Comments On DVD Bonus Features From The Team Behind Them

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

DVD Driver
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Comments On DVD Bonus Features From The Team Behind Them

Post by DVD Driver » Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:14 am

Having worked on the Knight Rider: Season One DVD bonus features, I'm gratified to see that everyone here seems happy about what's going on the discs. I wanted to let everyone know how much the people at Universal care about what they put on their discs. (I can say this. I don't work for Universal, though they do contract me for special features.) These folks care about this show and really want to give the fans the best they can.
In this package, you'll get a documentary on the show called "Under the Hood." David and Glen were both a part of this, as well as Joe Huth. We also did a short doc about the stunts with Jack Gill and got the story on the music from Stu Phillips. Glen Larson and David provided the pilot commentary together. It was a joy to watch the two of them reminisce. They're magic together.

David, Glen, Stu and Jack were all so helpful and so much fun to work with. David looks better than ever and is very charming and funny. I can't wait to see where he turns up next. A huge thanks goes out to Joe Huth who kept us honest and informed.

On a personal note, I really wanted to put together features that would make you fans happy. Every day I worked on this project, I thought about the people who love this show and have been waiting for these DVDs for years. You guys were the inspiration for all the work, the care and the love that went into these DVDs.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:18 am

DVD Driver, first off Welcome to our Community!

As you can see we are very excited about this release, it has revitalized the fan base, it's been the topic of conversation everwhere. We are counting down the days and doing our best to get the word out to the visitors to our sites. A day doesn't go by where I am not asked in email about how to purchase Knight Rider on DVD, it's amazing to finally have an answer!

It was obvious when you compare the features on other TV discs to that of Knight Rider, you can see that alot of work has gone into making this disc something that we will appreciate and enjoy. A big thanks to you, your team and everyone at Universal will be shouted when we have these discs in hand.

The Docs on the set sound like alot of fun. Thanks for clearing up what they were about. I'm looking forward to the commentary most of all. Is it a running commentary, or an interview based one? Running meaning did they sit there for almost 2 hours watching the Pilot together? If so, to be a fly on that wall...

If you don't mind, can we ask you some more questions about the disc and the process? For instance, did your company work on the items on the DVD itself or the complete package, exterior and all? Were you given access to the Universal archives? If so what was that like, what interesting things did you find? How was the quality of the masters for the episode, was any restoration need? Also, have you been contracted for future reasons, do you have any info the possibility of their release?

I'm sure we all have tons of questions to throw at you, but I don't want to bombard you with any more of them until you say it is okay. ;)

Thank you again for stopping by, and especially for your dedication on these discs, it shows!

GetKittBack
Rookie

Post by GetKittBack » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:23 pm

hey dvd-driver thanks for the info. and neps that clock is finally workin on my computer :lol:

DVD Driver
Volunteer

Post by DVD Driver » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:02 am

Thanks to everyone here for your support. Knight Rider fans are the best!

If you guys like the discs, you should send a short note or e-mail to Universal Studios Home Video DVD Production department. Let them know they did something right. These guys really work hard to give the fans the best they can. If you ever see a "lean" DVD from Universal, there's usually a reason. Either talent declined to participate, legal issues or material are unavailable. These are really good people there.

I'm glad I could clear up the specifics on the documentaries. As for the commentary, it was recorded by Glen and David as they watched the whole pilot. I think there are just a few places where they skip. Otherwise, it was the two of them sitting through the whole pilot. They were very funny and insightful. I think everyone will love the commentary.

Here the answers to your other questions:
Did your company work on the items on the DVD itself or the complete package, exterior and all?
I only worked on the programs. I delivered the master tapes and my job was done. I'm thrilled, though, with what Universal is doing for the box and menus. I also did the programs on Quantum Leap and was thrilled with Universal's packaging. (Though I have no say on any of that.)

Were you given access to the Universal archives?
I tried to use everything possible I found in the archives. I've included a gallery of set plans and photographs that were shot on set. I was thrilled to find these in the vaults. I tried to put everything i could on the disc and present it in an interesting way.

How was the quality of the masters for the episode, was any restoration need?
The masters may have been fixed after I finished. The screeners I watched looked good.

Also, have you been contracted for future reasons, do you have any info the possibility of their release?
I haven't been asked to do any future seasons yet, but I hope to... and I have ideas!

I'm sure that if fan response is positive and sales look good, there will be more seasons coming! In the meantime, I hope everyone enjoys watching the shows again and the special features. My goal was to make even the most hardcore fan say, "Hey, I never knew THAT!"

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:21 pm

This is definitely sounding like a fan-friendly release, which is great. There is only one thing that would put it completely over the top, but I'm afraid to ask... Was it made on a Mac? :) (Actually out of professional curiousity I'd be interested in knowing what systems you work on.)

Thanks for all the info. We're really looking forward to August.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

86chvs10
FLAG Recruit

Post by 86chvs10 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:29 pm

Well i'm thankful for universal to bring us these awesome dvd's.Thanks a million universal and that thanks for the info DVD Driver. :D

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:35 pm

DVD Driver:

Thank you for the updates! :) I am thrilled that this is getting released in August and I'm planning to make this my very first DVD purchase ever. I just got a Toshiba DVD writer. I'm also thrilled about the extras on the DVD. I loved Knight Rider ever since I was a kid and had seen I'm sure all the episodes at least once. I had the KITT model car kit (eventually fell apart, unfortunately) and the KITT kitt (info on KITT - which unfortunately I don't have anymore). This DVD will make up for all that, I'm sure. :)

I'm currently restoring a Pontiac 6000 into a KITT-like car and my interest in Knight Rider has rekindled. This DVD set will be a "must have" for me. :)

Do keep us updated on the progress and thanks for stopping in and talking with us.

Tony J Case
Recruit

Post by Tony J Case » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:32 pm

DVD Driver wrote:If you guys like the discs, you should send a short note or e-mail to Universal Studios Home Video DVD Production department. Let them know they did something right.
Would you happen to have an e-mail (or snail-mail) address? Preferably something that goes to someone other than the front PR desk, going to someone who will actually read it and care?

That aside, I've very excited about the set. I cant wait to get my copy! Now, do me a favor and wander to the other side of the lot and smack the DVD dev team working on the A-Team and get them to put some extras on season 2!

SwEeTiNsAnItY
Operative

Post by SwEeTiNsAnItY » Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:57 pm

Yeah, if someone could give me an address of some sort I'd be more than happy to let the guys who worked on this know how much I appreciate it! And with that said, thank you DVD Driver for your involvement :) There, now I don't owe you a letter at least :P

DVD Driver
Volunteer

Post by DVD Driver » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:32 am

Thanks for all the kind words.

I wish that the special features were cut on a Mac. Instead, they were done on a PC-based Avid system.

All of my research, interviews and notes were done on a Mac, though. I love my Powerbook. It's the closest thing I have to KITT.

If you want to drop the folks at Universal a note to let them know they did a good job with KR (or anything else) write to:

Universal Studios
Home Video, DVD Production
100 Universal City Plz, Universal City, CA 91608

They get and read their mail. Trust me. I hear about some of the complaints they get. It would be nice if these guys got the message they were doing something right (and that they should keep going with Knight Rider).

As I mentioned before, I think KR fans are some of the kindest and smartest folks around. It was a pleasure meeting Joe Huth and chatting with others online. David Hasselhoff mentioned how incredible the Knight Riders fans are and how much he appreciates it. I could tell how much it means to him. (And some stars take all that for granted.)

Like you, I can't wait for these discs to come out!

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:03 pm

Thanks for the kind words, DVD Driver. I hope to get the chance to work with you again for the future releases of Knight Rider on DVD.

Joe Huth
Knight Rider Historian - visit my website: http://www.KnightRiderHistorians.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Co-author of Knight Rider Legacy

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:42 pm

DVD Driver, allow me to offer you my personal thanks to you and everyone who worked on these DVDs, they're going to be amazing.

No email though? Okay, thanks for the updates, talk to ya later?
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Stringfellow Hawke
Rookie

Post by Stringfellow Hawke » Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:02 am

DVD Driver,

Thank you for sharing very interesting information with us all. I've always been interested in DVD Production, and I'm very glad that Universal USA are putting so much effort and enthusiam into this project. I've sent you a PM (Private Message) regarding two other television shows that I am still fighting for, to be released by Universal USA. I would very much appreciate it if you could reply to that PM directly, as opposed to answering what I've asked in this topic, as 60% of it is non-Knight Rider related.

Thanks again for the information - I sure hope it's Universal London who release this KR set in the UK, as when the horrible Universal-Playback company released the original Battlestar Galactica, there was no audio commentary for the 3-hour "Pilot" whatsoever, yet there was on the Region 1 American release, or the music featurette with an interview by Stu Phillips, who composed and wrote the Main Theme for both Galactica and Knight Rider.

If U-P do release this KR set on behalf of Universal USA, I will have to fork out £60 for a multi-region DVD player, because they always make a right bollocks out of anything that was perfect before they even touched it.

knightman
Operative

Post by knightman » Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:21 am

g'day DVD Driver

Id just like to say yay :dance:

thanks mate for putting knight rider on dvd, do u know if there will be
an aussie (australian) release for the knight rider dvds?

I grew up watching knight rider when i was a kid, sat in kitt when he came down under, and have come close 2 times to owning a ta,
ps will it have dolby digital sound?
thanks again DVD Driver :kitt:

DVD Driver
Volunteer

Post by DVD Driver » Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:09 pm

Wow! You guys ask some smart questions.

I'm not sure what the international plans are. You guys would know better than me how it usually works. I know we'll get a European release just after the one here in the US.

I'm not sure about the audio. The original show may not have even been in stereo (though I could be wrong). I'd imagine they'll stick the the original audio -- which is probably better than messing with something that works.

Stringfellow Hawke
Rookie

Post by Stringfellow Hawke » Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:23 am

DVD Driver wrote:Wow! You guys ask some smart questions.

I'm not sure what the international plans are. You guys would know better than me how it usually works. I know we'll get a European release just after the one here in the US.

I'm not sure about the audio. The original show may not have even been in stereo (though I could be wrong). I'd imagine they'll stick the the original audio -- which is probably better than messing with something that works.
Hi again DVD Driver - Could you please respond to the Private Message I sent you, regarding "Airwolf" and "The Equalizer" - apologies to the KR members about mentioning something off-topic, but I really want to know what is going to be done with those two shows.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:33 am

I think you may want to ease off of him a bit Stringfellow Hawke, as DVD Driver has said he's just a 3rd party individual with these discs so he doesn't know everything that Universal has planned. If he knew anything that he was able to let you know about, he would reply.

Stringfellow Hawke
Rookie

Post by Stringfellow Hawke » Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:33 am

Right okay - I apologise. Sorry. :cry:

UKKnightRiderFan
Volunteer

Post by UKKnightRiderFan » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:20 am

DVD Driver, many thanks for the info. I have a question. Is the DVD boxset going to be released in the UK? And if so, when?

I apologise if this question has already been answered, I'm just as eager to get my hands on this as the rest of you lol

DVD Driver
Volunteer

Dates, etc.

Post by DVD Driver » Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:18 pm

Hey, Guys.

Here's what I know:
A November UK release was mentioned to me. That's always subject to change.

I'm not sure about Airwolf or Equalizer. My contacts haven't heard about a release date yet.

Hope that helps!

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:14 am

Thanks again for coming to share your thoughts with us DVD Driver. :)

I've also been told November for region 2 getting the boxset. Good to hear we have consistent info. Its supposedly due the week after the new video game releases here - which makes logistical sense. ;)

You are also right about the sound not being stereo. According to the Universal website the boxset is in mono, but still remixed.

Anyway, here's my questions:

Was William Daniels interviewed at all for the DVD?

And did either David or Glen mention anything at any point about the proposed new movie?

Have you heard anything about Team Knight Rider perhaps getting a release on DVD?

Have a great summer! 8)

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:52 am

KR was originally produced in stereo only from season 4, which, unfortunately, was the last season.

It had good sound on our UP dvd's, as far as season 4 eps were concerned.

So I hope S1 sells well enough to get that far.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DVD Driver
Volunteer

Post by DVD Driver » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:01 pm

William Daniels wasn't involved in any of the features I was involved with, though he was certainly discussed. (Hey, he's an important part of the team!)

I'm not sure about Team Knight Rider, but I think KR 2000 is included in the set.

David and Glen informally chatted about the movie while they were in my office. Both of them are doing everything they can to get it on to the big screen. I don't think anything is confirmed. (But, personally, I'm hoping it happens soon!)

Stringfellow Hawke
Rookie

Re: Dates, etc.

Post by Stringfellow Hawke » Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:38 am

DVD Driver wrote:Hey, Guys.

Here's what I know:
A November UK release was mentioned to me. That's always subject to change.

I'm not sure about Airwolf or Equalizer. My contacts haven't heard about a release date yet.

Hope that helps!
Okay, thank you - November seems reasonable, though I'm buying myself a multi-region DVD player, and buying the Region 1 version of the set - I don't trust Universal-Playback, because they'll end up releasing the Region 2 set in the UK, and they'll no doubt take away the 'PILOT' audio commentary and two featurettes (Stunts and Music), like they did with "Battlestar Galactica".

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:17 am

That makes sense about the Nov release date for the UK because Quantum Leap is also being released in this month in region 2 format with specs to be identical to the R1 release.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;