Why only 4 seasons?

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

elevator_opratr
Volunteer

Why only 4 seasons?

Post by elevator_opratr » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:52 pm

Hello all! I just found this site and am thrilled to see so many current fellow Knight Rider fans! I wait with baited breath every couple months for the Sci-Fi channel to show the day-long marathons.

Anyway, seeing how many fans the show had from reading sites like this, I can't help but ask, "why only 4 seasons?" What were the reasons at the time for cancellation? Poor ratings? I don't see how that was possible with the multitude of fans I've run into.

Knight Rider should have run as long as 'Dallas' or 'Murder She Wrote' or any of those other decade long running drama/crime shows.

Lyn
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Lyn » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:58 am

Yeah, I agree with you there, and I think "Baywatch" sure was the long-running one for DH, but somehow I think that show ran 2 seasons too long, and "Knight Rider" should've had more episodes, as in 2 or 3 years' worth of shows left, and I was really upset when "Knight Rider" was cancelled after 4 seasons, because I really was getting into all the action happening on the show, and the show ended too soon.
The half-hour episodes of "Knight Rider" didn't do the show justice when it was in reruns, but the more hour-long sort of thing did do the show justice.
I'm glad for the DVD sets of the 1st and 2nd seasons of the show, since they have entire episodes with no commercials!
Uh, pardon my rambling on like an idiot..... :) 8) :? :shock: :roll: :wink: :!: 8) :wink: :?

KARR_RULES
Volunteer

Post by KARR_RULES » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:04 am

I always thought that maybe pontiac forced the close of the show due to them not wanting to supply the production/stuunt team with trans ams anymore, by 1986 the shape and design of the trans ams were changing.
possible???
hmmmmmmm
Space..... the final Frontier and all that other good stuff :)

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:33 am

KARR_RULES wrote:I always thought that maybe pontiac forced the close of the show due to them not wanting to supply the production/stuunt team with trans ams anymore, by 1986 the shape and design of the trans ams were changing.
possible???
hmmmmmmm
Actually, the overall shape and design of the 1982 Firebird remain unchanged (except for some wheel, bumper, tail lights, ground effects add-ons and engine upgrades) until the 1993 model year when they totally redesigned the car from the ground up.

Pontiac never forced the closure of the series. The show ended when ratings weren't as high as the earlier seasons. The producers tried to revive the show with the intro of the SPM KITT in the fourth season, but it didn't help much. And the show was canned.

KARR_RULES
Volunteer

Post by KARR_RULES » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:46 am

oh thats why,
well thanks for setting me straight.
Space..... the final Frontier and all that other good stuff :)

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:07 am

Also, it was an issue of budget as well. The producers added RC3 to bring in a new face and make new storylines, but that wasn't enough. Then Universal spent over $250,000 building the Convertible Mode car and the Super Pursuit Mode car as well as close-up vehicles used for the transition shots. Ultimately, when all the money spent on these new cars did little to boost the show's ratings like executives hoped, it just wasn't worth it for NBC to grant Knight Rider a 5th season.

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:31 am

I think I They should have just has a break for a couple of years, then made some more.

If they had done that i think it would have boosted the ratings up, thus making more money.

Arroww'
Operative

Post by Arroww' » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:28 pm

The show end was due to the poor ratings AND the increasing costs of the 4th season. :cry: :cry: :cry: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:35 pm

Hence the reason why they concentrated more on story than stunts in s4.