As corny as it sometimes was....

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

tharpdevenport
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

As corny as it sometimes was....

Post by tharpdevenport » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:08 pm

There's no denying that the show was a product of the 80's. The style, the hair, the music, the general "feel".

But for any cheesey line K.I.T.T. may have said, there are is a serious, dramatic moment to counter it.

While recently viewing the show on the free preview channel, Sleuth, I have noticed the real drama the show presented in some instances.

A clear example was an episode where these people wre using a girl from prisoner to be trianed to get passed sercurity somewhere. In the episode where a guard is leading her back to her cell, she asks what happened to her cell mate and the guard gets into this story about how she was beaten to death.

Then I rememebered other sequesces, like where K.I.T.T. is dropped into, I think, a pit of like acid at a junk yard. While sinking into it, he's crying out for Michael to help him. That was terrible. :cry:

I'm sure you can all name one yourself.
And when things appeared to get better, they got worse, and everyday was a day to cry.

HungarianKnight
FLAG Recruit

Post by HungarianKnight » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:17 am

Some months ago, I wrote an online mini-essay detailing the emotional and "human" side of Knight Rider. I don't remember the whole of it, but you have really caught the meaning of it. You see, Kitt is a character of development. In the first season, he's so childish. Remember when he asked about the "programmer" of the Holy Bible? Later on, both Kitt and the series as well started a development. The plot lines became more and more serious. Season Two presented Race for Life, probably the most serious and "adult" episode in the whole series. The worth of life is shown for the first time, a lesson we shuld listen to and never, never forget.

Later on, we saw the upcoming of Knight of the Drones. Characters are tested of their loyalty and frendship towards each other. Bonnie must choose between her mind (career) and heart (FLAG). Kitt truly demonstrates his living purpouse by catapulting Michael out of the passenger compartment.

Junk Yard Dog took both us and the FLAG crew with a shock. Yes, it is a good lesson of mortality. Kitt truly dies. Not just being damaged, not system malfunctions, no, Kitt dies a death without true reason. As he's rescurrected, no wonder he wants to ward off pain and responsibility. A lesson is teached by Michael not just to Kitt but to him, a lesson of life about the baptism by fire.

FLAG's life came to a turning point with Knight of the Juggernaut. Now all of the characters must face a challenge. We learn that the outer appearance doesn't matter (RC's ghetto pit crew), that prejudices can be worked down (Jennifer Knight and even Michael as well) and even if they are superheroes without costumes and capes, they're still humans with human hopes, fears and weaknesses.

Yes, Knight Rider was the child of the 80's. It was a series of humour and action, but we should not forget the messages listed above.

Modo
Volunteer

Post by Modo » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:13 pm

I agree with the 2nd post in full.

AusKnight2K
Operative

Re: As corny as it sometimes was....

Post by AusKnight2K » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:45 am

Totally and whole heartedly agree with you there! :D
tharpdevenport wrote: Then I rememebered other sequesces, like where K.I.T.T. is dropped into, I think, a pit of like acid at a junk yard. While sinking into it, he's crying out for Michael to help him. That was terrible. :cry:
That scene was from Junk Yard Dog.

What was truly inspirational and uplifting for me was after this happened, Michael says to Bonnie very confidently about recreating KITT:
"We'll do it, whatever it takes, we'll do it".

Also the part after they they rebuilt KITT, he was going around that test track with the witches cones:
Michael: very good, very, very good
KITT: Nice to have you back at the controls, Michael
Michael: It's nice to be here, partner, it's very nice to be here
Micheal: Whoa, we are back, WOO!

And later in the junk yard after turbo boosting:
Michael: Whoa, welcome back, buddy, welcome back
KITT: I must admit, this is a good feeling Michael

Pure magic :D :D :D

black knight2000
Operative

Post by black knight2000 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:05 am

i love it hard core
allways loved knight rider

knight rider uk
Rookie
Location: somewhere over the rainbow way up high theres the one that i dream of once in a lulleby.

Post by knight rider uk » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:38 pm

for for drama that tugs at the heart strings, you have to look no further then the all time classic epsiode"the scent of roses"
I knew when i first saw you, how could i not adore you,you kissed away my tears and washed away my pain-and now the sun is riseing