K.I.T.T vs. K.A.R.R episode

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

NightmareDemon
Volunteer

K.I.T.T vs. K.A.R.R episode

Post by NightmareDemon » Sun Dec 29, 2002 2:38 am

I don't know if this has already been asked, but in this episode, what is the deal with KARR starting out just like KITT, but later on in the show KARR's color turns back to his old self.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by knightimmortal » Sun Dec 29, 2002 2:51 am

Um, what are you talking about?

In Trust Doesn't Rust, (the first episode with KARR), KARR and KITT are identical to each other. He goes off the cliff. When he comes back in this one, his scanner is yellow, and he later on asks to have his exterior changed so he doesn't look like KITT, and then he becomes the two toned car.

KI

NightmareDemon
Volunteer

Post by NightmareDemon » Sun Dec 29, 2002 3:08 am

hmm, i always thought he was two toned like he is in kitt vs karr, maybe i guess i'm wrong, i haven't seen the episodes in years. I'm watching kitt vs karr now, and i don't remember hearing karr ask to be painted a different color.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sun Dec 29, 2002 3:11 am

He was not always two toned.

And you could be watching a syndicated version of KR, where that scene is cut out.

KI

knightman
Operative

Post by knightman » Sun Dec 29, 2002 4:28 am

the scene i think is when john? the guy who finds karr at the beach with
his girlfrined and tow it back to his shed, karr wanted to alter his apearance
I hopethat was the right scene

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Sun Dec 29, 2002 7:23 am

The final act in KITTvsKARR after KARR has exploded and he is in million peaces shows that KARR's damaged front nose is all black again :/

That episode was here in Finland just few weeks ago uncutted version and there was really that scene when KARR asked John to change his look so he wouldn't look just like KITT anymore.

As for KARR's yellow scanner, I always thought that 2 years in salt water would've coused that, his alphacircuits where also in bad condition and he was leaking some turbinefluid which KITT noticed when they came to check out where KARR came from.

After all, KvsK is one of my most favourite episodes :)

-KITTfan-

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Matthew » Sun Dec 29, 2002 6:40 pm

I also think like you KITTfan when it comes to KARR's scanner. Its the only thing that would make sense really. But then again if continuity had been a big thing the producers would have dug out one of the first season roof control panels that was big and bulky, rather than the smaller more stylish one that was used from season 2 onwards. Whichever way its looked at, i always think of KARR as always being like he appeared in the begining of KITT Vs KARR except for with a red scanner, coz KARR felt like he was his own car in that episode rather than KITT with a rather cheap mocked up voice modulater like in his first appearence. I'm just glad that the producers gave KITT his cool voice modulater shortly after Trust Does'nt Rust, coz the red box really dint have alot of character to it in my opinion.

From Matthew
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sun Dec 29, 2002 6:56 pm

Most of us in the past have theorized that it is not just the salt water that 'bleached' KARR's scanner, but seeing as where he washed up, the sun and other elements as well that caused his scanner to go yellow.

Otherwise, yeah, the continuity stank pretty bad.

KI

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Sun Dec 29, 2002 9:55 pm

I always thought that the writers might have wised up because isn't it revealed in 'Trust doen't rust' that Kitt and Karr use two different scanning methods. We all know that kitt uses IR (infra-red), hence the red scanner light, but doesn't karr use something else. He talk an awfull lot about kitt picking up his sonar. Maybe sonar scanners are suppossed to be yellow. Who knows. Just one of those questions for the ages like why bad jedi's use red light sabers and good jedi's don't.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sun Dec 29, 2002 10:00 pm

Except that KITT and KARR were meant to be identical in almost every way, they just had the same personalities.

It was just a giant snafu.

KI

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Matthew » Mon Dec 30, 2002 8:27 pm

The only other idea i thought about at length was that the producers just decided to throw continuity out the window, and make KARR's scanner the same colour as his voice modulator. For a long time i thought KARR's voice modulator was green in KITT Vs KARR, but recently i've come to the conclusion that its a sort of yellow colour. I actually sat and watched the episode after my post last night, and both the scanner and the voice modulator look to be kind of the same colour to me.
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Dec 30, 2002 9:11 pm

That would most likely be the real reasoning for it. If we went for real explanation reasoning for everything, the conversation would be rather dull. ;)

And it is yellow. Amber, actually.

KI

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Tue Dec 31, 2002 8:17 pm

Not to mention Kitt also had sonar. A specific example was when He was scanning the Sub's location in Goliath Returns when Garth and Adrinne were gonna meet and turn Dr Berkstrem over to a foreign government.

Meccy
Recruit

Post by Meccy » Wed Jan 01, 2003 8:14 pm

So can someone please explain how in Trust doesn`t rust KARR went over the cliff and by all instense was destroyed can he come back in a furture episode when he has already previously been destroyed, Isn`t that a bit like raised the dead?

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Jan 02, 2003 12:21 am

Ok, let's see if I can pull this from the ol' memory here.

KARR didn't die going off the cliff. We never saw him destroyed, and seemingly the Foundation never checked. (They do these things, just like at the end of KvK, they just seem to leave the parts of KARR out in the river bed.) The explosion we saw at the end of Trust Doesn't Rust has been theorized as KARR's one last effort to blast his retro rockets to slow his fall. He just fell into the water, drifted back on the beach, and remained there until they found him.

KI

Meccy
Recruit

Post by Meccy » Thu Jan 02, 2003 1:00 am

Thats a very interesting theory, but how do you explain the change in scanner on KARR?

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Jan 02, 2003 1:11 am

Read above.

Help us preserve the board, please, and read the above responses.

Thanks in advance.

KI

Meccy
Recruit

Post by Meccy » Thu Jan 02, 2003 11:09 pm

Appologies KI