Third Season Dashboard functions

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

JJohnson
Rookie
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Third Season Dashboard functions

Post by JJohnson » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:54 pm

I found this image of the board from the third season:

It lists out pretty much everything from the dash. I'm not worrying about the convertible mode or the switchpods, but aside from those, I was wondering if someone could help me with what the indicators actually do on there.

Compass:
N, S, E, W - self explanatory - how much in that direction you're going. A functional compass.

Speedometer Board:
signal: ? fm/am signal strength?
tuning: ?
Lo, Hi: ?; I could probably use this for bluetooth pairing
VHF, UHF: I'm assuming KITT picked up tv signals
AM, FM: whether the radio is tuned to AM or FM
CB: whether Michael was listening to or using CB radio at the time
9-digit readout: total mileage
4-digit upper-left readout: trip-meter, which could at a button display range left in the current tank of gas, trip distance, or miles traveled (last 2 like my current car's trip A and trip B options, I guess); how to reset this or switch between the three, I don't know.

RPM Board:
inlet °F: ?
EGT °F: exhaust gas temp gauge?
Fuel Gals: regular fuel gauge, blinks when it's low
oil °F: oil temp, I've seen this on cars before
oil PSI: oil pressure gauge, I never really notice this
fuel flow gph: mileage gauge, fuel consumption; mpg meter

Program / PANP board
VDC: volts DC generated - accessory/cigarette lighter indicator?
AMP: ?
Aux power: is there an aux power port in the car somewhere?
program no.: random I guess on the show, perhaps I could display the track # for the CD or mp3 here, or sound clip #?
attack, sust, delay, del: no idea what they did on-screen or would do in real life
PANP indicators: power, auto cruise, normal cruise, pursuit mode indicators, that appeared to be buttons in the show, but in replicas are simply indicators. I could get by with them being indicators, and simply displaying if I'm in cruise control (auto) or not (normal), or speeding (over 65MPH - pursuit mode).

Voicebox: on show, always steady; perhaps one of the replica vendors could customize it?
Alt, Aux - no idea
Oil Press, Sat Comm - oil pressure warning light; sirius satellite radio indicator perhaps?
Oil Temp, Acc - oil temp warning light; accessory warning light for too much power draw perhaps?
Egt, Radar - egt warning light; radar detector warning light
Fuel, MPI - fuel warning light; multi-port injection warning light

yellow light things above each gauge: the gauge is on and working correctly; blinking it needs repair

Overhead console numbers: no idea in-show, possibly use as internal/external temperature gauge or a clock/date display. In Knight of the Drones (1&2), at 1:05:28, there are 2 green digits and the rest are red, but here, all red. Anyone else with a season 3/4 interior who made that upper console functional? What functions did you assign it?

I'm probably over-thinking this, but I'm just trying to get an idea of what the dashboard would actually do for me (aside from looking awesome) on a daily basis. Has anyone else overthought this like I have? And how have you in your replicas taken care of the basic car functions, like cruise control, windshield wipers and spray, turn signals, A/C and heat controls and vents, defrost front and rear, trunk release, parking brake, warning light, a clock, power windows and locks, etc?

For those with center consoles with all those colored lights and other buttons, have you made them functional? And your switchpods? What about your display? Does it do anything, such as GPS, display video files, etc?