Anyone get their replacement Season 3 DVDs yet?

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

stevenmh
Stranger

Post by stevenmh » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:17 pm

How are you guys getting in touch with anybody for a replacement set? I've emailed twice now, once using the contact form at the website, and again using the direct email posted in this thread. I've called the number and left a message stating my contact info and reason for calling. I've been polite on every correspondence. I don't know what I'm supposed to do. My first correpondance was 4-6 weeks ago, the phone call was last week.

I suppose I can leave another message asking if the proper replacement procedure is to buy a V2 set and then return the V1 set, but I'd like to find a way to avoid getting nasty if possible. Anybody have any ideas?

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Joe Huth » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:55 am

Just a small update concerning the sound effects in the new Season 3 set....

So far, I've watched every episode from "Drones" through "Buy Out". I've only found about 2 or 3 sound effects still missing. Two have been mentioned here before....the music missing in "Drones" and "Dead of Knight". The only other sound effect I have found missing so far is in "Buy Out". When KITT unlocks the limo's trunk, you see a graphic on his monitor of it being unlocked, but there's no sound. I'm 99% sure there was originally a sound effect there. I'm getting ready to watch "Knightlines" now, which I noticed had quite a few SFX missing the first time around. Guess we'll see...

Joe

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:28 pm

I STILL didn't get the replacement for the replacement set. :( I got a call after leaving a message and sending an E-Mail. The guy from Universal said that Fed-Ex got the wrong phone # and couldn't reach me because apparently they couldn't find me. (They could easily find me the last time, and the guy from Universal even verified my contact information yet again). This time, Fed-Ex screwed up. :( Now they sent the set back since they couldn't find my place! So Universal is going to try sending again. Which means I should hopefully get the new set Thursday. At least I hope to.

1ManCnMkeADffrnce2006
Rookie

Post by 1ManCnMkeADffrnce2006 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:26 am

Now I see what everyone is talking about. I watched the "Knightlines" episode last night and noticed during the episode several errors on the DVD (I do not know if this is Universals fault on the first incident or that my DVD player needs a good cleaning, but I did notice twice thereafter that there was no sound whatsoever during two scene's in the episode. So I would wager a guess that that IS Universals fault). In the first incident when the victim falls from the high rise my DVD froze for a minute or so, (Gee, what I always wanted to see, stop motion of a man plummeting to his death! :) ) so I will not blame Universal for that unless the faithful here have had the same encounter. On the sound issues I noticed after KITT took the two pictures and Micheal made the U-Turn to head back there was no sound whatsoever. None of the engine with the electric swoosh sound or whatever you all want to call it. Also no sound again when Micheal parked in front of the house/condo(?) later on in the episode as well. I hope, but probably will not get no more sound surprises for my season 3 DVD's. Let me know if any of you have encountered these problems on their "Knightlines" episode.
One man CAN make a difference Michael.
"I raised him(KITT) from a little ass" - "Ice Bandits"

sidemachine
Volunteer

Direct Purchase?

Post by sidemachine » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:20 am

Hello, everyone!

Okay, I've checked at about 5 different stores here in Hawai'i. And these were ALL national chain stores. None of their Season 3 DVD sets of Knight Rider had "Francois" (French) listed on the back for subtitles. Thanx to sophos77, I tend to believe this is a clear indicator of a set having "fixed" audio.

Anyhow, it seems it may be a while before the stores here clear out their initial stock to warrant another shipment.

I was wondering, was the information people were passing about here (a phone number, an e-mail address) worth using to contact Universal for the possibility of a direct purchase? I mean, wouldn't it make more sense to buy the "correct audio" S3 DVD straight from the source or does Universal expect us to buy a messed up set first before we can get the improved one? I think EVH5150 may have hinted toward the idea of ordering directly from Universal, if I'm not mistaken. I think it's a good idea.

No matter what, I love this show. I've already gotten though Season 1 right quick & am making way through Season 2 right now. The blind girl with the seeing-eye dog is kinda cute. [I wonder if she's really blind.]

Best wishes, everyone.

Sincerely,
sidemachine

EVH5150
Volunteer

Post by EVH5150 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:56 pm

I think what we really need to do is compile a list of people here who refuse to buy the current in-store versions of Season 3, then contact Universal to say "all of these people want to spend their money on your DVDs, but won't until you provide them with the corrected DVDs".

They might not bother to reply, but it's probably the only way at the minute.
Brian Elliott is a journalist, and a regular contributor to DVD Reviewer and SLAM! Wrestling .

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:19 pm

Just today I got my pristine KR S3 set. The box was in a hard cardboard box, wrapped in crumpled paper cushioning. The box was shrink wrapped and brand new, no dents. The disc cases the same - all in new shape. Each side of each disc had NO scratches.

I have to play the discs when I have time and note any issues that I notice. Right now I'm busy with work and also my PC's power supply died on me so I'm borrowing a friend's computer and also have to install a few things so I can work again.

PoorComputerMan
Stranger

Post by PoorComputerMan » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:54 pm

I also received my perfect condition replacement for replacement set today. It looks like the saga will continue though. The set appears to be an uncorrected set. It does not have the french subtitle language on the back as the corrected set does. I just can't believe this. I will have to open it and check.

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:58 pm

PoorComputerMan wrote:I also received my perfect condition replacement for replacement set today. It looks like the saga will continue though. The set appears to be an uncorrected set. It does not have the french subtitle language on the back as the corrected set does. I just can't believe this. I will have to open it and check.
Please do. If is IS in fact correct, we'll be curious to see what the differences are in your packaging.

PoorComputerMan
Stranger

Post by PoorComputerMan » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:02 pm

I just tried out the second replacement set. It is apparently corrected. The music is there in the intro of Junkyard Dog.

The second replacement set is numbered 19243 and does not have the French subtitles listed on the outer box. They are listed on the individual cases.

The first replacement set is numbered 19951 and has the French subtitles listed on both the outer box and the individual cases.

In summary, they both appear to house the corrected discs.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:00 am

Last night, I watched Knight of the Drones on the new replacement set and again, after KITT is destroyed and they show the two girls dancing on the stage at the Golden Fox Club, there is NO music! :(

I haven't checked Dead of Knight and Knightlines yet, and have noted to check Junkyard Dog as well.

J-Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by J-Knight » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:32 pm

Doesn't look like Prince would allow them to use his music :(
Devon-"Shall we drink to the start of.."
Michael-"Of what?"
Devon-"One mans Dream"

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:06 pm

You'd think they would put ANY other music in there though and not have someone dancing to NO music! Also in Dead of Knight when that poisoned girl is auditioning - again, NO MUSIC.

I will check out KnightLines for the mentioned sounds at some point as well, and post here the findings (unless anyone else does first, and anyone is more than welcome to do so. :) )

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:42 pm

Well, on the back of the box it does say 2 songs are omitted, one of which is on KOTD and the other concerns the episode 'Dead of Knight'. So I don't understand how you guys would come to think the songs would be there on a corrected set.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:12 am

I'm not sure about everyone but I've held off buying the season 3 boxset because I haven'y got a clue whats going on with the replacements. As far as I can tell unless you pester Universal USA you'll get a replacement set. However for anyone outside of the USA this is unrealistic. So the rest of us have to wait till the replacement sets filter to USA suppliers......which I doubt is happening????

btw, what is the UPC or catalogue code for the corrected boxset...eg according to loaded247 the original sets code are as followed:

Catalogue Number: 100029244
UPC/Barcode Number: 025192924422

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

andy-kitt
FLAG Assistant

Post by andy-kitt » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:48 am

I haven't brought season 3 region 2 because of this mess and I know from coleagues over on KnightRiderUK I am not alone.

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:51 am

I have now viewed the entire 3rd season of the replacement DVDs. Besides the music omissions in Drones and Dead of Knight, and a few other EXTREMELY minor sound effect omissions, the set is complete. Certainly 99% better than the original set.

Joe

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:08 am

Skav wrote:Well, on the back of the box it does say 2 songs are omitted, one of which is on KOTD and the other concerns the episode 'Dead of Knight'. So I don't understand how you guys would come to think the songs would be there on a corrected set.
It just says "Includes all original music except for two songs". But it does not say anything about omitting any sounds or songs. They COULD have replaced those two with something else instead, just so that dancing to nothing didn't look so rediculous.

I watched Knightlines last night and some of the mentioned missing effects such as the ones below are all in mine, and are all ok:

1. Victim falling from highrise - no freezing of the action.

2. KITT takes 2 pictures, does a u-turn. There was sound through it all, including his engine on take-off.

3. Parked in front of house/condo... Any scene that KITT was parked in front of a house, etc. there was always sound. Sometimes not always background music, but there was sound, etc. You could hear the boy skating up, even, at night.

I'll take Joe Huth's word that about all the sounds should be intact. :) Seems like it from my end except the two aforementioned pieces of music, which I'll email them about it (as I was told to let them know).

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:13 am

Sorry to repeat myself, Joe or FuzzieDice, is the UPC code the same as the original set? It would be handy as I try to get either amazon or loaded247 to see if they can get that specific set.

Thanks
Sarfraz

1ManCnMkeADffrnce2006
Rookie

Post by 1ManCnMkeADffrnce2006 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:41 pm

FuzzyDice,
What is the five digit number you have on the back corner of your set? I'd like to refer to it when I contact Universal to see about a replacement set. Thanks for the info on the three specified incidents on Knightlines.

1ManCnMkeADffrnce2006

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:40 pm

I don't know about the original, as I don't have the original I bought from Amazon.com anymore and don't remember if I got the # off it.

The both replacement sets I got have 19951 on the bottom corner of the box. On the back it mentions subtitles in English, Spanish and French. The number on the spine is 29244.

EVH5150
Volunteer

Post by EVH5150 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:10 pm

sarfraz wrote:I'm not sure about everyone but I've held off buying the season 3 boxset because I haven'y got a clue whats going on with the replacements. As far as I can tell unless you pester Universal USA you'll get a replacement set. However for anyone outside of the USA this is unrealistic. So the rest of us have to wait till the replacement sets filter to USA suppliers......which I doubt is happening????

btw, what is the UPC or catalogue code for the corrected boxset...eg according to loaded247 the original sets code are as followed:

Catalogue Number: 100029244
UPC/Barcode Number: 025192924422

Sarfraz
Same position here, my friend.
Brian Elliott is a journalist, and a regular contributor to DVD Reviewer and SLAM! Wrestling .

1ManCnMkeADffrnce2006
Rookie

Post by 1ManCnMkeADffrnce2006 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:58 am

FuzzieDice wrote:I don't know about the original, as I don't have the original I bought from Amazon.com anymore and don't remember if I got the # off it.

The both replacement sets I got have 19951 on the bottom corner of the box. On the back it mentions subtitles in English, Spanish and French. The number on the spine is 29244.
I think its the 29244 number I was referring to. But the 19951 looks closer to one I think I have. I'll see what I can do with them etc. Thanks again.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:31 am

I just sent out an e-mail to universal via this address:

USHE.ConsumerRelations@worldmarkinc.com

Got a response back stating that they cannot deal with requests outside of the USA and Canada. What I was trying to fish for information about is whether the corrected boxsets have shipped to any stockists. If anyone within the USA could e-mail them stating that, maybe we can get a reply. 19951 seems to be the changed code for the boxset and everything else (code-wise) is the same.

As soon as we can find a retailer that has the corrected DVD's things from an international order point become alittle simpler.....hopefully.

Sarfraz

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:01 am

Just recieved this e-mail after inquiring about corrected dvds within the USA:

Dear Sarfraz,

Thank you for contacting us.
Please direct your inquiry to the Universal Studios Home Video Customer
Service Department at:
Universal Pictures International
Oxford House, 76 Oxford Street
London W1N 1BS England
44 (0) 20 7307 1371
We appreciate your interest and hope that you will continue to enjoy
Universal products.

Sincerely,

Universal Studios Home Entertainment

...talk about banging your head against the wall!! any USA member please e-mail Universal asking whether and which USA retailer is shipping the corrected boxset.

Sarfraz