2004: Year in review

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

2004: Year in review

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:50 pm

I thought it would be fun to expand upon what Sith started in other thread, talking about what a good year it was for Knight Rider. Some things stayed the course: our sites continued to preach the gospel, movie rumors went back and forth... but there were some cool brand new things that happened.

As Sith mentioned, of course the biggest news was the long-awaited Season one boxset. There was also the second Knight Rider videogame.

In addition:

Knight Con hosted the first truly large-scale Knight Rider convention.

Patricia McPherson stepped out of the shadows after many years to attend Knight Registries' annual event.

David Hasselhoff released a Knight Rider remix

Many other things happened this year... please add to the list.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:52 pm

Aoshima and ERTL released the highly awaited KITT and KARR models. So rad. 8)
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

theweapon
Stranger

Post by theweapon » Sat Dec 25, 2004 3:14 pm

Where can I get that remix?

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:07 pm

ditto

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:19 am

I don't think the club mix that he sung at an event in the UK is available anywhere legally yet. His "Sings America" album does have an updated instrumental of the Knight Rider Theme, which you can hear a sample of and purchase here:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... d=15229019

As for the year in review, this year does feel like it was more rewarding than previous, even if it didn't see the release of a new series or movie. It seemed like Knight Rider was everywhere, or perhaps David was everywhere fueling the fire.

Some others for the list:

Don Peake released his first Knight Rider CD

David Hasselhoff appeared on RTL driving KITT, he also then also appeared on top of Menace's KITT to promote the Season 1 DVD and his concert appearance performing the remix.

A Knight Rider lunchbox was on display at the Smithsonian

A poor excuse for a KITT appeared on Nick and Jessica's Variety Hour

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:33 am

Michael Pajaro wrote:I thought it would be fun to expand upon what Sith started in other thread, talking about what a good year it was for Knight Rider....Many other things happened this year... please add to the list.
Your TKR site is gone.....or was it gone long ago? Not to mention, the new-look http://knightridermovie.com

Knight Rider was taken off my local channel, to be replaced with Miami Vice, which is now replaced by Ally McBeal.

Two Indian take-offs on Knight Rider were made- a movie, "Taarzan- The Wonder Car" (a car with a mind of its own, and a dangerous one) and a TV series known as Tiger (this one can talk, and doesn't believe in killing!).

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:26 pm

Here was the list I was working on, some repeats now:

January
HotTopic & Nordstroms carry new Knight Rider T-shirts from Barris Kustom. 80stees.com also has a new line of Knight Rider shirts.

February
KITT makes another appearance on The Simpsons, this time appearing in a museum exhibit of “Things that shouldn’t talk but do”. William Daniels is a guest voice to say two words: “Door ajar”.

March
TV Guide (March 20-26) has a short article about the new custom-car craze on TV. They include a picture of Michael and KITT as one of TV's famous car stars.

April
The Smithsonian opens an exhibit featuring 75 lunchboxes, which represent American pop culture throughout the decades. The Knight Rider lunchbox is among them.
KITT makes an appearance on the “Nick & Jessica Variety Hour.” The on-stage replica is a strange half-SPM hybrid, and KITT sings a dreadful duet with Nick.

May
David Hasselhoff appears on Wayne Brady and says that he is looking for a new studio to do the Knight Rider movie. The original studio apparently didn’t want the car to talk.
There is a bizarre rumor that Ice-T is going to produce a rap album with Hasselhoff. David officially denies it on his website.

June
David Hasselhoff has a cameo appearance in the movie Dodgeball playing a German coach.
Hasselhoff is arrested for Driving Under the Influence. He is later issued a small fine and ordered to do community service. Despite some instances of tabloid journalism, his reputation seems mostly unharmed.

July
David Hasselhoff joins the cast of Chicago in London.
An “actual KITT used during the show” sells on eBay auction for $54,000. The auction gets a lot of publicity not only on the internet but on television as well.

August
The Knight Rider Season 1 DVD boxset is released to rave review from fans. The set is loaded with well-produced, exlcusive bonus materials.
Germany hosts “Knight Con 2004”, possibly the largest gathering of Knight Rider fans in more than a decade. Composers Stu Philips and Don Peake are there, as is German author Frank Rehfel.
Don Peake releases a new Knight Rider soundtrack CD.
Knight Registries has their annual Nationals replica gathering, this time with guests Patricia McPherson, Pamela Susan Shoup and Don Peake.

October
TV Land airs a “Top Ten TV Cars” show. KITT comes in #3, after the Batmobile and the General Lee.
Davilex releases their second Knight Rider videogame in Europe.

November
David Hasselhoff has a cameo in the Spongebob Squarepants movie, and becomes the defacto spokesperson for the film.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:06 pm

Arjun wrote:Your TKR site is gone.....or was it gone long ago?
One of my resolutions for the new year is to get back into the Knight Rider website game... we'll see how that goes.

Have you seen Tarzaan or Tiger?

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:32 am

Have you seen Tarzaan or Tiger?
I have only seen bits-and-pieces of Taarzan. That car has a mid of its own, but no voice, and is very murderous. The man who created the car was killed by gangsters, whom this car hunts down- to kill. In one part, it chases one of them into a lake, to drown. Knight Rider had a lot of fun elements, but this movie is just plain violent.

I have seen two episodes of Tiger, both of which are corny. The car looks silly, and has the voice of a man pretending to be a very prominent actor in the Indian film industry. If you watch a full episode, you'll find a lot of elements stolen from Knight Rider, but not much of this show is discussed on the Internet, and there is no existence of connections revealed officially, as was with Taarzan- the directors have not heard of Knight Rider! In one episode, you find the heroes and the car fighting some dumb smugglers dressed as ghosts!

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:48 am

i have to say that on a personal note, the end of 2004 has awoken the need in me to collect knight rider ANYTHING! lol! thanks to receiving the signed stu phillips book from a competition at natalie's david hasselhoff site mainly, so thanks again nat ;) x

the season one box set, the book and a signed (by hasselhoff) dvd (the latter for christmas), is as far as i am concered only the beginning :D iv seen so many things on ebay right down to old Look-In magazines and annuals, i used to have all them as a kid so reacquiring them would be great! i never knew how much there was out there old and new that i could start to collect, and the new model is next on the list. and as i have said elsewhere i can see universal taking more advantage of the adult kr collector scene this year so "woo" and indeed "hoo!"

i would like to thank this site as well, and all you guys on it, as obviously without it my link to all of this wouldn't exist and i'd be stuck watching bravo every day lol!!
"If you're not having a good time, you're doing something wrong." Harrison Black, War Of The Worlds (tv series)