writer did not start the script until NBC made their announcement September 26th. In reality, at least a rough draft was probably well under way by that point, but we'll stick with the 26th. The Writer's Strike began November 5th. That's 6 weeks. A typical action-adventure TV-Movie is probably 90 pages MAX. And there is an awful lot of white space on a script page. So at the absolute worst, David Adron would have to write about 2 pages a day. That is not rushing things at all.

Plus, chances are the script is less than 90 pages.
Chances are the script was in progress well before NBC announced it.
Chances are, there was still some writing going on "under the table" after the Writer's Strike hit.

I think the script will be just fine.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:56 am

Chances are, there was still some writing going on "under the table" after the Writer's Strike hit.
NBCU better pray that last statement isn't true.

They are stuck with whatever they chose to shoot and if anything differs (added, not subtracted or moved around) when they air, if they air before the end of the strike they're looking at a massive fine and tremendous backlash which will torpedo their efforts in addition to the other turbulance looming on the horizon beginning next year.

I do not believe Universal is dumb enough to take that risk (but hey they ignored a cease and decist order so who knows). Because of that degree of forced commitment and the timing in which this production was scheduled it absolutely cannot be denied thier backdoor pilot was a rush job and you're going to get what you pay for in both time and money.

Time will tell if it pays off. One more fact people should realize, NBCU didn't have a car picked out when they wrote the script (which is ok) but it means they had a choice, nothing was a commitment from a story POV until they chose to do so.

Now lets get back on topic which is about the Mustang, not the script.

=VK=

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:00 am

Michael Pajaro wrote:
Lost Knight wrote:I'm wondering if the writer's strike had any influence in rushing the script to get finished. It seems like it was turned in in the nick of time.
Let's do the math: Assume the worst-case-scenario, that the writer did not start the script until NBC made their announcement September 26th. In reality, at least a rough draft was probably well under way by that point, but we'll stick with the 26th. The Writer's Strike began November 5th. That's 6 weeks. A typical action-adventure TV-Movie is probably 90 pages MAX. And there is an awful lot of white space on a script page. So at the absolute worst, David Adron would have to write about 2 pages a day. That is not rushing things at all.

Plus, chances are the script is less than 90 pages.
Chances are the script was in progress well before NBC announced it.

I think the script will be just fine.
There's a lot of truth here (except for the 'under the table' remark).

The script was well on it's way by Sept 26th. The path to script approval in TV is a convoluted one. First, approval of the outline by studio, then approval of the outline by network, then script approval by studio, then script approval by network. By the end of August, the outline had been approved by all parties, and the script approval process began. BTW, people seem to think the Sept 26th date has significance because of the NBC announcement. That date has no significance. NBC did not make, and did not want to make, an official announcement then--it was leaked by other parties. Anyway, drafts were written, submitted and returned with notes from the studio. Subsequent drafts were written. Studio approval of the script was given in late Sept, and then the script went to the network. By mid October they had basic approval from the Network, and this script was sent out for casting and location scouts. This is the script that Merrick at AICN got ahold of, and liked.

There were more changes that needed to be made once the money people got involved, things had to be modified to conform with budget constraints. By early November, they were locked to a shooting script. Not a word has been changed since then. Deanna Russo even made mention of this in one of her interviews, that they couldn't change of word of the script because of the strike.

Does this make the project 'rushed'? Seems to be about par for the course in TV. In the normal course of things, scripts do get re-written right up to the last minute. Obviously, that is not possible here. Will the project suffer because of it? Everyone on set feels the script is very strong. This also eliminates a lot a second guessing, which could be a good thing. It's the writer's vision, without a lot a last minute meddling. The nice thing is, you all get to make your own decisions about it in a matter of weeks.

Also on the plus side, moving quickly gives things an urgency that translates into a lot of creative energy and momentum. You will see a very different pace as the KR movie production unfolds. They will have time, and money. They will also have a number of parties yet unheard from who will get involved, such as a yet-unnamed director. And the disadvantage of so MUCH time, things can get bogged down.

So, they're are advantages to a project being 'rushed'.
Last edited by Shapeshifter on Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:30 am

I'd just like to add something to all of this "rushed" business:

For the Original Series, "Goliath" filmed in 14 days (August 8-25, 1983), "Goliath Returns" filmed in 13 (January 4-20, 1984). "Mouth of the Snake" filmed in 16 days (February 16 - March 8, 1984). 16 days was also the time spent on principal (ie., non-presentation reel) shooting of Glen Larson's original pilot (July 8-26, 13 days plus 3 days of reshoots -- August 18, 19 & 26, 1982). As Shapeshifter has pointed out, the new pilot is filming on a 24 day schedule.

It seems that the deal with the new car went through quickly, so this production hasn't had the luxury the original had with the brilliant Michael Scheffe, but it would seem a lot of special effects work would be done in post-production anyway. However, the actual filming is anything but rushed when compared to the original series' TV movies. Let's not hit the panic buttons just yet.
- Paul
- http://www.knightriderarchives.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stargazer
Operative

Post by Stargazer » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:39 am

I voted accept it.

After all, this is not going to be the original KITT as mentioned before. This is a whole different car that has the name KITT.

I agree with neps that maybe things will look allot better on TV.

Yes, its a Ford Mustang, but it looks alot better than the TKR Mustang.

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:21 pm

scottab21 wrote:Isn't anybody happy to see our favorite franchise on one of the most successful networks getting a chance to be reborn??? God, I don't think I've seen this much debate since the making of the Michael Bay Transformers, which by the way, many were were against the new look of the robots ended up taking back all their negative comments AFTER ACTUALLY SEEING THE FILM...(hint, hint) 8) As far as the Knight 3000 being a new Mustang is concerned, it's the Knight 3000 for pete's sake. It should be something new, yet identifiable. Just as the beloved Trans-Am was for it's time. With such great shows like Heroes on NBC, I'm really excited to see where they take the world of the Knight Rider! Isn't anybody else?

P.S.~ To all the negative posters out there that say they want nothing to do with the new pilot... I know where all of you will be November 17nth... 8)
Hear Hear brother!!! I am so agreeing.

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:28 pm

Knight Rider Archive wrote:
I'd just like to add something to all of this "rushed" business:

For the Original Series, "Goliath" filmed in 14 days (August 8-25, 1983), "Goliath Returns" filmed in 13 (January 4-20, 1984). "Mouth of the Snake" filmed in 16 days (February 16 - March 8, 1984). 16 days was also the time spent on principal (ie., non-presentation reel) shooting of Glen Larson's original pilot (July 8-26, 13 days plus 3 days of reshoots -- August 18, 19 & 26, 1982). As Shapeshifter has pointed out, the new pilot is filming on a 24 day schedule.

It seems that the deal with the new car went through quickly, so this production hasn't had the luxury the original had with the brilliant Michael Scheffe, but it would seem a lot of special effects work would be done in post-production anyway. However, the actual filming is anything but rushed when compared to the original series' TV movies. Let's not hit the panic buttons just yet.

Though I do have to say, that the ORIGINAL KITT, you know the one with the paste on nose... for lack of better words... was not looking very finished either. Yet it came together nicely after some time... read, new nose. If the movie is good, I have a strong feeling the same will happen here... giving the car more and more character (not KI2000 character) its own unique KI3000 character.