My KI3T Build by M-Tak

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

MTAK
Rookie
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

My KI3T Build by M-Tak

Post by MTAK » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:25 pm

Hi everyone, just a brief intro. as I am finally about to start my KI3T project.

I originally saw Knight Rider 2008 when I was living back in the UK and fell in love with the car. I have always been a knight rider fan since way back in the mid 80's and also been a fan of American muscle car's. The pairing for KITT with a Mustang was perfect for me and if it wasn't for the expense of importing a Mustang in to the UK and then purchasing the parts, I probably would of built a replica by now.
I stumbled upon this forum around the beginning of 2010 and was overwhelmed with how so many of you had worked together to build your versions of KITT. There are many very talented members on this forum and it's truly inspirational.
Anyway, early 2011 my wife, son and I moved to the US. My son (like me) has loved cars since he was a baby and has literally hundreds of them. He started watching Knight Rider about 6 months ago as he saw it on my apple tv.....instantly addicted. He has a small model Mustang GT500 KR (about 10 inches long) in black that he calls KITT and takes everywhere with him.(he is now 4 years old) This was my opening to sweet talk the wife into letting me start my own project, after all this had been a long time coming.
About 6 weeks ago after a lot of searching we finally found the right one for us. It's a 2006 Mustang GT in black with the red leather interior. It has low miles and only one owner. It has a couple of small scratches on the hood and drivers side rear wing but that didn't bother me as the hood will be replaced and the car resprayed.

Parts ordered so far -
Voice Orb - Taoworm
Scanner, Blue dash lights, dimmer - Autoi
Trufiber Venom Hood with hood pin recesses - Stage3 Motorsports

FORD -
1 - Left Side Headlamp Assembly
1 - Right Side Headlamp Assembly
1 - Front Bumper Cover
1 - Left Side Fascia Bracket
1 - Right Side Fascia Bracket
2 - Fog Lamps with Bulbs & Mounting Hardware
1 - Air Splitter
1 - Upper Grille
1 - Lower Grille Bumper Insert
1 - Grille Emblem
1 - Left Side Fender Snake Emblem
1 - Right Side Fender Snake Emblem
1 - Front Bumper Crash Isolator
1 - Radiator Sight Shield Shroud
1 - Left Side Hood Vent/Grille
1 - Right Side Hood Vent/Grille
1 - Rear Bumper Cover
1 - Rear Spoiler
1 - Left Side Rear Splash Guard
1 - Right Side Rear Splash Guard
1 - Rear Emblem (Gas Cap)

Alcoa Wheels - $500 deposit down (should receive them in December)
A big thanks to krkitt1 for being so quick to let us all know about these rims. I kept watching them going through on Ebay at over $5k.
The car should be going into the spray shop late next week as I'm currently waiting on the bumpers (arriving Tuesday) and the Hood (arriving Tuesday/Wednesday)

I would like to thank krkitt1, bullittknight and Taoworm as they have given me plenty of help and information over the past 2 months.

Now it's question time -
Can anyone tell me where is the best place to get the matt black stripes from? I have read that it would be best to go for 8 inch on the front bumper and hood, then 10 inch for the roof, trunk and rear bumper?
I am also looking at the side stripes with GT 500 KR on them?

Also, would anyone know where I can get the headrests from?

Thanks

lphill01
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: My KI3T Build by M-Tak

Post by lphill01 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:43 am

http://www.championmustang.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; carries the KR headrests.

MTAK
Rookie
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: My KI3T Build by M-Tak

Post by MTAK » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:13 am

Thanks Iphill01,
I noticed your posting on another thread mentioning champion mustang. I had a look last night and they have a lot of goodies that I want/need to finish my project.....better start saving ;-)