Can you realy call Kitt a computer?

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by knightimmortal » Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:36 pm

Yeah, and if you read further, you would know that there was more to that statement than that one singular sentence. What is it with this community that only reads what they want to, and then reject the rest? Not to mention, while you are at it, READ the damn sentence. It says "even comes close to", not saying that is the only criteria for it.

If you are going to gripe, at least don't take it out of context and create your own argument over a misconstrued idea, take it in the context in which it was stated.

KI

SadArticle
Operative

Post by SadArticle » Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:47 pm

Darknight wrote:KITT did not want to be more human, with the fullest level of desire to which he was capable? I defy you to prove that with reason. KITT made it known more than once that his true wishes were not only to know more about humans, but also to be more like the life form after which he was programmed.

DK
Yes, he wanted to know about humans, and what 'makes them tick' - humour, sadness, etc. But I really don't think he ever wanted to actually be human - I think he actually despaired of humans on occasions.

Not meaning to sound contrary, but I'm interested - provide an example to illustrate your last point ("but also to be more like the the life form after which he was programmed"), Darknight. I can't think of a scene, or a quote, but would like to hear evidence that supports your view.

Sarah
We'll never get the smell out of the upholstery - Kitt, Knightlines

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:52 pm

Dreamchild wrote:Personally I find it rather sad that the whole of the human experience could be reduced to reproduction. I feel that humanity encompasses rather more than that.

Calum
In that context, most living things, sentient or not, use reproduction. So, that voids the idea that it defines only Humanity. It only qualifies as a process of ID'ing a living life form.

However, one thing that does define Humanity is a desire to be controlling of the environment around them past the point of any other Earth realm living being. Sure, a plant will push away ground to grow, ants will remove debree, beavers will dam up rivers, birds will weave nests and such. But, Humans will take a formerly complex structure and force it to obey a simpler one that favors mostly us. We think about doing more than just the basic needs that KARR mentioned. In fact, Humanity is the only species capable of going further and further towards these goals by constantly refining the tools used to accomplish such unnatural goals.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:13 pm

jup wrote:However, one thing that does define Humanity is a desire to be controlling of the environment around them past the point of any other Earth realm living being... In fact, Humanity is the only species capable of going further and further towards these goals by constantly refining the tools used to accomplish such unnatural goals.
I'm going to defend humanity a bit here... Some of my best friends are humans. We are the only species that will put self-imposed limits on how much we will dominate the environment. If left unchecked by predators or limited resources, insects would have no problem completely taking over the planet, ultimately killing off themselves. The same goes for lions or killer whales or oak trees.

I know it's politically correct to say that human beings are destroying the planet, but any other species would be happy to do it if given the chance. The only difference is that we forsee long-term consequences and at least attempt to slow things down.

Although we are (arguably) the most intelligent form of life on planet earth, in terms of numbers or by mass we are by no means the dominant lifeform.

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Sat Mar 08, 2003 5:02 am

Yes Kitt is a computer.

Like the holographic doctor in Star Trek Voyager he was able to create new sub-routines to handle new situations and grow beyond his original program parameters.

But we saw in several episodes that by changing memory cards etc you could alter the way Kitt acted, and even a couple of times we saw Kitt getting hacked.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Sat Mar 08, 2003 9:50 pm

"After all, we're only human, right?"

"Don't press your luck."

That one comes to mind off the top of my head. I don't have a collection of episodes to browse through, so I'm going strictly off memory and impression.

DK

SadArticle
Operative

Post by SadArticle » Sun Mar 09, 2003 5:36 am

Heh. That's actually a pretty good one, DK, and from the pilot too.

Not to detract from Darknight's 'evidence', but I think the scriptwriters were all over the place with how 'human' Kitt was supposed to be. Some continuity might have been nice, but probably too much to expect for an action adventure show. All that 'highway of love' and double-entendre car park pick-up talk from the last season made me cringe.

Sarah
We'll never get the smell out of the upholstery - Kitt, Knightlines

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Sun Mar 09, 2003 10:34 pm

They certainly did have continuity problems, which are very disconcerting to some newbies. My girlfriend has asked some good questions, but I got her to just relax and enjoy the show, rather than focusing on the flaws. It's hard to 'prove' anything 100% when you're dealing with KR. Instead, about 95% sureness is about the best you can do for most things...barring the proven, indisputable facts.

DK

Jayn
Volunteer

Post by Jayn » Sun Mar 09, 2003 11:26 pm

Personally I think KITT was a bit of both, he is a computer but he did had a personality so he did had a little human in him. Also I'd like to point out that everyone here prefer to call him a he, him, or KITT not it or the car. I along with other "Dukes" fans know the General Lee as a him even if he is just a car so it doesn't really matter. 8)