MBS

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

82TransAm
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

MBS

Post by 82TransAm » Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:43 pm

Ok This may have been discussed to death before, but I am new so why not... ;)

If they have the technology to give KITT a MBS, and KARR, and for that matter even Goliath, Why on earth did they never coat the FLAG semi with it? I mean it most likely would have prevented KARR from smashing through the doors or at least it would have given him a big headache.

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:53 pm

Interesting Observation 82 T/A. Hats off to you! :lol:
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:19 pm

Maybe the FLAG semi had MBS... Lets not forget, KARR was as powerful as KITT... He could have gone through anything..maybe even a MBS vehicle..... In this case, he went through the semi.

Remember, later on, both KITT and KARR collide in mid air... Both were heavily damaged..

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:41 pm

We don't know how expensive the MBS coating is, my guess is that it ain't cheap, even for the Knight Foundation. KITT needed the MBS because he was always going to be on the front lines. It's possible FLAG didn't consider the Semi a primary target, and didn't feel the MBS was necessary. In hindsight, maybe that was a mistake.

For security reasons, FLAG might have wanted to put MBS on the main gates (to slow KARR down in TDR) and even the doors to various office at the Foundation. But at some point it just doesn't become practical.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Knight Industries 3000
Operative

Post by Knight Industries 3000 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:22 pm

imranbecks wrote:He could have gone through anything..maybe even a MBS vehicle..... In this case, he went through the semi.
*cough* Goliath *cough* :wink:

Knightwolf
Volunteer

Post by Knightwolf » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:14 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't KITT lose the MBS in KOTJ? He appears to have gotten it back sometime between KOTJ and Kittnap, but after the end of KOTJ the loss of the MBS is never mentioned again.

Knightwolf

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:24 pm

My response to this is similar to Mike's. Only, I'd add that for reasons of keeping the MBS formula a secret, the Foundation might have wanted to avoid coating EVERYTHING with MBS. After all, the semi was intended as a mobile garage that kept far away from the front lines of the action. Imagine what might happen if Michael had MBS coated clothes and he left some pants somewhere, giving some evil scientist the chance to steal it, reverse engineer the formula and either neutralize it or recreate it for use on anything. As useful as that formula is, it just can't be placed on everything and be given the chance to be lost and/or stolen.

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:45 pm

I wonder if the Molecular Bonded Shell can come in different colors. So that it can look like a normal paint job.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:15 pm

I doubt it. It was a unique formula made from specific chemicals. It's probably a clear liquid.

With a bit of advanced tampering around with it, that could happen in time but it's really a trivial thing which FLAG wouldn't bother experimenting with.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:28 pm

It wld just be cool wouldn't it, if we cld just paint some MBS onto our cars or motorbikes.... It'll be indestructible....

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:00 am

It cant be a clear coating because when Kitt was destroyed in KOTJ he was white before he got the MBS coating again. Also, Goliath was White before the coating.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

KARR Engineer
FLAG Recruit

Post by KARR Engineer » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:04 am

In Goliath you see the technicians spray the MBS, and it's colourless.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:50 pm

exactly, clear..colourless. that was my point.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KARR 2004
Recruit

Post by KARR 2004 » Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:50 pm

Knightwolf wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't KITT lose the MBS in KOTJ? He appears to have gotten it back sometime between KOTJ and Kittnap, but after the end of KOTJ the loss of the MBS is never mentioned again.

Knightwolf
What I always assumed happened was that the MBS was temporarily lost because KITT wasn't rebuilt at FLAG headquarters. Once the team returned to San Francisco, they were able to retore the MBS.

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:06 am

Once the team returned to San Francisco, they were able to retore the MBS.
Or was it Los Angeles?
didn't KITT lose the MBS in KOTJ?[/qupte]The MBS was dissolved by some spray in "Juggernaut", so KITT lost it.
Lets not forget, KARR was as powerful as KITT... He could have gone through anything..maybe even a MBS vehicle.....
As said in "Trust...", it's like an irresistible force coming on an immovable object- nobody knows what happens- and that could have happened if the semi had MBS. Perhaps they didn't coat the back doors.

Anyway, the semi was not a leading vehicle in battle, so they didn't need to coat it. There was no point using that in battle, given the delicate equipment inside, and there was not enough place for weapons, which were needed for battle.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:09 am

Arjun wrote:The MBS was dissolved by some spray in "Juggernaut", so KITT lost it.
Do you know what that sounded like? :lol:

Seriously, I think they might have run out of MBS stuff to do the semi. They had to have some for reserve. :) The Semi was pretty darn big! Oh wait, didn't Goliath also have an MBS? I forgot...

As for the color, I think it'd have to be clear. But then it's a question of, since KARR was gone from FLAG before he changed to his two-tone color (don't know how that happened... I mean, in TDR wasn't he the exact same as KITT?) so if he changed the body color wouldn't he have to also have an MBS? How'd he get that? And too it would have to be clear because if it was black, then either KARR didn't have the MBS or else if he did, only the top half (not the silver part) would be covered.

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:35 am

Do you know what that sounded like?
My mistake. I meant, spray from that truck, probably used for washing cars- though this time, it wasn't water, but a powerful solvent.
Oh wait, didn't Goliath also have an MBS? I forgot...
In part 1 of Goliath (here, that's how it was shown), Garth and Elizabeth stole the formula from Devon and two other scientists (or was it one?) and thus made it.
don't know how that happened... I mean, in TDR wasn't he the exact same as KITT?
If you had seen the full episode, he said that he wanted to alter his appearance. I don't know if paint sticks to MBS.

UKKnightRiderFan
Volunteer

Post by UKKnightRiderFan » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:04 am

What I'd like to know is what the hell the MBS actually consists of, I remember KITT making a reference to it in Bad Day at White Rock but is then interupted before he can tell you what it's made of. Any ideas?

kido
Operative

Post by kido » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:28 pm

I know the MBS has 3 "parts" to it.
Knight Industries Defence One

KARR 2004
Recruit

Post by KARR 2004 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:07 pm

Arjun wrote:Or was it Los Angeles?
It seemed like FLAG worked cases up and down the West Coast. There were several episodes in San Francisco and Los Angeles, as well as other parts of California. There were also several episodes that took place in other states, such as "Knight of the Juggernaut" or "Knight of the Phoenix."

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:56 pm

Arjun wrote:I meant, spray from that truck, probably used for washing cars- though this time, it wasn't water, but a powerful solvent.
Well, KITT kinda did lose it I guess. ;)
Arjun wrote:If you had seen the full episode, he said that he wanted to alter his appearance. I don't know if paint sticks to MBS.
I think I've seen all the episodes in full. But it's so long ago that I forgot a lot of the finer details. I haven't watched KR since the 80s, actually. I'm just refreshing my memory lately with stuff found online. I'll sure be glad when I get ahold of the season DVDs as they come out. :) I don't know if paint would stick to the MBS and what would it do to it? Worse? Uneffective? Kinda interesting to think about...

82TransAm
Recruit

Post by 82TransAm » Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:13 pm

Well we know stickers must stick to it, because he had a Go Army bumper sticker in one episode and in Slamin Sammy's he had all the red white and blue stars on him.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:45 pm

Please don't rice up KITT. :) (Just kiddin' ;) ) Hmm... wonder why they didn't stick a bird on the front hood in one ep.? Would have been cool.

I'm amazed the stickers stood on the car though. With all that he does and stuff...

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:55 am

It seemed like FLAG worked cases up and down the West Coast. There were several episodes in San Francisco and Los Angeles, as well as other parts of California. There were also several episodes that took place in other states, such as "Knight of the Juggernaut" or "Knight of the Phoenix."
Goliath, I hear, was done in Nevada.
Well we know stickers must stick to it, because he had a Go Army bumper sticker in one episode and in Slamin Sammy's he had all the red white and blue stars on him.
In Custom KITT, they stuck fire decals and blowpipes. In Circus Knight, they stuck dynamic decorative lights.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:08 pm

Arjun wrote:In Custom KITT, they stuck fire decals and blowpipes. In Circus Knight, they stuck dynamic decorative lights.
I can't wait until all the season eps are on DVD. That I have to see! LOL! I forgot the list for the 1st season coming out on August though. :(

Sounds like the MBS can handle just about anything, stickers, etc. So I guess you could repaint it any color.