michaels doctor in the pilot,

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

knightman
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

michaels doctor in the pilot,

Post by knightman » Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:41 pm

g'day, just watching the pilot ep again..
is the doctor who takes of michaels bandages the same guy
who was steve austins boss in the six millon dollar man??

ColeGrad01
Operative

Post by ColeGrad01 » Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:53 pm

I don't know the answer to your question cause I haven't seen that many Six Million Dollar Man episodes. And the ones I did see, it was not anytime recently. But since you posted just seeing the pilot episode for KR, I would like to say I saw it my second time as well on sci-fi just now. Last time I watched it, I was at home out for the summer. This time, it was in my college dorm room. Things seem to happen pretty fast when you've seen them before. But the first time you are learning what's going on as it happens. The second time you pick up on details. Now I am positively sure what Michael Long looks like. I remembered it was younger looking than Hasselhoff's face, but not exactly what it was. He looked kind of like MacGyver did back in the mid-80's. I wonder if Larry Anderson is any relation to Richard Dean Anderson. I now know for sure KITT was not made out of Michael Long's car. I saw that Michael thought it was his car, but Devon had him look at the technology and explained it was a model designed to look like it. Some stuff seemed silly due to it being an old 80's show last time I saw this, but this time I didn't care. I now know this is my favorite episode of all. I almost have trouble seeing it as the same show it is in the later seasons. It is cool to see a first episode when you've seen all the later episodes. I was thinking about Garthe when Michael got his new face. And I also thought about KARR when they show KITT the first time, even though I still have not seen either episodes with him. But I may have my chance if they show it next week. Also, as knightimmortal said to me, I now see that Michael was on the road a while before he crashed. He did start feeling groggy before dozing down. I love this episode. I wish I had a blank tape to record it.
Last edited by ColeGrad01 on Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Nov 03, 2003 7:16 pm

You mention Larry Anderson and Richard Dean Anderson... Ironically perhaps, the actor who played the doctor is Richard Anderson, who played Oscar Goldman in The Six Million Dollar Man.

When I see the pilot, I think it's very obvious that KITT was in fact installed in Michael Long's car. It isn't handed to us on a silver platter, but it's pretty close. Not everyone interprets it the same way I do.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

ColeGrad01
Operative

Post by ColeGrad01 » Mon Nov 03, 2003 7:45 pm

I saw Part 1 of the pilot episode today and heard Devon say exactly that KITT only looks like Michael's car. Michael started rambling it was his that was left out in the desert and he was going to leave Wilton's mansion by taking his car along with him. But Devon told him all the engineers coming in and out were making a brand new model that was made to look just like it. In KNIGHTMARES, the newspaper Devon and April show amnesiac Michael says that Michael Long's car was found abandoned in the desert where he got shot. Also, Richard Anderson (doctor from Six Million Dollar Man) and Richard Dean Anderson (Angus MacGyver) are two totally different actors. What MacGyver looked like in the first episode of his show, Michael Long looked like a younger version of. But I know he was played by an actor named Larry Anderson with Hasselhoff's voice dubbed. I was just wondering if he and the guy who played MacGyver had any relation? Probably not. They looked pretty similar.

knightvision
Operative

Post by knightvision » Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:17 pm

Richard Anderson is the father of Richard Dean Anderson. The rule in the screen actors guild is that you can not have the same name for any two people in the SAG so the son added his middle name, just like Micheal J. Fox did when there was another Micheal Fox registered.

As for Anderson the elder, besides being Oscar on the Six Million Dollar Man and the Bionic Women he was also a key Glen Larson player appearing in many of his series. He was asked along with Richard Basehart to appear in the pilot, and gave it some star power.

Richie

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:20 pm

Somebody else can take the Michael Long's car debate if they want.. I don't have the strength now..

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:27 pm

Where did you find this information Richie? I tried doing a search myself, and I couldn't find any connection. According to a website (http://www.rdanderson.com/bio/bio.htm) Richard Dean Anderson's father was named Stuart. And Richard Anderson (according to the ever wrong imdb.com) only has three daughters.

But I agree with you on the SAG and guest star parts.

knightvision
Operative

Post by knightvision » Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:28 pm

When I see the pilot, I think it's very obvious that KITT was in fact installed in Michael Long's car. It isn't handed to us on a silver platter, but it's pretty close. Not everyone interprets it the same way I do.
For all intent purposes Larson confirms this statement. Devon says many things to indicate that the car left in the desert is KITT. When he made the statement that it may look like his car but it is not his car is because it was transformed into KITT from a 82 Pontiac Transam. So essentially the car he knew as his own was not his, but changed and modified by the crew.

It isnt said out loud but like Mike said, it is implied. I interpret Micheal's response to the car as it being his car, just looking "shinier" and "having a baby skin paint job".

Richie

knightvision
Operative

Post by knightvision » Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:32 pm

Neil sorry about that you are right. The whole reason Richard Dean Anderson had to register that way was because of Richard Anderson who already took the name.

Sorry about that. But the SAG issue remains a fact that Dean was added since Richard Anderson was taken.

Richie

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:41 pm

It's okay, it happens. ;) An interesting side note, Michael J. Fox is actually born Michael Andrew Fox, he used J. as a homage to legendary character actor Michael J. Pollard.

Personally, I could debate either way on the original ownership of the car that became KITT, but I'd be willing to just give the creator of the series the benefit of doubt.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:43 pm

Unfortunately, the rest of the series events flush the whole concept out, but if it makes you all feel comfy to think of KITT as Michael Long's car, then do whatever makes your heart feel happy. You just have the rest of the series counteracting it, along with actual logic.

KI

Knicks4973
Operative

Post by Knicks4973 » Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:37 pm

Hi KI. This reply is specifically for you. I wrote this in another thread and I'm not sure if you saw it yet. I'm curious to see what you think of my explanation.

Quote:
Oh, and as for Michael Long's car, while Glen Larson himself has said that KITT was in fact built from Michael Long's car, though general logic, and the fact that KARR exists, from the same model, it becomes impossible for KITT to be built out of Michael Long's car. Since KARR existed first.

Quote:
You can tell just by the way Wilton and Devon were talking about KITT being built that they did not start as soon as they found Michael Long and his car.

I think it's possible, from the above quotes, that KITT could have been built from Micahel's car and still have KARR without rewriting KR history.

We all know KARR is a trans am like KITT. And yet, Glen Larson says KITT was made out of Michael's car. What I think we're all missing is that Wilton Knight wanted Michael for a long time before he was shot. He probably knew what car he drove, which was a trans am, and created KARR in that image. When KARR was put into storage, they started on KITT naturally and when they found Michael in the desert, they used his car as KITT's body. So both of the above statements are indeed correct.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:43 pm

Except by all accounts, Michael was not in total consideration by KARR's time, Ken Franklyn was, (Knight of the Drones) and in addition, Michael Long was driving that year's model of car. KARR was built seemingly long ahead of time, in a more advanced style.

You can't just slap a vehicle like KITT into any old car. Michael Long had just basically bought that Trans-Am within the previous few months. It would have taken a lot longer than the established few months that they went by in the storyline to create KITT. So once again, through logic and general common sense, even if they were stalking Michael Long before hand, it would have been difficult to create KARR in that particular special design, and then to do KITT later on in a car that happened to have the same design. He's not a Lego. You can't just stick him in, you have to have the parts in harmony with the rest.

But once again, if it makes you all feel better to say that it was in Michael Long's car, I am not going to argue. I am just going to go by common sense, and a different interpretation, that if you look at it from a common sense view, you will notice that saying it is Michael Long's car doesn't make much sense.

KI

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:16 pm

It's a really tough one to judge, because at one direction you have to go with the creators intent. Larson said that it was supposed to be Michael's car, and we have to respect that, at least for the pilot. Larson establishes the history, and then writers in the future, when he is no longer involved with the project, chose to re-write history, much like Enterprise is doing now. I agree, it doesn't make sense that KITT is Michael Longs car, even without seeing the episodes to come, because why would a multi-million dollar project use a used car. But the facts presented in the episode as is, can lend itself either way.

comets78
Rookie

Post by comets78 » Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:06 pm

i am confused please try and clear up nightnam's question i think u did but it went else where help me please!

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:20 pm

Somewhere in here is the answer, which was yes. Look at the third post in this thread, Michael Pajaro answered the original question.

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:37 am

I think Karr, being built first, should have been a 2nd gen TA. It would certainlt make him look a liitle meaner :) !
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:12 am

Common sense tells us that there's no way a gang of streetwise mechanics could install a convertible mode into KITT without Bonnie knowing anything about it. But that's what happened.

Similarly, just because it is illogical that KITT would be installed into Michael's car, looking just at the pilot episode, that's what happened. We can call it a nitpick, an inconsistency, or even a stupid plot device, but I for one am not going to ignore it simply because it doesn't make sense.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:41 am

That's your interpretation of what happened, yet if you take the wording of the plot very carefully, there is another interpretation available.

Nobody said to ignore it, Mike, that is your inventiveness calling, but at the same time, you are basically making it sound like we need to forget the alternative.

KI

Dome
Rookie

Post by Dome » Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:47 am

knightvision wrote:Richard Anderson is the father of Richard Dean Anderson. (...)
no kidding?

well Richard Dean Anderson is the actor of MacGywer, isn't it?

by the way while we are writing about MacGywer, does any one know MacGywer's 1st name?

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:41 am

I'm not asking anybody to ignore anything. I just want to make sure that people who share my opinion aren't dismissed as having no common sense.

I am very familiar with the exact wording in Knight of the Phoenix. My interpretation of the episode is not the only interpretation, but it is a legitimate opinion, and it's one that apparently Glen Larson agrees with.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:42 am

Read the whole thread Dome, Richard Anderson is not the father of Richard Dean Anderson.

And I believe MacGyver's (v no w in at least the american spelling) first name is Angus?

ColeGrad01
Operative

Post by ColeGrad01 » Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:02 am

Yes, MacGyver's name is Angus. It is mentioned in the episode GOOD KNIGHT MACGYVER and the final episode THE STRINGER. His son, SAM, had the middle name Angus and Mac tells him that is his first name. The son's real name was Sean Angus Malloy. The last one is where he finds out he has a son he never knew about until he was rescued by him. By the way, I'm sure people on here already know this as well, but both Patricia McPherson and Edward Mulhare had guest roles on MacGyver in 1986 after Knight Rider was cancelled. I didn't see the one with Mulhare, but McPherson is in the one that introduces Jack Dalton (played by Bruce McGill). Now about the car, I can prove it is not Michael's. I always thought it was til I resaw the pilot episode yesterday. When the helicopter picked him up, they just showed it by itself taking Michael to the mansion. There wasn't anything transporting the car. They obviously just left it where it was so people would find it and understand something happened to Michael Long. He would just be presumed dead that way. Click on this link that will show the episode KNIGHTMARES:

http://www.fortunecity.com/lavender/007 ... n2/211.htm

Scroll down to SCRIPT TO SCREEN, and you'll see in the third paragraph that Michael Long is presumed dead because his car was found abandoned in the desert. That's what Devon and April had him read to prove he was no longer his original self. And to explain why he saw an unrecognizable face in the mirror.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:07 am

The "proof" is not as simple as that Jordan. We didn't see them leave a dead body out in the desert for the police to find, but we're told that happened. Their biggest priority would have been to get Michael to a doctor, then they could have sent out a second crew to leave a body and retrieve the car. I doubt the helicopter was flying around with a stolen dead body, just waiting for Michael to be left for dead.

Anything that happens in any other episode is irrelevant to my point here; I fully accept that in later episodes it's pretty clear that Michael Long's car is NOT KITT. What I'm saying is that at the time the pilot episode was written, the intention was that KITT was installed into Michael Long's car. I admit it is a little vague in the actual episode, but the novel, the early script, and Glen Larson himself all support that interpretation.

ColeGrad01
Operative

Post by ColeGrad01 » Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:44 pm

I figure when the pilot episode actually aired, they meant for Michael Long's car to become KITT. But when they made later episodes and developed an evil double for KITT, they decided the regular car and the supercar were two different units. KARR would look like a Pontiac Trans-Am if he were to be an evil version of KITT. Just like Garthe actually has the face Michael was given.