Wikipedia

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

James_kr
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Wikipedia

Post by James_kr » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:43 pm

Has anybody looked up Knight Rider on Wikipedia it has all the information you could possibly think about for the show the characters KITT and KARR its absolutley full of info check it out at: http://www.wikipedia.com and search for Knight Rider, KITT or KARR.
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"

Squirrel3D
Rookie

Post by Squirrel3D » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:31 pm

Wikipedia can be unreliabile most of the time. I mean come on...it's a free encyclpedia anyone can edit!!
Becuase one man CAN make a difference

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:18 pm

are you sure about the editing things for everyone I think it only is editable for your ip address or account. But I did read most of it and I thought it was very accurate

HungarianKnight
FLAG Recruit

Post by HungarianKnight » Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:40 am

I'm the one who's doing the Hungarian branch of KR wiki. If someone speaks Hungarian, he or she can check it.

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:38 am

Actually, a recent study found Wikipedia to be about as accurate as the Encyclopedia Britannica and I've also used Wikipedia as a source of information several times in college papers and none of my professors objected at all, so I think it's reliability can be trusted fairly well.

Study: Wikipedia as accurate as Britannica

Wizster
FLAG Recruit

Post by Wizster » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:06 am

I've found Wikipedia pretty reliavble and use it as a source of knowledge. I'm sure it's more reliable than the concept implies it'd be

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:09 am

Wikipedia is my source for Band history.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Squirrel3D
Rookie

Post by Squirrel3D » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:30 pm

You people are very crazy if you think wikipedia is reliable. Any infomation source that can be edited by someone if they simply don't like...say....Michael Savage...is not an accorate source of infomation. Yeah, go look that man up. You'll see a bunch of things that are incorrect about him...such as working for clearchannel. He works for Talk Radio Network, not clearchannel.

To say that wikipedia is as accorate as britanica clearly shows that you don't have a freaking clue.
Becuase one man CAN make a difference

SnyperOutlaw
Stranger

Post by SnyperOutlaw » Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:12 pm

I've read through (scoured, actually) the KR Wiki, and while most of it is pretty accurate, there are a few places where the facts are a little off. Particularly where it includes Knight Rider 2000 and Team Knight Rider in the Knight Rider series (I ignore KR2K because it discards about 95% of the original show's trademarks, and I'd never even heard of TKR until just recently).
"I have one problem: I don't know how to fly a helicopter!"

"Maybe you should've thought of that before you climbed onto it?"

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:01 pm

KR2000 and TKR are part of the the whole KR saga whether the fans like it or not. I don't like it either.....well, I suppose I can tolerate KR2000 because it did at least have hasselhoff and kitt but no to TKR.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:59 pm

Here on KRO is a wiki. I had contributed to it now and then. The link is in the top banner. :)

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:03 am

FuzzieDice wrote:Here on KRO is a wiki. I had contributed to it now and then. The link is in the top banner. :)
everytime I try the wiki it acts funny and has a lot of errors.

Wizster
FLAG Recruit

Post by Wizster » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:40 am

I still reckon it's more reliable than an "open source" encyclopedia should be. It's a good place for general info. Perhaps you shouldn't take it as being 100% correct

HungarianKnight
FLAG Recruit

Post by HungarianKnight » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:59 am

Inaccurate or not, I've downloaded its article on Beowulf for a university essay and got a 4 (B or what, the second best grade) for it!

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:57 am

There's no way that Wikipedia can be 100% accurate on everything it includes but given the fact that it has been shown to be about as accurate as Britannica while revolving around the concept that collective knowledge is better than individual knowledge, I have to say that I am quite pleased with its accuracy of it's "Knight Rider" entry. I could find very little to nitpick about as far as that goes and in my overall experience, Wikipedia is an amazing source of information that is correct many more times than not.

JL
Operative

Post by JL » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:48 pm

In regards to the Wiki articles about KR...

Read the "South Africa" section about KR's popularity in other countries. They claim that the desert scenes in "Goliath" were shot in South West Africa, a part of South Africa that was under a United Nations mandate back in 1983.

I've never heard this before, and frankly I think it's crap. Anyone know for sure?

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:08 am

That is very interesting.

Goliath was actually the 5th filmed episode of the second season, after "Brother's Keeper". Between "Keeper" and "Goliath" there was a three-week hiatus, so that Hasselhoff could go to... Africa (to promote the show). (Garthe's African choker was a memento Hasselhoff picked up over there, and he is pictured wearing it in many interviews from '83/'84).

However, Knight Rider didn't have the budget to go halfway around the world and film. Goliath was was filmed on location around Las Vegas, and the Mojave Desert, which is a location that has appeared in countless movies and TV shows. Check out any number of Star Treks, Lethal Weapon, Airwolf... all use that locale. And why would they go all the way to Africa to film desert exteriors to double for some that were already only a few hours down the road?

This one is a case of some info being embellished into something else.
- Paul
- http://www.knightriderarchives.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:15 am

...and moreover, having just read the South African listing -- it's just plain false.
In South Africa, Knight Rider had an effect out of all proportion to its immediate stature at the time of production, by creating a significant circumvention of the UN imposed sanctions during the era of Apartheid. The episode "Goliath pt 1 & pt. 2" with the confrontation between Garthe Knight and Michael Knight, and therefore between KITT and Goliath, were filmed in South West Africa, then the U.N. mandate of South Africa. Moreover, local black acting talent John Kani provided a compelling African Dictator, Tsombe Kuna, as a supporting villain to Garthe Knight, as the driving force supporting the construction of Goliath.
The effect of the production for the SABC's syndication was electric - they furnished the Knight Rider crew with all facilities, and a number of SABC crew names appear on the credits of the two part episode. Universal Studios then syndicated as part of the agreement for production of the episodes, all of their popular television programs, past and future production. South Africa in the 1980s therefore rebroadcast programs such as The Six Million Dollar Man, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, after translation into Afrikaans by Leephy Studios.
New programs such as Knight Rider, A-team, The Bold and the Beautiful, Miami Vice, Dallas and Dynasty were broadcast in English. Children's programs, and all manner of other televised entertainment enetered the country through this one deal, as did music and many other media. Knight Rider therefore reshaped the South African entertainment market at the height of Apartheid and Sanctions.
John Kani did not play Tsombe Kuna... Zakes Mokae did. He has made appearances in many other US TV shows -- and his name appears in the credits. No other names appear on the production credits except those that appear on the other shows... just those of the US production team.

It's like with the IMDB, there is a lot of bad information floating around there. Use the Knight Rider websites and discussion boards as a point of reference.
- Paul
- http://www.knightriderarchives.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JL
Operative

Post by JL » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:07 pm

I was 99% sure the stuff about South Africa in that article was crap. I brought it up here because I was dealing with some schmuck on another messageboard who found that article and was quoting it as gospel truth.

I noticed the John Zani error and used that as an example of why this person was being misled, but just wanted verification that the other stuff about location shoots was wrong.