Question on TKR

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Question on TKR

Post by JJSoCrazy » Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:34 pm

I have a question about TKR, I have never watched it but I have been very eager to see the episode with KITT and Michael. What's the deal with KRO and Devon? Someone please reply and hopefully if you have the episodes on tape or DVD please contact me through AIM or Email,

Thanx

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:01 pm

"michael" (and i use that term loosely lol!) appears played by another actor!!!!!! and "KITT" is some strange hologram thing that appears to help out the main character from time to time. never liked tkr much and the inclusion of these elements always seemed like cheap attempts to win more viewers of the classic series.
"If you're not having a good time, you're doing something wrong." Harrison Black, War Of The Worlds (tv series)

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:47 pm

The whole show was very "comic-bookish" if you asked me.

I think if season 2 ever happened it would have been much better. I think the whole Michael and KITT thing was trown in last minute to bring in the old fans becasue the show's new cast couldn't do it on their own merits. Kinda like when Rodenburry decided to dig up the Romulans on the 1st season of TNG because the new cast and new aliens (Ferengi...uggghhh) weren't catching on yet.

Maybe we would have seen David and a new KITT (in a Ford body more than likely because of the licenseing) for the shows second season. Who knows? I still think some channel like USA or Sci-fi need to ressurrect this show from the second season.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:57 am

weapons, uniforms, a big faceless FLAG, cars that couldn't jump with no real customisation (which seemed to have to be all together to be anywhere near useful and nowhere near as powerful as KITT), and CALLING themselves Team Knight Rider IN the show... there was just too much that i didn't like. didn't think the actors were up to much either to be honest.

it wasn't knight rider to me, and i even remember reading an interview with the creators online somewhere (maybe michael's site) and they had been asked what the fave shows and influences were. they mentioned james bond and several other movies and tv shows but never KNIGHT RIDER!! that says it all to me to be honest!
"If you're not having a good time, you're doing something wrong." Harrison Black, War Of The Worlds (tv series)

Bumfluff
Volunteer

Post by Bumfluff » Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:50 am

I think the original Knight Rider was special not only for the car but it was basically one man against a world of evil/corruption/etc. Basing a group of people on the same concept is bound to not be as successful as it's predecessor. Either that or they should've picked another name for the series :whistle:

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:58 am

I never actually watched a single episode of Team Knight Rider and from what it sounds like, I'm glad I never did. I've seen commercials and brief clips and hated the cars they used...a truck, bike, then they all metamorph into one giant vehicle??? Sounds more like Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers to me. I guess my problem is I feel like a KR vehicle should be turbo boosting, ect. and I have a hard time imagining a truck doing that.

As for the continuity of the story, it's always annoying accepting a new actor playing an old role. Since TKR takes place in the 1990s, it's a prequel to Knight Rider 2000, so this contradicts what happened to K.I.T.T.; he is supposed to be in moth balls until the year 2000. And what about Devon, was he ever mentioned in the series or was he also brought back by another actor? I know Edward Mulhare died in 1997, the same year TKR premiered so maybe that's why he never made a cameo? I am actually pretty curious to see this episode myself just to see how it was pulled off.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:25 pm

It may be a bit misleading to simply say they brought in another actor to play Michael Knight. Although technically true, they only showed him from the back for maybe 10 seconds. It's not like they had an entire episdoe using another actor (now THAT would have been bad.) Bringing Michael Knight back in a larger role would have relied on Hasselhoff's willingness and availablity. Had the show been more of a success I think they might have been able to bring him in for a guest spot in the second season.

I also don't think they abused referencing the original series, so I wouldn't call them cheap attempts to win over original fans. I happened to like some of the throwaway lines they used.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:07 pm

i was intrigued by the last scene in the premiere episode with the mention of michael, though i have to say that not only was this the only scene i actually liked in the whole story, but the eventual payoff was very predictable.

and Lost Knight, i can't remember if they actually mentioned devon but one episode was dedicated to the memory of the late and (very very) great edward mulhare...

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:26 pm

The episode "K.R.O." (the one with the evil Ferrari) was dedicated to the memory of Edward Mulhare. Mulhare passed away in late May of that year, and it's my guess that K.R.O. was the episode in production at the time. (TKR was somewhat unusual in that the entire season was produced before the show even began.)

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:37 pm

For storyline purposes, I would think Devon would at least have a reference made towards him, being that he became the head of the Knight Foundation. I would think he would have been the man responsible for the authorization of funding the Team Knight Rider project and at least assign the assignments to the operatives.

Knight Girl
Operative

Post by Knight Girl » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:49 pm

I never even knew there was a Team Knight Rider series. All I remember is a Baywatch Knights show. LOL

Becky

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:06 pm

Lost Knight wrote:For storyline purposes, I would think Devon would at least have a reference made towards him
They did refer to him. In K.R.O., we learn that James Marland was hand-picked to replace Devon Miles... In Legion of Doom, a retired FLAG employee talks about Devon at the wild parties Wilton Knight used to have.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:15 pm

Interesting...Devon must have quit, then rejoined the Foundation in 2000.

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:21 pm

Lost Knight wrote:Interesting...Devon must have quit, then rejoined the Foundation in 2000.
i think TKR simply ignored the two movies and did its own sequel to the original instead. mike would know for sure perhaps...?

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:19 am

I think it did too and maybe I'm being a nerd about it but continuity errors always bug me! So, I try to make sense out of the storylines whenever possible.

Same thing that a lot of fans on this site did over the situation of K.A.R.R.'s scanner changing from red to yellow by concluding for the most part that the sun bleached it over the two years on the beach.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:21 am

And while I'm on it....Michael Knight appearing is also a continuity error because he's supposed to be in seclusion having nothing to do with the Foundation from 1990-2000.

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:29 am

exactly, they didn't seem to care about the other spin-offs which is a bit selfish really, and a bit daft on universal's part but then again i suppose if they were gonna make a show based on the present which was, at the time, the mid-90s then i guess they had no choice, it would've gotten too confusing otherwise for new viewers.

and i always thought it was the sand and salt water that did that to KARR, after all he was buried underground... ;)

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:29 pm

During an online chat with Brixton Karnes (Kyle) and "Dante" hosted by Universal Studios, they made it clear about KR2000:

Question: Please settle a debate once and for all: When does TKR take place, and does Knight Rider 2000 have any effect on the TKR timeline?
Brixton Karnes: Why don't you answer this, Dante?
Dante: If I must. TKR takes place now. I don't believe we are in the same universe as this KR 2000 that you mentioned.

TKR went in their own direction, ignoring Knight Rider 2000. I think the new movie should also ignore TKR and KR2000, but wouldn't consider it selfish to do so.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:50 pm

I think the upcoming movie shouldn't ignore Knight Rider 2000. Team Knight Rider was a spinoff of the original series and ignored the events of its predecessor, however Knight Rider 2000 continued the story of what happened to the characters of the original series, well at least for Michael, Devon, and K.I.T.T.

The last I heard, Hasselhoff was going to play an older, wiser Michael Knight and Devon was supposed to be brought back as a hologram, which suggests that the producers intended to follow the events of KR 2000, considering that Devon had been killed.

Although KR 2000 was made way before TKR, if you follow the story's timeline, TKR had already ocurred but wasn't mentioned, therefore it could be ignored again in an upcoming movie, especially since it had very little to do with the series or KR 2000. By continuing the story from where KR 2000 left off, it will help give fans a sense of continuity, but for the rest of the mainstream it wouldn't be difficult to get into if they know nothing about Knight Rider's story.

Personally, I would like to know what became of the Knight 4000, Shawn McCormick, and Russ Maddock. If the new movie ignores KR 2000, these questions will never be answered. And like I've suggested, since TKR decided to ignore everything, I don't really consider it a true part of the overall story.

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:51 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:During an online chat with Brixton Karnes (Kyle) and "Dante" hosted by Universal Studios, they made it clear about KR2000:

Question: Please settle a debate once and for all: When does TKR take place, and does Knight Rider 2000 have any effect on the TKR timeline?
Brixton Karnes: Why don't you answer this, Dante?
Dante: If I must. TKR takes place now. I don't believe we are in the same universe as this KR 2000 that you mentioned.

TKR went in their own direction, ignoring Knight Rider 2000. I think the new movie should also ignore TKR and KR2000, but wouldn't consider it selfish to do so.
yeh, i think i probably worded that wrong, kinda convinced myself that they had no choice halfway through my post lol.

i agree with mike on this, it would be best to ignore all of the spin-offs since none of them successfully made it, (and it wouldn't be selfish ;)) it would get confusing trying to explain them in the new movie. after all, not everyone will know of kr2000, 2010 or TKR, so the new movie would have to explain the original series, then the spin-off AND then continue its own follow-up story to the original series. much better to wipe the slate clean and have this as another spin-off all of its own.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:51 pm

Well Team Knight Rider as I said shouldn't be a problem because it ignored everything, and the same would go for Knight Rider 2010 since that had hardly any resemblance to Knight Rider at all and surely didn't provide continuity, or at least anything other than the fact it was set in the year 2010, had a talking car, and shared its title. Therefore, I think that should be ignored in the same respect as TKR.

It isn't necessarily difficult to include some expository dialogue concerning the brief history of the series and/or Knight Rider 2000. If the story and script are written well, it wouldn't be a problem explaining the history breifly in the movie during the in-between-action scenes requiring exposition. We can almost say for certain that the writers will at least have to explain Michael, Devon & K.I.T.T.'s history if Hasselhoff's ideas are to be applied to the final script, so if that's the case, would it be that much harder to also make references to the Knight 4000, McCormick & Maddock?

I would like to know if the Knight 4000 got destroyed, dismantled, rendered obsolete, is still in use by the Foundation, or put in storage. That car became K.I.T.T.'s next generation body (whether we liked it or not); I think ignoring it completely and pretending these events never occurred is the wrong way to go. I think it's pretty safe to say that the Knight 4000 isn't going to be the star car of the movie, so all that would be required is a brief explanation of the Knight 4000's fate.

Besides, TKR and KR 2010 got such overwhelmingly negative reactions from fans on average, or- to make a more fair statement- weren't taken seriously because they had the least to do with the series. KR 2000 also got plenty of negative reactions from fans as well, but in my opinion it was the best attempt of the three to revive the Knight Rider franchise. I think of the three revival attempts, KR 2000's storyline is taken the most seriously and accepted for continuity.

In fact, if they were to do this, maybe a few slight references to some characters in KR 2000 would be sufficient, which would be the same thing that was done in TKR. Only in this case, with the proper continuity.

The attempts that ignored the KR continuity, TKR & KR 2010, failed miserably (TKR lasting only one season for poor ratings and having cheap effects, KR 2010 having almost nothing in common with KR and being relatively unheard of) yet KR 2000 had high ratings in its premier and was even rated #1 watched "Made For Television" movie by NBC at the time, or something of that nature. Point being, using that tactic could be dangerous.

By the way, sorry for the long post!

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:18 pm

i still think the new film will just start from scratch and have a trendy actor playing M Knight with all the other familiar character's, creating a movie version re-run.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fantine
Operative

Post by Fantine » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:55 pm

I like the idea of a 're-run' type movie. It will probably keep the greatest number of people happy.

I wonder if they'll keep it in the 80's or set it in modern day....if they go modern there is the pesky question of making the car work....if they go retro there is the horrible 'cheese' factor....that is making too much fun of themselves.

Ah what a complicated manner films are!

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:58 pm

They went into the future in these movies before...I think it's safe to say they will stick to the present or make it in the future. The idea of making the car more futuristic and hi-tech is just too tempting and logical to pass up for a retro-comedic movie like Starsky & Hutch. If you had the choice of what to do with a hi-tech supercar, would you decide to go into the past or lean towards the future?

midniterider
Recruit

My 1st law of television series

Post by midniterider » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:51 am

It never fails. Never, never, never. Once a series goes beyond it's 3rd season, the producer runs out of ideas for a plot and the show invariably goes downhill....and picks up speed. The characters end up doing incredibly stupid things that make the show completely unbelieveable and improbable. Knight Rider is no exception (case in point-what was up with all those protruding vents on K.I.T.T. that made it look like a frightened porcupine?) Post season-3 decline happened to Airwolf, Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers (although I appreciated the COL Wilma Deering character change to a miniskirt uniform! :D ). It even happened to the mighty Star Trek. I've never understood why the producer of a show never asks the viewing audience to submit ideas for a show. The audience usually has some great ideas. PLUS, you get to see your name on the opening credits! Thoughts?