Knight Rider Season 3 Reviews and General comments

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by spyhunter » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:29 am

I know it's nitpicky, but I also do not care for the color of the discs, it's hard enough to tell what they are with such small lettering, but Seasons 1&2 used the same color on all discs, now S3 uses 3 different colors on each disc, including the bearly readable color yellow... Yeah, real nice...

SH

LMolineux
Recruit

Post by LMolineux » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:22 am

I dont know if this will do any good or not but we all should co-ordinate something together and write Universal a letter from each of us and including some of our posts from here or something to get them to notice alot of their errors. Not sure if this will work or not. At least this is fixable unlike missing a Snow storm in the winter when we can not control the weather but Universal can control their QC and fix their errors.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:32 am

It could be worth a shot but taking into account that people have already said that they could no longer find copies of season 1 and 2 in stores, it's more than likely that Universal are getting the last two out for the sake of it to be finished with the whole thing.

If sales were not so good on the first two seasons, I don't know if they would recall all season 3 sets to correct them.

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:13 pm

Anyone else notice in the promo on disc one, that advertises Knight Rider Magnum and The A team, it says 25 episode for Knight Rider season 3?

If only, Don't know if they got the others shows right or not.

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:49 am

I've just finished watching all the episodes on the season 3 DVD set. The ONLY episodes on the ENTIRE DVD set that I found were not messed with are "K.I.T.T. vs. K.A.R.R." and "Knight of thr Rising Sun". I have an email in to someone I know at Universal to see if we can get an explanation.

Joe

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:27 am

It will be intresting to see what people who buy the region 2 version if season 3 have to say when it's relased in march.

Wonder if they will get the same thing as sx in episodes go?

Come to think of Has got the A team or Magnum season 3?

If so anything wrong with them?

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:09 pm

I want to say something positive: I like the outside cover photo of D. Hasselhoff on the DVD set better than the cover photo of the season 2 set.
After all the ntpicking is done, hopefully everybody will
enjoy the flaws of the season 3 DVD set. :D :) :dance: :kittconv: :shock: :evil: :? :roll: 8) :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:21 pm

I wonder if anyone else sees the episodes from the end of the season to the beginning on their DVD sets, as in from episode 21 to episode 1 besides me....
Also, I've also played the episodes by way of episodes that have numbers 1,3,5, and so on, and then 2, 4, 6, and so on, as a way of keeping myself from being bored from seeing the episodes the same way every time.

suprdav2
Volunteer

Post by suprdav2 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:07 pm

another nitpick as some others have somewhat touched on. Seems like in this season, they drove the season 1-2 car somewhat more than they did the season 3 car. A lot of the time, you can barely catch a glimpse of when David (Michael) is driving, that KITT has the season 1-2 dash. You would think they would be driving the car with the newer dash. I'm not sure how many other's this bugs, but it drives me crazy. Wonder why they drove the older car around more..... :?

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:10 pm

Lyn: I watched my favorites I been wanting to see first, then I go back and watch them in order skipping the ones I already watched. :) That's how I usually do it with the sets.

I think in S4, I'll see Killer KITT first, and I forgot what others, I think Juggernaut. Then I'll watch the others in order.

I'm on DVD 2 Side 1, last ep right now (or will in a few. :)

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:03 pm

The more I watch this set the more annoyed I get.

All the sound fx missing makes them look ridiculous.

I hope we get an explanation for this.

If season 4 is like this I might not even bother.

Scott Kirkessner
FLAG Recruit

Post by Scott Kirkessner » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:16 am

Two words: Stock footage.

-Scott

suprdav2 wrote:another nitpick as some others have somewhat touched on. Seems like in this season, they drove the season 1-2 car somewhat more than they did the season 3 car. A lot of the time, you can barely catch a glimpse of when David (Michael) is driving, that KITT has the season 1-2 dash. You would think they would be driving the car with the newer dash. I'm not sure how many other's this bugs, but it drives me crazy. Wonder why they drove the older car around more..... :?

krfan1
FLAG Recruit

Post by krfan1 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:28 am

I just finished watching 'Knights in the Fast Lane' (one of fav eps).

There was a total of three missing/edited sound effects...

Begining where KITT zooms in on Stacy's pic had a sound--not present in the DVD
KITT chasing Dagger DX: Microjam sequence has no microjamming sound,

and the football eject sound Skav mentioned--originally it was the same woosh! you hear when KITT ejects someone (or like when KITT ejected the football from the passegr seat in the ep)

As of now, I will agree with Paul and go with Universal marking their DVDs so they know which
copies are bootlegged.

At first I thought the audio track was damaged (page 1) but now that I have the DVDs, I think different.

krfan1

Daemonicus666
Operative

Post by Daemonicus666 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:25 am

Does anyone know when Season 3 will be released in Australia?
"I have special effects of my own. Im going to make you disappear for 20 years man..." - Michael Knight (Halloween Knight)

MLAM
Operative

Post by MLAM » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:55 am

krfan1 wrote:I just finished watching 'Knights in the Fast Lane' (one of fav eps).

There was a total of three missing/edited sound effects...

Begining where KITT zooms in on Stacy's pic had a sound--not present in the DVD
KITT chasing Dagger DX: Microjam sequence has no microjamming sound,

and the football eject sound Skav mentioned--originally it was the same woosh! you hear when KITT ejects someone (or like when KITT ejected the football from the passegr seat in the ep)

As of now, I will agree with Paul and go with Universal marking their DVDs so they know which
copies are bootlegged.

At first I thought the audio track was damaged (page 1) but now that I have the DVDs, I think different.

krfan1
There must be more of a discreet way of marking discs if they did though surely? I mean destroying SFX from episodes is a pretty crap way because that will just prompt people to get crappy bootlegs because they have all the sound SFX, sure the PQ isn't up to scratch but atleast original SFX is there.,

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:05 am

Even if they do a fantastic job with season 4 Boxset then it's going to do realy bad with sales

People are going to lose faith in Universal after such a bad job has been done with season 3.

MLAM
Operative

Post by MLAM » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:09 am

whet wrote:Even if they do a fantastic job with season 4 Boxset then it's going to do realy bad with sales

People are going to lose faith in Universal after such a bad job has been done with season 3.
My thougts exactly, but even without the Season 3 issues, Season 4 i doublt would be such a hot seller anyway as it is regarded as one of Knight Riders weaker seasons

krfan1
FLAG Recruit

Post by krfan1 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:32 am

whet wrote:Even if they do a fantastic job with season 4 Boxset then it's going to do realy bad with sales

Oh, I agree. Aren’t the bootleg copies on eBay crappy quality? I would think you culd tell the difference between the old bootlegs and a bootleg of the DVD release since as Neil has shown, they have improved the picture quality.

krfan1
Last edited by krfan1 on Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MLAM
Operative

Post by MLAM » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:49 am

krfan1 wrote:

Oh, I agree. Aren’t the bootleg copies on eBay crappy quality? I would think you culd tell the difference between the old bootlegs and a bootleg of the DVD release since as Neil has shown, they have improved the picture quality.

krfan1
wledge about the m.
PQ is far better no doubt on the DVD's but if the audio is changed too much then it maybe enough to sway people away to get bootlegs.

Bootlegs are normally off cable TV recordings so the PQ will look dreadul compared to the DVD's

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:51 am

I would assume that bootleg would be recorded with a DVD recorder off channel's such as Bravo here in the uk.

If that is the case then even without the quality issue with the picture you would know because I know Bravo have there logo it the top right of the picture.

MLAM
Operative

Post by MLAM » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:00 am

Yep exactly,

Unless someone has managed to record most episodes during the 90s when ITV screened it.

80s screenings hardly anyone had a VCR, even if they did the tapes will have degraded over the years

suprdav2
Volunteer

Post by suprdav2 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:14 am

No, it's not stock footage. It's footage that was originally used for that specific episode. Ones that I can think of off hand are:
Junk Yard Dog
Kitt vs Karr
Lost Knight

Those are ones that stick in my mind the best.
Scott Kirkessner wrote:Two words: Stock footage.

-Scott

suprdav2 wrote:another nitpick as some others have somewhat touched on. Seems like in this season, they drove the season 1-2 car somewhat more than they did the season 3 car. A lot of the time, you can barely catch a glimpse of when David (Michael) is driving, that KITT has the season 1-2 dash. You would think they would be driving the car with the newer dash. I'm not sure how many other's this bugs, but it drives me crazy. Wonder why they drove the older car around more..... :?

MLAM
Operative

Post by MLAM » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:40 am

It's probably the stunt cars that haven't been updated with teh new dash intime for it, might explain why you see that issue.

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:44 pm

Do these people watch the stuff they are reviewing???

http://www.ugo.com/channels/DVD/article ... leID=17460

How does the series look on DVD after all these years? Although the Knight Rider shows its age, with scattered amounts of grain throughout, it's still a decent visual ride on digital. What the visual quality lacks in cleanliness, rich and intense levels of color balance the overall presentation. In the audio department, the Dolby Digital 2.0 track delivers in a big way, offering much more depth than expected (most notably in the menus, the great theme, and super charged sounds of KITT). It's Eighties TV, so as far as technical specs go, the series is most definitely enhanced by the modern home video treatment. Despite any flaws, it still looks and sounds better than the original broadcast quality. If you're looking for bonus features, this is where Knight Rider runs out of gas. The only extra on the disc is a bonus episode from Season 4, "Knight of the Rising Sun." Although cool (Michael and KITT take on a power hungry Japanese businessman), the bonus episode obviously serves as a teaser to wet your whistle so you'll also pick up the next set when it hits store shelves. If you a fan of show, you'll love it.

Looks better than the tv broadcast, I will give them that but sound better??
Maybe they have a better version than the rest of us :lol:

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:50 pm

Are you guys now beginning to see why I resent Universal so much? It's a shame that they own most of the greatest franchises ever and that they seem to care so little about their shows. I mean, they almost completely bypassed the music issue this time, but then they went and tampered with the sound effects! I don't know what goes through these people's minds when they're making their DVD sets... Their extras (or lack thereof half the time) make no sense whatsoever and are half-hearted as well. Sigh.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4: