Mustang a red herring?

Archive for discussions from 2007. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

HungarianKnight
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Mustang a red herring?

Post by HungarianKnight » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:37 pm

I was thinking a lot about the new Kitt being a Mustang and a weird idea crossed my mind. What if the crew is throwing in the Mustang as a delibarate deception for the fans to keep their mindy busy and focusing on the project development.

We have seen pictures of a TA being built and it's probably not for a single episode, that would be such nonsense as they could "hire" a replica for the pilot. It would be crazy too to build two cars, a TA and a Mustang when looking upon budget economy.

I'm not saying that Kitt will remain a Trans Am but the more informations are coming in, I think that the Mustang is a big red herring...

flemmo
Rookie

Post by flemmo » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:44 pm

I hope it is. There are so many better cars out there. But I fear it isn't a red herring, just NBC thinking business rather than what's right for the show and the fans.
Same goes for building the old trans am. It might be cheaper to build up a new one that hire/buy an existing one. Especially if they plan to do something like destroy it, maybe in a flashback or something. Obviously then no owner would agree to their pride and joy being destroyed just to fill a few seconds on screen putting the old series to bed. This is all hypothetical of course!

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:59 pm

My sources confirm that KITT will be a mustang. It is not confirmed however if this will be KITT's final form or one of his disguise modes in the back-door pilot.

Ford is officially involved with NBCU.

=VK=

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:01 pm

I sincerely hope they make some more modifications to the Mustang, then. Judging from the pictures, the entire car is completely stock. It's like they just grabbed any car off the road and called it K.I.T.T. It's like they spent a total of 5 minutes choosing the car. What a let down. :roll:
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

dzuchowski
Stranger

Post by dzuchowski » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:11 pm

it seems to me that there the Pontiac Firebird/TransAm was canceled it in 2002. Bob Lutz has stated that there will be no Firebird/TransAm as it does not fit with in the new mission of Pontiac being a BMW type of division. I loved the Kitt 2000 as much as anyone but lets face it Ford may have out paid GM to have the mustang in the new tv show. Now keep in mind that there will be a movie version out in a few years that could use a Chevy Camaro like they did in a special of Knight Rider on TV. I say use both the Chevy and the Ford and the Dodge and have them for different purposes.

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:43 pm

i hope they do something to the mustangs interior, hopefully it will have a cool looking dash and some type of gull wing steering wheel.

Shokara
Stranger

Post by Shokara » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:17 am

If we're talking about the new Mustang GT, keep in mind that although technically it's a Ford it was developed by Saleen as is the upcoming 2009 Chevy Camaro from GM. Ironically, because of both cars' ties to Saleen this makes the Mustang tied to GM too. And as I'm sure many of you here are aware of, both cars were showcased in the recent live-action Transformers movie, the 2009 Camaro being the heroic Autobot Bumblebee, and the Mustang GT outfitted as a police cruiser as the evil Decepticon Barricade. This movie was the producers' inspiration for getting the made-for-TV pilot movie off the ground.

MJknight
Operative

Post by MJknight » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:07 am

I have to be honest I am very 'skeptical' about KITT being a Mustang.

Don't get me wrong, the Mustang is a classic and will always be. It is a favourite of mine as a car-nut, but I am not sure that it is the right choice for KITT.

I sincerely hope that Glen goes for something more appropriate for the movie.
One Man Can Make A Difference - Wilton Knight

d_osborn
Operative

Post by d_osborn » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:49 am

victor kros wrote: Ford is officially involved with NBCU.

=VK=
... as is Nissan, which I was hoping would cross over to KR. Oh well...

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:52 am

victor kros wrote:My sources confirm that KITT will be a mustang. It is not confirmed however if this will be KITT's final form or one of his disguise modes in the back-door pilot.

Ford is officially involved with NBCU.

=VK=
Ick, I hope not...I don't want KITT to be a Ford....

What'll really be annoying is that Ford isn't gonna be stupid like GM and actually let them call it a Mustang, they'll likely see the free advertising. ...stupid Pontiac.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:33 pm

I honestly like the idea now for having a totally different car for the 3000 (in this case the Mustang) as long as the final car will have its own distinct character just like the old 2000 had. I agree if the old 2000 KITT CPU was to be used in the series they should have created a car much more in spirit with the old KITT, but as this 3000 is not the old KITT I really see why it would make sense having an all new fresh approach to it. Besides the Mustang fills in the part of the KITT philosophy quite nicely, being a car with presence and style and a hint of mystery but not in an extreme kind of way to make it stand out to much... just like the original KITT in the 80's which was wow and cool looking but also quite stealthy at the same time. And as Mustangs are around quite a lot this car will be "stealthy" too... sort of...

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:51 pm

yeah but it's a ford...:lol:
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:26 pm

So? The original Batmobile (Ford brand) was too... but that did not stop the movie makers to use other vehicles? Don't want to upset anybody... but I am really excited that Ford is going Knight Rider... sure I am a Ford fan... yes... so it is my dream. But with all due respect... GM don't make a cool affordable car anymore with the punch and presence of a Mustang (or the good old TA for that matter).

*looks at the mob friendly* Please don't hate me. It's just my opinion.

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:35 pm

Solid Snake wrote:So? The original Batmobile (Ford brand) was too... but that did not stop the movie makers to use other vehicles? Don't want to upset anybody... but I am really excited that Ford is going Knight Rider... sure I am a Ford fan... yes... so it is my dream. But with all due respect... GM don't make a cool affordable car anymore with the punch and presence of a Mustang (or the good old TA for that matter).

*looks at the mob friendly* Please don't hate me. It's just my opinion.
Cadillac CTS Motor Trend COTY if you mean GM although for Mustang the Camaro is still not out yet so yes in accordance to coupes in that price range.