Kitt vs Karr

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

fred
Volunteer

Kitt vs Karr

Post by fred » Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:02 am

I note that Paul Frees is the voice of Karr in the season 3 episode and he sounds a lot like Darth Vader. Does Paul also voice Darth in Star Wars? I also note a reference made to George Lucas during the episode too..

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by HondaSiR » Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:10 am

It was James Earl Jones who provided the voice of Darth Vader.

MURDOCK
Rookie

KITTVS KARR

Post by MURDOCK » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:20 am

PAUL FREES WHO THE HELL IS THAT,EVERY ONE KNOWS KARRS VOICE WAS PROVIDED BY PETER CULLEN.

HungarianKnight
FLAG Recruit

Re: KITTVS KARR

Post by HungarianKnight » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:40 am

MURDOCK wrote:PAUL FREES WHO THE HELL IS THAT,EVERY ONE KNOWS KARRS VOICE WAS PROVIDED BY PETER CULLEN.
In Trust doesn't Rust, Karr was really voiced by Peter Cullen (also known as Optimus Prime), yet in Kitt VS Karr, Karr was voiced by Paul Frees. I think this is because Cullen died, but maybe I have just wrote something silly...

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:02 am

I've read that Peter Cullen was busy with other pojects when KITTvsKARR was made so they hired Paul Frees.
If I remember correctly, Pete Cullen is still alive but Paul Frees died already in the 80's.

By the way, excactly 20 years ago, 12.2.1986 at 19:30-20:30 on MTV2 K.I.T.T. vs K.A.R.R. episode was aired 1st time in Finland :D I'm going to watch it tonight from my vhs-tape at 19:30-20:30 as a anniversary episode ;)

-KITTfan-

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:27 am

Paul Frees also used to be the "Ghost Host" at Disney's Haunted Mansion in Orlando Florida.

Akaihiryuu
Operative

Post by Akaihiryuu » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:12 pm

I personally liked Peter Cullen's portrayal of KARR more than Paul Frees'. It sounded similar to his Optimus Prime voice, only evil. The season 3 opener mentions that Michael was not the first FLAG field agent. They mentioned that the first was killed by a convicted murderer, and it happened shortly before they found Michael, and that Wilton put the FLAG project on hold until they found Michael (and construction of KITT began at the same time). Makes you wonder if that guy that died might've been KARR's driver, and if KARR acting out of self preservation instead of preservation of human life somehow allowed that guy to kill him. Something to think about. The time he died and the FLAG project was put on hold would've been about the same time that KARR was decommissioned. I also think that they started with Michael Long's Trans Am to build KITT...they certainly made a point of focusing the camera on that car up until the point where Michael was shot.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:17 pm

KITTfan wrote:I've read that Peter Cullen was busy with other pojects when KITTvsKARR was made so they hired Paul Frees.
If I remember correctly, Pete Cullen is still alive but Paul Frees died already in the 80's.
Not quite. The producers wanted K.A.R.R. to have a more sinister voice, hence the new creepy change to his personality. Peter Cullen's portrayal was naïve to the point where I almost felt sorry for KARR; Paul Frees' portrayal made KARR a manipulative sociopath.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

rusti_knight
Operative

Post by rusti_knight » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:44 pm

Cullen is still alive...

And kicking last I heard, since people are voting for him to voice Prime in the upcoming Transformers movie.
[Rus] What makes you think you've got what it takes to tame me anyway?
[Beast] ~sly naughty grin~ Experienced handling.

--From RP
DevArt: http://rusti-knight.deviantart.com

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:55 am

Pete Cullen's credits include Optimus Prime as well all know, and also Eeyore from Whinnie the Pooh. Very much still alive.

The Knight Ten Thousand
Volunteer

Post by The Knight Ten Thousand » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:39 am

KITTfan wrote:Not quite. The producers wanted K.A.R.R. to have a more sinister voice, hence the new creepy change to his personality. Peter Cullen's portrayal was naïve to the point where I almost felt sorry for KARR; Paul Frees' portrayal made KARR a manipulative sociopath.

You took the words right out of my mouth! :D
"One man can make a difference."

Wilton Knight

AtariKnight
Operative

Post by AtariKnight » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:10 am

Lost Knight wrote:
KITTfan wrote:I've read that Peter Cullen was busy with other pojects when KITTvsKARR was made so they hired Paul Frees.
Not quite. The producers wanted K.A.R.R. to have a more sinister voice, hence the new creepy change to his personality. Peter Cullen's portrayal was naïve to the point where I almost felt sorry for KARR; Paul Frees' portrayal made KARR a manipulative sociopath.
I always felt that Cullen's KARR had a slightly autistic Personality, He had trouble communicating with Tony and Rev, Was obsessed about surviving and became aggitated very easily.

They're all signs of someone with particular levels of autisim.

KnightRyderX
Volunteer

Post by KnightRyderX » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:03 pm

On the subject of Kitt Vs Karr....

For those interested in a Film Location for that episode, the scene where Michael first meets the girlfriend of the guy who has posession of KARR (can't think of his name) was shot @ 121 N. Main St. in SEAL BEACH, CA. The store in that episode is called ENDLESS SUMMER and it still exits to this date. Across the street you will find a pub called IRISHER, which also still exits. The scene where KARR tricks the girl to get inside was filmed at nearby SEAL BEACH PIER.

Sorry if this has been posted before, just a heads up for those who are interested.

Knight Rocker
Recruit

Post by Knight Rocker » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:34 am

Also on the same subject, the girl's name is Mandy and I thought she was HOT!

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:08 am

Talking of Mandy or indeed john have they appeared in anything else since Knight Rider??

KARR77
Recruit

Post by KARR77 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:58 pm

I think KARR was definetly more naive in season one simply for the fact that he was locked away for such a long time before he was broken out. Season two KARR is a whole different creature all together, definetly more manipulative and sociopathic when he doesn't get what he wants, sort of like some of my ex girlfriends hehe.
"if i die i'll take you with me" me

Akaihiryuu
Operative

Post by Akaihiryuu » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:21 am

I think it would've been neat if KARR had been a 2nd gen Trans Am ('70-'81, the model used in Smokey and the Bandit), since he was older. They could've added a KITT-like scanner to the front of him and everything. They probably didn't have the budget for it though, so they just filmed another KITT. Also, it's likely that KARR wasn't that much older, probably less than a year, and he probably wasn't active for very long before he was put in storage (probably when the previous FLAG agent mentioned in Knight of the Drones was killed...I still have to wonder if he drove KARR at any point). That would put KARR's construction sometime in '81, probably later in the year (since KITT was made in the summer/fall of '82). The '82 model Trans Am would've been out then, since cars are usually released in the previous year. But I wish they had given KARR some history, actually mention when/how he was used. I don't think he was considered a failed experiment immediately, or within just a couple of days. The 2nd gen Trans Am body would've given them a reason to built KITT, instead of just modifying KARR's computer. Heck, they could've just swapped out KARR's CPU for KITT's, and finished him very quick! KITT and KARR were identical except for that. Makes you wonder why Wilton wasted so much time and resources building KITT. Maybe he was just getting senile in his old age and forgot that KARR hadn't been dismantled. But still, if KARR had been an older model Trans Am, that would've given them a reason to build a new car. I guess they did state though, that when the previous FLAG operator was killed, Wilton put the whole FLAG project on hold, and Michael wasn't found until about 6 months later, and KITT was built in a rush at this point.

Interesting article on the Firebird...sadly they only have pics of the 1st and 2nd gen ones, but then pics of 3rd and 4th gen ones are easy to find:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Firebird

And of course, one for the Camaro. The 3rd gen Z28 was identical to KITT in every way except for some styling differences. I think it would've also been neat to make KARR a Z28 (the Chevy equivalent of the Trans Am, identical except for styling) instead of a Trans Am, to make them look a little different:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camaro