Kitt's Technology

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Kitt's Technology

Post by Knight Racer » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:50 am

I was watching Ten Wheel Trouble and Kitt was discussing his storage capacity with the tom boy.He said something like he now has 50 million k in storage and can introduce 1 million more every day if need be.Anyone know what the size of that is in gigabytes?

Also on a secon point about kitt's technology.Anyone ever think of creating a conversion will probably shell out $2000 for the cars body and another 75k for the actual instruments and functions the car had on the show.I heard that they actually created a suspension that could simulate turbo boost.Iever since I saw Kitt's navigational screen I Knew we wouldn't be far behind.How hard would it be to hook up a finger print scanner to a door handle or better yet a system that if you don't enter the key in first lifting the door handle will electricute you.:)

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Re: Kitt's Technology

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:55 pm

Knight Racer wrote:I was watching Ten Wheel Trouble and Kitt was discussing his storage capacity with the tom boy.He said something like he now has 50 million k in storage and can introduce 1 million more every day if need be.Anyone know what the size of that is in gigabytes?
I would guestimate approximately ~47 Gig.

1 MB is 1024 K
1024 MB is 1 Gig

Or at least last I knew that was the forumla. So he can add a bit less than a gig a day (approx. 976 MB) if he needs to. Even by today's standards, that's one hell of a large database! :lol: Thinking about it 1 gig a day he'd need at least 30 - 31 gig a month. Or 365 Gig a year. I have a 200G hard drive and a 40G hard drive in my computer right now. So you think back in the 80s and stuff, that would be rather astounding amount of storage, especially for an embedded system like KITT's. That's assuming excluding operating system and programs.
Knight Racer wrote: How hard would it be to hook up a finger print scanner to a door handle or better yet a system that if you don't enter the key in first lifting the door handle will electricute you.:)
Some of that has I think happened (biometric fingerprint type door locks I think are around, but very hard to find/limited). As for the electricution thing, that's not too hard to rig up, really. But thinking on it, it would also leave you with liability should someone accidentally brush against the door handle or a kid fall off their bike near your car and reach for support, etc. Probably why it's not available in that format. It might even be illegal.