Something to think about...

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Zoom7000
Volunteer

Something to think about...

Post by Zoom7000 » Thu Jan 16, 2003 3:52 pm

I know almost everyone here absolutely adores Knight Rider. I, for one think its one of the best TV Shows EVER! However, a topic I read at another forum made me think. The topic was called "TV Shows that died before their time" Knight Rider ran for a successful 4 seasons. But imagine it was still on today, newer and newer episodes. Kinda like a soap opera. Do you think we'd be here at this forum today discussing Knight Rider in such detail. Or are we just here because we don't get Knight Rider anymore. I know many of the US folk are getting re-showings on Sci-Fi. Which is just great, but would we act differently towards Knight Rider if it were still on to this day?

Zoom7000

WannaBKnight
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by WannaBKnight » Thu Jan 16, 2003 4:14 pm

Would we be here? And would we have forums? I think so. The topics would obviously be different. There is a forum for just about every TV show past and present, you just have to know where to look.

Now the issue of wether KR would still be on today, I doubt it. KR couldn't have lasted much longer than it did, even if it had the fan base. Allot of different variables would have been the demise of the show, besides the ones that did put it to a close. Quite frankly, and this isn't a put down, we as fans would have eventualy gotten sick of it. It was already aparent that the writers, during the fourth and final season, were grasping at straws. It would have gotten to the point that the story lines would have gotten stale and dry, and the show would have lost even more viewers. People tend to remember the bad, and forget the good, and most people would just recall "that last bad season". Sometimes great shows are destend to burn out and sometimes it seems like it was before there time.

As much as we hated to see it, it was time for KRs end as we knew it. But now we have much more to look forward to. It's back in syndication, we have a game, and finaly, hopefully a great movie. If KR had lasted another season or two, it might have been overkill, and we wouldn't have anything at all.

I'm probably going to getted flamed for this, but think about it. If KR lasted any longer, things would be allot different now.

Marcus

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Jan 16, 2003 4:37 pm

WannaBKnight wrote: I'm probably going to getted flamed for this, but think about it. If KR lasted any longer, things would be allot different now.
You won't get any flames from me. Was I disappointed when I heard that Knight Rider wasn't renewed? Yes. But even back then I knew that it had run its course. The structure of the show sort of limited how much they could do with it. Most of TVs longest-running shows have large casts where you can have lots of different character interactions and storylines for many years. With Knight Rider, we essentially have a kiddie show with just one human lead. It shined very brightly during those 4 years, but without making fundamental changes to the show it didn't have anywhere to go.

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Thu Jan 16, 2003 5:10 pm

Now you know why the fans hate Sci-Fi for canceling "Farscape". It is a show, much like "Knight Rider" that is ahead of its time, being killed off before ti can even get a chance to close. "Farscape" is a science fiction soap opera that is addictive.
Last edited by CB2001 on Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Jan 16, 2003 5:55 pm

CB2001 wrote:Now you know why the fans hate Sci-Fi for canceling "Farscape". It is a show, much like "Knight Rider" that is ahead of its time, being killed off before ti can even get a chance to close.
Not sure I can agree with that. I wouldn't say Knight Rider was ahead of its time; one of the reasons it was so successful was because it was PERFECT for its time. Car chases were in vogue, and people were starting to fall in love with the computer, so why not combine the two? It was a great reflection of the times.

Mike

WannaBKnight
Rookie

Post by WannaBKnight » Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:32 pm

This comparison has probably been beat to death, so please excuse me for useing it this time.

Star Trek was another show that was before it's time. But because of the technology of the time, the plots and story lines could only go so far. Then 20 years later we got TNG. That started all over again with a series of movies, that began with ST The Motion Picture. KR now has an oportunity to do the same thing. But just like ST, Gene Rodenberry and Paramount Pictures, David H. , Glenn Larson, and Revalution have to produce something pivital and true to the origanal series.

WannaBKnight
Rookie

Post by WannaBKnight » Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:33 pm

I think it was before it's time. But not because of what it had going for it, but what it couldn't have going for it, then.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:39 pm

I'd argue that technology doesn't determine whether or not a show is ahead of its time. Star Trek does fall into that category, but more for the themes than the special effects. Space travel? What's that? We're barely putting people in orbit. A Russian on the bridge?! Are you mad?! An inter-racial kiss?!! Imagine making a TV show today about an Iraqi police detective, that's almost what Trek was doing.

Star Trek was so different than anything else on TV at the time, so people weren't sure what to think about it. We were ready for Knight Rider in '82, and we're ready for a movie now. I said it before and I'll stick by it: Knight Rider was not groundbreaking 20 years ago, and I don't expect the movie to be groundbreaking either. But I DO expect it to be exciting and an incredible amount of fun, as was the original.

Mike

WannaBKnight
Rookie

Post by WannaBKnight » Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:48 pm

I do agree with you, 100%. I should have been more clear as to what I meant by before it's time. NBC didn't want to pay for the costs to produce the show. And there were no cheaper ways to do it. Now we have effective, and effecent special effects though CGI, and other methods.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Jan 16, 2003 7:12 pm

That's definitely a good point... if they could have told the same stories for less money, Trek (and KR) could have lasted longer. But at some point ratings vs. cost comes into play.

Mike

WannaBKnight
Rookie

Post by WannaBKnight » Thu Jan 16, 2003 7:30 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:That's definitely a good point... if they could have told the same stories for less money, Trek (and KR) could have lasted longer. But at some point ratings vs. cost comes into play.

Mike
And sadly both were the case for KR. I think the "Soap Opera" fan base that followed David H. from The Young and the Restless days, started to peter out,and the kids were starting to get bored with it. I'll be honest,at 10 yrs old, I think I started to lose interest in it. Only to get into it again in local syndication a few years later.

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Sat Jan 18, 2003 5:05 am

David H actually said in an interview once that the original KR show started getting silly and they had gone as far as they could with it.

And in truth...that super purshuit mode was pretty silly. I'd hate to think what they would have done to Kitt if the show had continued.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KITTvsKARR
Operative

Post by KITTvsKARR » Sat Jan 25, 2003 6:07 pm

I dunno.. it may have been silly.. but I thought it was cool. To be able to push a button and alter the appearance of the vehicle and to be able to achieve what they did. Almost like with Viper.. he hit a button and the RT10 changed into the defender... another show I loved... anyway.. just my $.02.
-Geno
1985 Blue Camaro
1985 Brown Firebird
1988 Blue Formula
2002 Black Trans Am WS6

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Sat Jan 25, 2003 6:31 pm

I would argue that Knight Rider is timeless, which is why it fit the 80's so well. By the same approach, it should fit equally as well today, if administered well. Human nature always has a need for a larger-than-life hero, and Knight Rider mixes the pattern of "romance" fiction that Chaucer, and later, Tolkien made so popular(it's waaaayyyy different from what we call romance today)with a sort of epic feel. (Lord of the Rings was not a true epic, according to scholars. Beowulf is an epic, along with the Odyssey.) The technology for KR was definitely ahead of its time, but the underlying concepts and themes weren't at all.

DK

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sat Jan 25, 2003 9:51 pm

Wow, there's a generous adjective to describe Knight Rider... epic? Larson was capable of epic story-telling, and Battlestar Galactica had that feel, but Knight Rider? I don't see it.

If a show/movie/story fits a decade really well, then it probably is NOT timeless. Watching it brings you back to that era. "It's a Wonderful Life" is timeless because you can show it exactly as-is and it still a very effective story. In order for Knight Rider to be successful as a movie, I think they HAVE to update it.

Mike

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Sun Jan 26, 2003 11:56 am

Rockatteer wrote:David H actually said in an interview once that the original KR show started getting silly and they had gone as far as they could with it.

And in truth...that super purshuit mode was pretty silly. I'd hate to think what they would have done to Kitt if the show had continued.

Though i don't agree SPM was silly...i do agree with your last statement i would hate to see what they would have done...SPM was a little diffrent..but anything else would be just tacky...i mean what could of they done....made him fly??? where would the fun be of a car chase....(hmmmm) chocs away KITT lol

K.I.T.T

KITTvsKARR
Operative

Post by KITTvsKARR » Sun Jan 26, 2003 11:59 am

Well, remember they also made him convertable!! That was kewl, even though the whole back appearing out of nowhere always confused me.. but still.. you have to admit, it was nice looking..... now where can I dig up 250,000 to make my T/A into a T-Top convertable.. hmm.... lol.
-Geno
1985 Blue Camaro
1985 Brown Firebird
1988 Blue Formula
2002 Black Trans Am WS6

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Sun Jan 26, 2003 12:09 pm

Too true!!! i LOVED the convertable!!!...but i feel the same as u...those bits on the back just were stupid!! but yet that escaped my eyes when i was younger....

I think they really exhausted lots of efforts in season 4 my thoughts of season 4 are, KITT looked his total best with 2 different looks as well as his normal appearance he has spm and topless!!

If i could have my kitt he would be a convertable!!...without thoise strips on the back lol

K.I.T.T

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:18 pm

My 6 year old son loves SPM. Of all the KR episodes...the SPM ones are his faverites.

His eyes light up everytime Micheal says "Super Pursuite mode Kitt!" :)

I think its the "transformation" scene that does it actually.... it kinda builds up to the "launch" to high speed.

Has that low turbine type noise that gets higher pitched as the air foils and things come out of Kitt and just builds up tension, excitement, expectations...what ever... and then WHAM! your almost pushed back your seats as Kitt shoots off at super speed.

I said in an earlier post the SPM was silly... It was...but it still makes the hair on my scelp stand up with excitement when I watch the transformation to SPM.

:)
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;