KI3T's Miraculous Healing

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

goldbug
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: KI3T's Miraculous Healing

Post by goldbug » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:28 am

HisNameisGarth wrote:Sure, its escapist entertainment.... But there are limits -- you have to at least
believe some of these things are possible. The truck thing still doesn't make sense.
Neither does a fully functional AI in 2008 that is able to understand and even express emotions - yet I accept it for the premise of the show just as I accepted a fully functional (and snarky) AI in 1984. The entire premise of the show violated known science back in the 80's, so by extension, this sequel series gets the same pass from me.

I have seen people argue that they believe in "the power of computing" and that's why the AI is "ok" while the transformations are not. However, to me, they both represent the same thing: technologies that do not exist in the forms that we are portrayed in the TV show. Sci-fi is partly about what "can be" and not "what is", hence I buy the transformations (as wacky as they are) since it's a conceit the show has presented along with all it's other high tech gadgets.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:47 am

My_Friend_KITT wrote:I was pondering a fanfic and couldn't answer:
"How did KI3T become totally repaired in that ditch?"
The nanotech repaired what parts were damaged. I think (as speculated above) that KI3T's form is mostly malleable nanotech, and not more modular parts to be installed like in a real life car. It wasn't a matter of installing new parts, it was a matter of parts being regenerated/fixed.

I am glad KI3T did not look perfect when he picked up Mike. He was dirty and gritty looking as he should have been.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Post by BlueChaos » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:43 pm

goldbug wrote:
My_Friend_KITT wrote:I was pondering a fanfic and couldn't answer:
"How did KI3T become totally repaired in that ditch?"
I am glad KI3T did not look perfect when he picked up Mike. He was dirty and gritty looking as he should have been.
And he was not fully functional too.
I think the nanoskin could only repair the exterior, but I might be wrong. In Hard Day's Knight, KITT's EMP got broken after being repeatedly shot by the machine gun and he couldn't do anything about it. But in the latest episode, KITT gradually fixed his internal systems, it being shown with his scanning function coming back to life thereafter. So it's a question whether his internal systems (processors and computing functions etc) are made from nanotech too...

Would be fun to see the Turbo Boost being disabled one time when they REALLY need it...
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

K.A.R.D.
Stranger

Post by K.A.R.D. » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:07 pm

My_Friend_KITT wrote:"reprogrammable matter"
What an interesting idea. So the parts for each tranformation are not inside waiting to come out but are actually in a state of flux waiting for the program to initiate it.
Cool! What an interesting idea.
There's something called Claytronics that is of a similar principal to "programmable matter": Claytronics wiki article.

Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:51 pm

K.A.R.D. wrote:
My_Friend_KITT wrote:"reprogrammable matter"
What an interesting idea. So the parts for each tranformation are not inside waiting to come out but are actually in a state of flux waiting for the program to initiate it.
Cool! What an interesting idea.
There's something called Claytronics that is of a similar principal to "programmable matter": Claytronics wiki article.
1. Thank you to the people who can actually conceive my theory and expand on it.

2. Goldbug, thank you for believing in this series as much me. Kinda felt weird being the only one in the begining.

the thing about this KITT, what people take advantage of because of the 82 show, is that KII3T is far more advanced for our time just a KI2T was advanced for his time.

Althought the original KI2T couldnt transform, if you wanna call it that, till the last season, it was still a car with non-existant tech that was available in the 80s. Does anyone here know of a car that can actually converse to you? Can actually drive by itself. Can jump itself 20 feet in the air while driving, can lift itself onto 2 wheels without the need of a ramp?

NO.

KI2T was super advanced for his time, doing things cars still cant do as of today.
Which is why KI3T has to be super=advanced for this day in age.
Just like GST said from the begining with his kids watching the pilot episode..."our car talks to us, so what."
They have to take this car far past what is avaliable to us today, or else any wouldnt be KR. and to the people who say the transformations dont belong.....that was the natural evoltion of the original KI2T, as it was shown in season 4 that he could "reconfigure" his parts to create a "SPM". Why wouldnt they keep trying to perfect that ability, know that the camefloug (im drunk so i cant spell correctly) is something keeded to perform certain missions. You cant truelu believe that after all those missions that the 82 M Knight and KI2T had, that people is the order of doing bad stuff, wouldnt realize the same stupid black trans-am started show up whenever there was "trouble in town." It's a step that had to be done, especialy in this day in age, a black mustang would would be noticed, hell, even if ki2t had retained just the color transformation from the pilot, eventuallu someone would notice that a mustang, no matter which color it was using, was tailing them......
You have to make sure all tracks are covered, so as to not give away what is probably the most advanced tech of it's day......
"Michael, I agree with your earlier assessment, back-up plans suck."- KI3T
Put the word out!
WATCH THE SHOW!!!: Wed at 8:00pm on NBC.
Its getting better and gaining ratings, AWESOME!!

WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit

Post by WIBoomer1 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:36 am

I think that KI3T's nanotechnology is in everything, tires, engine components, seats, etc . In order to change, KI3T must control each nano to begin the transformation. We've seen KI3T short-circuit, smoke pouring from the hood, and he didn't change shape at that time. IF KI3T was arrangeable matter, and there was no power to the nanos, then he might have just melted into a mass black blob. The writers could say that once the transformation is complete, the nanos are locked into form unless a transforming command is activated.

One way to look at it, when KI3T transforms from the Mustang form into the F150...the diameter of the tires have to change...there's no different tires that come from inside the vehicle to become the truck tires...and then vise versa, does this mean that in Mustang form, does this mean that KI3T has 4 wheel drive? :!:

Yes, it's TV, so any explanation will make it plausible. :D

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:34 pm

Sorry to ressurect an old thread...but I was reading through this.
Faithful Car KRO wrote:KI2T was super advanced for his time, doing things cars still cant do as of today.
Which is why KI3T has to be super=advanced for this day in age.
I agree. I personally love KI3T's tech abilities and would like to see more of them - they're a major strength, but they can also be a weakness (he's been hacked into before) and I think that his tech makes for interesting plot devices. Plus, I'm a sucker for geeky stuff like that, so I eat it all up. Today's generation will do the same.
HisNameIsGarth wrote: The F-150 just can't be explained. It makes no sense.
If they had selected a short wheelbase F-150, it was within reason.

But a Shelby Mustang morphing into an Quad Cab F-150 -- considering the mass difference is rough 2000 lbs....
There is really no logical explanation.
Yeah, it doesn't seem right, but I always figured that KI3T had a variable chassis under the nanotech. Remember one of the first episodes where KI3T runs over a land mine while he's transforming and gets heavily damaged? I think that in addition to the nanoskin tech, his chassis actually can change length, providing a larger wheelbase. (I think he's got a static chassis, without nanotech - perhaps the nanotech skins it for protection.) I mean, I could be wrong...but it made sense at the time.
WiiBoomer1 wrote:I think that KI3T's nanotechnology is in everything, tires, engine components, seats, etc . In order to change, KI3T must control each nano to begin the transformation. We've seen KI3T short-circuit, smoke pouring from the hood, and he didn't change shape at that time. IF KI3T was arrangeable matter, and there was no power to the nanos, then he might have just melted into a mass black blob. The writers could say that once the transformation is complete, the nanos are locked into form unless a transforming command is activated.
I agree with this. KI3T isn't always in a state of flux. He has a default form, and I believe that when the AI is running, it constantly monitors his "health" - basically, the arrangement of the nanotech. Any anomalies will be corrected in real-time. When he's offline, these checks aren't performed, so no damage control is done.
One way to look at it, when KI3T transforms from the Mustang form into the F150...the diameter of the tires have to change...there's no different tires that come from inside the vehicle to become the truck tires...and then vise versa, does this mean that in Mustang form, does this mean that KI3T has 4 wheel drive? :!:
I always figured he did. Four-wheel drive isn't a rare thing, and in a machine like KI3T, I'm sure it's default. A lot of the issues with 4WD stem from configuration - balancing engine output between the front and rear wheels. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-wheel_drive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) (Less output to the front yields better steering, if I remember correctly.) However, since KI3T is an AI, I'm sure he controls these functions on the fly - meaning that there'd be no drawback to having the feature. I'm pretty sure that he'd have pretty advanced traction control, and perhaps even active suspension... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_suspension" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

It's cool because you have a performance car of this quality, which under normal circumstances wouldn't really be feasible....but add in AI and you're pretty much set. So cool. So cool.
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:06 pm

trissybabes wrote:Nanotech, at a guess.
Yep Nanotech is supposed to have the ability to repair itself in fact is supposed to be able in theory to repair organic tissue as well which is why a lot of the current nanotech research is focused on possible medical applications.

trissybabes
FLAG Recruit

Post by trissybabes » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:47 am

HisNameisGarth wrote:Sure, its escapist entertainment.... But there are limits -- you have to at least
believe some of these things are possible. The truck thing still doesn't make sense.

The original show didn't violate physics as badly -- it lasted 4 seasons. If they
keep jumping off the deep end, they risk losing viewers.
Hmm, reckon I'll have a go at driving across the river on the way home - or even that lava field on the way to Aunt Mabel's tonight then.

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:59 pm

Triss, how did it go that night? Did you make it home safely? I hear that traffic on the lava fields is a real killer after 5 PM.

:P
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:53 pm

I'm always careful when I drive, sometimes those lava fields can sneak up on a person. Must be the sulfur fumes...

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:42 pm

You should try jumping the river instead of driving over it.. it's fun. ;)
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:59 pm

Ooo! Good idea! Bridges are for chumps that want to pay for tolls. >_>

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:47 pm

KITT should be in the olympics.......