help deciding to buy a kitt donor...

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

bzavala
Recruit

help deciding to buy a kitt donor...

Post by bzavala » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:54 pm

Hi all...

I'm kinda new here but I've been reading the board for a while; I saw the other thread about some members having Kitt replicas :cool:

Well.. I've always wanted to have a KITT... I was planning to start searching and get a Trans Am next year, but just last week, I saw a blue 1988 Firebird (automatic 8 cilinder) in great shape (no dents, etc) with very low milage: only 62K miles (checked with Carfax and is clean). Best thing is the price I guess... the guy is asking $3,000 but I can probably bring it even down, to like $2,500. He bought about 6 months ago and drives it everyday to his work; so I'm assuming the engine is fairly OK... (he says he's planning to get a pick up now, that's why he's selling it).

So..... anyways.. .if I get it, I plan to paint it black and then start the works to get some close replica... so my question is.. what do you guys think? Think the price is OK? the year, is it OK? can I still do a good conversion with this year? Ah.. this is not a Trans Am, but it's like the base model of the Firebirds. Still 8 cilinder... Another thing: this one doesn't have T-tops.... but I really don't care much; I already have a 2000 Black Firebird with T-tops :D

TIA :)

Ben :cool:

PS: Sorry.. don't have pictures....

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Army_F_Body » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:57 am

I started with a white hardtop 1992 W68 Firebird.

Took a lot of hard work to make it like an 82, but it can be done.

I had to remove the stock GFX, swap the front fenders and rear bumper, then add the 82 specific trim such as the correct door moldings and rear flares.

I'm starting to add the 82 specific interior pieces this weekend. Got the correct 82-84 style center console, making it fit will be fun, now that I know how it's done I'm not to worried. Next I gotta replace the shifter mechanism for the older style, I've heard late model 3rd gen Camaros will work also, so I can use the round shifter knob I've got.

Be prepared for a lot of headaches making the older stuff fit. Don't become too preoccupied with it and you'll have fun :) !
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

STAR KNIGHT
Stranger

Post by STAR KNIGHT » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:17 am

Sounds like a good deal. Though if you really want to paint soon, you should score your "nose". Having a nose fitted to a front end after painting the car can be touchy. The hard top deal ain't bad, you can fake the T-look with rubber stripping-or just have it converted(now that's a little hard on the buck).

Good Luck! :lol:

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:48 pm

I'd get it if I were you. Good price. Though be certain there aren't any hidden mechanical problems that can run you lots of bucks. Sometimes people might say they are getting a different style vehicle when in reality they are getting rid of a maintenance disaster. But at that mileage, it seems like it might be pretty stable. Would he let you take it for a test drive? If so, do so and then check underneath and under the hood for leaks, etc.

But yeah, from what you post it *does* sound like a great doner car. When you find those, you don't want to pass them up! :)

bzavala
Recruit

Post by bzavala » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:02 pm

Thanks guys... I did test drove it last week when I saw it, and felt OK. Didn't check for any leaks though...

Well, I called up the guy today and came up to the final price of $2500 so I think it's a good deal.... I will pick it up on Friday. I hope it's not a maintenance nightmare :/ :) Anyways it won't be my primary car!

I will take pics of it when I pick it up. For now, I'll leave you these pics I found from similar cars (same color/model)

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:25 pm

Very Nice! In addition to what Army was saying, you'll also want to change that spoiler, since KITT's didn't "wrap" like the one on this model car. That is, if your particular car has one of those like the first & second pictures show. If it's like the other photos you posted, then it should be ok as that is closer to KITT's spoiler.

Good luck finding the turbo cast rims and bowling ball hubcaps. I hear they are hard-to-find.

I do say that you have your work cut out for you and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :)

Best of luck and congrats! :)

Knight Girl
Operative

Post by Knight Girl » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:43 pm

Congratulations!!!! I know it will be fun to convert it. I think when the time comes, I'll buy a replics instead of doing it myself because I'm retarded when it comes to stuff like that. My expertise is teaching first graders all day. LOL

The firebird I saw was a 92 and they asked $2,000 and it was already black. I called hagerty insurance and they won't insure the car until it was a Kitt so that is another reason why i would buy a replica already done.

Good luck with the conversation and post pics of progress. :)

Becky

bzavala
Recruit

Post by bzavala » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:42 pm

Thanks all...

I wonder why they wouldn't insure it... I called my agent today and quoted me additional $200 for every 6 months, but I'll probably shop around more to find a better price... :)

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:23 pm

bzavala, remember to post pics of ur car when u get a hold of it personally. i also intend to go the same route as urself and buy a donor car to do it up myself. it may take years but it'll be so worth it and i can't think of a better hobby, eh? ;) :D :D
"If you're not having a good time, you're doing something wrong." Harrison Black, War Of The Worlds (tv series)

R.J.1984
Operative

Post by R.J.1984 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:27 pm

This Saturday I am taking my car out of the compund that I put it in. It isn't going to cost me a thing. As soon as I can I will take pictures of how it looks now and let everyone here see them. It don't look the greatest but I am supreemly confident that I will be able to get it fixed up and saftey it to get it on the road. I may be lucky enough to have the pictures posted within a week. I'll be sure to keep you all informed. 8)

Knight Girl
Operative

Post by Knight Girl » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:08 pm

A regular insurance company would insure but I would have to pay monthly like it was a daily driver and I didn't want to insure it that way because it would only be for occasional use and shows. Hagerty Insurance is for classics or show cars mostly. I have Herbie insured for only $75 a year. Hagerty said they would insure Kitt but they needed proof he was already converted to a Kitt before they insured him and he would be around $250 a year.

Becky

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:27 pm

that's a fantastic price, but what guarantee do they have that ur not driving him more regularly? do they check up on this, and if so how do they...?
"If you're not having a good time, you're doing something wrong." Harrison Black, War Of The Worlds (tv series)

bzavala
Recruit

Post by bzavala » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:16 am

yeah.. I'll post pics once I get it :) most likely over the weekend :D

Well, the conversion will not start anywhere soon :( but there's no rush :)

kitt-x
Rookie

Post by kitt-x » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:55 am

I recently switched the insurance on my KITT to Hagerty. They give you the state minimums on liability insurance, but I wanted more protection so I bumped it up. My policy is about $600 for the year.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:49 am

For Kitt (my '87 6000), I have GEICO and my car's also my "daily driver". They do send surveys every couple years that we have to fill out about the car's use, restoration, cost of restoration, etc. - I had to put that Kitt was repainted and an estimate it cost me to do the work, for example. I have normal insurance, not anything special - just the minimums plus emergency road service. I pay only around $162 per year and that's for a 17-yr. old car. I think they also go by what size engine it is and whether you'd be likely to go too fast, etc. Kitt only has a 4-cyl. Iron Duke so they probably don't THINK he goes too fast. Well, I admit he's no racer, but he can kick it when he wants. ;)

Try asking GEICO. They might have a better quote. I don't know if they have "special" classifications for special cars but at least it's auto insurance. :?

Knight Girl
Operative

Post by Knight Girl » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:10 am

4 cylinder? wow, I didn't know they came with smaller engines. I would love to have one with a smaller engine because of gas milage.

Becky

Knight Girl
Operative

Post by Knight Girl » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:13 am

wait, you don't have a transam right? Don't you have another car as a Kitt or is it someone else here that has a different type of car as Kitt. I'm getting senile in my 30's. LOL

Becky

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:50 pm

Firebirds and Camaros also ran the "iron duke" for a few years.

I believe 82-85.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:54 pm

$162 for the year as a regular car, wow. Also, your location is taken into account. Living in New York, I know that even in the same state, more upstate, insurance is much cheaper than it is in more populated suburbian areas like where I live, or near NYC.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:36 pm

wow!! that's amazing!! over here it would be sky high!! a small ford ka for my friend to insure for her first year after passing her test, as a 20 year old back then, was just over £1000!!!

you lucky lucky sods :D ;) LOL!

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:11 pm

Knight Girl wrote:A regular insurance company would insure but I would have to pay monthly like it was a daily driver and I didn't want to insure it that way because it would only be for occasional use and shows. Hagerty Insurance is for classics or show cars mostly. I have Herbie insured for only $75 a year. Hagerty said they would insure Kitt but they needed proof he was already converted to a Kitt before they insured him and he would be around $250 a year.

Becky
Would you get the discount rates on insurance if you have only a exterior replica?
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:15 am

kitt-x wrote:I recently switched the insurance on my KITT to Hagerty. They give you the state minimums on liability insurance, but I wanted more protection so I bumped it up. My policy is about $600 for the year.
I tried to get a quick quote from them and the system wouldn't take my car. Said to qualify it would have to be made in 84 or earlier.

How did you get yours insured, Mike?

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 am

Knight Girl: No I don't have a Trans Am. As stated in the post I have a 1987 Pontiac 6000 :) Click on the "www" button below my post to see pictures of it (The main picture is something what I might want to make it into but more recent pictures are in the Restoration page). It is running on a very strong, well broken-in 4-Tech (4-cylinder) Iron Duke engine. One of the more sturdier and more reliable engines Pontiac made in the 80s. Army is right though, there have been Trans Ams and also especially Fieros with 4-cylinder Dukers in them. Though 4-cyl. T/As weren't all that common.

I named my car "Kitt" after of course K.I.T.T. knowing I could never really afford to get another car right now. Kitt is sturdy and strong for his age. If you see on the site, the front grille does look a little like the old 1977 or 1978 Trans Ams (like the Smokey and the Bandit car) in resemblance. So I affectionately think of Kitt as a kind of "Trans Am Sedan" ;) At least, I think that is what it'd look like if Pontaic built a sedan version of a Trans Am (they were always coupes, 2-doors)). Though if you ever saw the ultra-rare 6000 Landau coupe you'd quickly shoot my idea out the window pretty fast.

I'm making Kitt into a Knighted Ride, and I know one other who is making his 6000 into KARR. :) BTW, for those that were keeping up, KARR was damaged in the hurricanes. I finally heard back from his owner and it sounds like the damage is fixable and might hopefully not take too long to accomplish, thankfully. Will know more if and when I hear more.

I always thought that in New York it was always more expensive to get auto insurance. I'm glad it isn't.

Anyone know how old a car has to be to be considered a "classic"? Kitt will be 18 in March (according to research I did on his VIN #).

kitt-x
Rookie

Post by kitt-x » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:31 am

I just filled out the on-line application after I got my quote, sent pics of my car as well as a link to my site. A representative called me and said she had to put my vehicle in the Exotic/Special Interest category, not the custom category.
The rates were a little bit higher, but they accepted the vehicle and all is good!

How did you classify you vehicle when you filled out the application for a quote? Be sure to choose the Exotic category. You will have to choose your deductible from $250, $500, $1000. The yearly cost goes down if you choose a higher deductible.

I just tried the on-line quote again and didn't get any errors. Not sure what happend with your attempt, Rob. Maybe give them a call directly. Also, I am pretty sure the car has to be finished before they will insure it.

Knight Girl
Operative

Post by Knight Girl » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:14 am

I remember now Fuzzie Dice. I saw pics of your car and they are awesome.

Becky