Knight Rider Opening on HD.

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

kitt34
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Knight Rider Opening on HD.

Post by kitt34 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:17 pm

Check out the knight rider opening on HD on this site

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1RqPIHwPB4

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:07 am

I found this one that blends Simpsons with KR to be very funny, despite being in Spanish. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9Ii8bKaSCk&NR

Geez. They must have darn near everything under the sun on this YouTube site. I can hardly believe how much there actually is. There's an ancient advertisement for a KR micro car on track called Knight Rider Impossibles and some bloopers that never made the DVD's. (Who know David was so foul mouthed?) Heck...even I'm on at least one of the files at that site.

J-Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by J-Knight » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:05 am

Wow this is so weird, I was thinking about putting a HD version of the theme up for the community today. Yet I visit and someone has beet me too it :-O Very strange :-P
Devon-"Shall we drink to the start of.."
Michael-"Of what?"
Devon-"One mans Dream"

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:32 am

I thought it looked even worse than the dvd version. The image was considerably less sharper.

I'm not buying into this HD/Blu-ray thing. I won't buy either until I'm practically forced to.

kitt34
FLAG Recruit

Post by kitt34 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:20 pm

J-Knight wrote:Wow this is so weird, I was thinking about putting a HD version of the theme up for the community today. Yet I visit and someone has beet me too it :-O Very strange :-P
This Opening credits of Knight Rider looks beautiful on HD.

Aussie Knight Rider
Recruit

Post by Aussie Knight Rider » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:07 am

looks good but cant tell the differnce between that and dvd 8)

J-Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by J-Knight » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:47 pm

That does actually look worse than the dvd version brightness wise :?
Devon-"Shall we drink to the start of.."
Michael-"Of what?"
Devon-"One mans Dream"

Skyknight
Recruit

Post by Skyknight » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:36 pm

Skav wrote:I thought it looked even worse than the dvd version. The image was considerably less sharper.

I'm not buying into this HD/Blu-ray thing. I won't buy either until I'm practically forced to.
Well in regards to the KR opener, how can you expect it to look better, if the original content was not shot in HD but on film 24 years ago?

The reason why it looks worse is because, first off, the resolution of that video clip on youtube isn't actually in high definition. It's just in a widescreen format. It's actually heavily compressed as well. When I blow it up to full screen on my 16:9 monitor, it is 'letterboxed' (meaning it is a widescreen view within a 4:3 aspect ratio) and is very pixelized and grainy. Second, when you watch regular SD TV programming on a high definition screen, you see all the inherent flaws of the original video signal because it is at less than half of the resolution that the HD TV set can handle.

I have HDTV service myself. I subscribed to the service when I bought a high definition TV. Let me tell you, there is no comparison. Once you watch a football game/hockey game or programming in true high def, you will never want to go back.
It's a night and day difference and it is really not hard to tell at all. People who aren't convinced that HDTV is far superior to standard TV are not really looking at it or paying attention.
Most retail places that sell electronics rarely have the HDTVs set up properly and most of the time all you are seeing are up-converted and grainy signals.

As for HDDVD and Blu-ray, the jury is not out on which format will ultimately succeed. However, one thing is for sure. They both surpass the video quality image than that of standard DVDs by far. I'm guessing that we may be in for another VHS vs. Beta type of format war. Both VHS and Beta were very similar to one another in regards to picture quality (regardless of what most people think) but the reason why one format beat out the other was price and how it was marketed.

Nilton

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:44 pm

More storage space on the HD-DVD and blu-ray discs too so if Knight Rider came out on Blue ray you would have a lot less discs to worry about.

You-tube has compressed it down so everyone can stream it so you can't tell if its in HD.
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:51 pm

Skyknight wrote:
Skav wrote:I thought it looked even worse than the dvd version. The image was considerably less sharper.

Well in regards to the KR opener, how can you expect it to look better, if the original content was not shot in HD but on film 24 years ago?

The reason why it looks worse is because, first off, the resolution of that video clip on youtube isn't actually in high definition. It's just in a widescreen format. It's actually heavily compressed as well. When I blow it up to full screen on my 16:9 monitor, it is 'letterboxed' (meaning it is a widescreen view within a 4:3 aspect ratio) and is very pixelized and grainy. Second, when you watch regular SD TV programming on a high definition screen, you see all the inherent flaws of the original video signal because it is at less than half of the resolution that the HD TV set can handle.

I have HDTV service myself. I subscribed to the service when I bought a high definition TV. Let me tell you, there is no comparison. Once you watch a football game/hockey game or programming in true high def, you will never want to go back.
It's a night and day difference and it is really not hard to tell at all. People who aren't convinced that HDTV is far superior to standard TV are not really looking at it or paying attention.
Most retail places that sell electronics rarely have the HDTVs set up properly and most of the time all you are seeing are up-converted and grainy signals.

As for HDDVD and Blu-ray, the jury is not out on which format will ultimately succeed. However, one thing is for sure. They both surpass the video quality image than that of standard DVDs by far. I'm guessing that we may be in for another VHS vs. Beta type of format war. Both VHS and Beta were very similar to one another in regards to picture quality (regardless of what most people think) but the reason why one format beat out the other was price and how it was marketed.

Nilton
It makes me wonder why they put it on Youtube in the first place if it isn't HD.

The reason why I'm not buying into the HD/Blu Ray format's is because there were a lot of beneficial reasons to upgrade to DVD from VHS ie no rewinding, slow forwarding, poor pause, worn picture and sound etc.

This time, it's just upgraded picture quality and supposed upgraded quality sound. And more storage. It would be great to watch KR on 2 discs instead of 5. :roll:

There really is no other benefits unless you like to view the menu while watching the film. Who will do that? The options on the menu are the usual scene selection where you can just press the skip button to skip through a scene you want which is actually a faster process.

I guess I'm not a person who will easily buy the next heavily marketed thing without thinking what little benefits and what it will do for my life first. :wink:

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:06 pm

Thinking about the old days with the VHS and the rewinding before taking it back to the video shop.
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:49 pm

I agree that HDTV isn't quite ready yet for the masses (my faithful 15 year-old Samsung TV just died on me last week and as much as I'd like to buy a HDTV as a replacement, prices are still way too high) and yes, I agree that there isn't as much of an incentive to upgrade from regular DVD to HD-DVD/Blu-ray but I have seen true 1080p HD on my uncle's massive 60" HDTV (it was the figure skating portion of the Olympics no less) and the picture quality difference alone is enough to make die-hard entertainment enthusiasts drool. I'm sure that when prices on both HDTV sets and players come down in the coming years, everyone here will be clammoring for new Knight Rider DVDs in HD.

Skyknight
Recruit

Post by Skyknight » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:44 am

Big screen HDTV's are selling for about the same and sometimes less than what a 36" TV would have cost you 7-8 years ago. :wink:

AusKnight2K
Operative

Post by AusKnight2K » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:15 am

James_kr wrote:Thinking about the old days with the VHS and the rewinding before taking it back to the video shop.
Thinking of the even older days with the Beta. :wink:

I wish I knew where all my old tapings of KR are. All those Beta tapes in a box I haven't looked at in in decades ... :shock:

pdennis93
FLAG Recruit

Post by pdennis93 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:42 am

Normal Cruise
Tom Cruise

:lol: