ki2t top speed at super pursuit mode

Archive for discussions from 2010. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

In Super Pursuit Mode, which of these do you believe is KITT's approximate top speed?

300mph
55%
420mph
45%

Total votes: 38

chrisjones
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

ki2t top speed at super pursuit mode

Post by chrisjones » Fri May 08, 2009 9:47 am

I'll be honest - I couldn't be bothered to read all that, but then again I'm like that with most Novels.

BUT what I will agree with you on is Matt is a top geezer.

All the best,

Canon...... sorry, I mean Chris. :lol:
[b]No way you mentalist![/b]

rwmu
Operative

Re: ki2t top speed at super pursuit mode

Post by rwmu » Fri May 08, 2009 12:03 pm

I read it, typical VK I'm right because I say i'm right, your wrong because you don't agree with me.

He also wanders off about Canon which I find hilarious (Canon, not VK wandering off on it), Canon is another Geek thing and on I don't go in for, VK should watch Red Dwarf he'd have a brain heamorrage at the complete lack of Canon in the show. Show with full continuity control didn't come into exitsance until the mid 90s with JMS's Babylon 5 (That really is a tightly written show). Most of the cult shows before that have books dedidcated to the lack of Canon such as the Nit-Pickers guide to Star Trek (Various versions), Doctor Who Discontinuity Guide and Red Dwarfs Program guide. Not seen a KR one but I'm sure there is one or a web site with it on.
Είναι καλύτερο να θεωρηθεί ως ανόητος, από να ανοιχτεί το στόμα σας και να αφαιρεθεί όλη η αμφιβολία.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Fri May 08, 2009 12:48 pm

rwmu wrote:I read it, typical VK I'm right because I say i'm right, your wrong because you don't agree with me.

He also wanders off about Canon which I find hilarious (Canon, not VK wandering off on it), Canon is another Geek thing and on I don't go in for, VK should watch Red Dwarf he'd have a brain heamorrage at the complete lack of Canon in the show. Show with full continuity control didn't come into exitsance until the mid 90s with JMS's Babylon 5 (That really is a tightly written show). Most of the cult shows before that have books dedidcated to the lack of Canon such as the Nit-Pickers guide to Star Trek (Various versions), Doctor Who Discontinuity Guide and Red Dwarfs Program guide. Not seen a KR one but I'm sure there is one or a web site with it on.
- None of this banter soldifies your point nor weakens my position - canon is fact no matter how inconsistant it may be - the only thing you can try to do is rewrite it but then it becomes revisionist history - another tactic that peeves fans off who follow a show's documented timeline.

Most "nitpicks" as you point out are known as continuity errors as they tend to violate "canon" itself (except for perhaps switching/noticable stunt doubles) and *gasp* that's what I've called them from the start. Perhaps you should research the difference.

rwmu, you're wrong because you didn't do the research for yourself and you fail to bring anything new to the table that supports your opinion. Had you proven otherwise, I would tell you that you were right.

Let's face it based upon your history tangling with me you're just consistantly bad at trying to discredit me and that seems to really bother you. That's why you continue to attempt to redeem your failures by ghosting my posts or piggy-backing off the views of others who disagree with me.

Here's a clue for you.

As for chrisjones's inability to digest reading novels or contribute anything useful pertaining to the debate; all I have to say is the famous and fitting punchline, "You are the weakest link, goodbye."

I'll give you the courtesy of one more chance to post a rebuttal and then I'm moving on from this matter.

=VK=
:dash:

chrisjones
FLAG Recruit

Post by chrisjones » Fri May 08, 2009 1:49 pm

oooooooh scalding, taking a pop at my inability to read a long book! How ever will I move on with my life.... you do know what it means to have 'a life' don't you?

It seems to have come down to the same time old problem with your posts.

Your right, whilst everyone else, no matter how right they actually are, will always be wrong.

For the love of God, please will you stop it with all this 'I'm giving you one more chance to say sorry or else I'm going to throw a monumental strop and post a 6 million word reply about how wrong you all are' type endings to all your nastily directed posts.

To the Mods - Hey so I might have just skimmed the border of breaking some of the forum rules, but good lordy, this guy really knows how to push peoples buttons with all his high and mighty banter..... oh that's right he's been banned from forums before hasn't he. How my memory fails me sometimes.

Sad fact is ive heard your quite a nice(ish) bloke in person, why the hell do you need to strut around threads with so much 'mouth and trousers' constantly? I'm sure we'll bump into each other at an event sooner or later, I just hope your nicer in person than you are in here, I'm guessing you must be...

Please take your 'Cannon' shove it up your online ego, light the fuse and do us all a massive favor. :good:
[b]No way you mentalist![/b]

rwmu
Operative

Post by rwmu » Fri May 08, 2009 2:57 pm

I've seen VK post some sad things in my time on various boards including using Wikipedia as proof ! But a MC Hammer cover as a reply he really is stuck in the old days isn't he. In honour of this latest gaff I shall refer to him from now on as MC Kros.

And again I will state what I keep saying:

I'm not here to provide proof but to judge the proof given so far and Matt's proof is much clearer. You can go on and on MC Kros but it won't change the proof provided.

But please go on chucking the abuse at me and i'll watch as you use up your last chance and be banned for good.
Είναι καλύτερο να θεωρηθεί ως ανόητος, από να ανοιχτεί το στόμα σας και να αφαιρεθεί όλη η αμφιβολία.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Fri May 08, 2009 7:31 pm

chrisjones wrote:oooooooh scalding, taking a pop at my inability to read a long book! How ever will I move on with my life.... you do know what it means to have 'a life' don't you?

It seems to have come down to the same time old problem with your posts.

Your right, whilst everyone else, no matter how right they actually are, will always be wrong.

For the love of God, please will you stop it with all this 'I'm giving you one more chance to say sorry or else I'm going to throw a monumental strop and post a 6 million word reply about how wrong you all are' type endings to all your nastily directed posts.

To the Mods - Hey so I might have just skimmed the border of breaking some of the forum rules, but good lordy, this guy really knows how to push peoples buttons with all his high and mighty banter..... oh that's right he's been banned from forums before hasn't he. How my memory fails me sometimes.

Sad fact is ive heard your quite a nice(ish) bloke in person, why the hell do you need to strut around threads with so much 'mouth and trousers' constantly? I'm sure we'll bump into each other at an event sooner or later, I just hope your nicer in person than you are in here, I'm guessing you must be...

Please take your 'Cannon' shove it up your online ego, light the fuse and do us all a massive favor. :good:
- So much for peaceful negotiations and advice eh? You just couldn't resist taking another shot. Chris I can push your buttons like an elevator and you know why? Because you're so rediculously predictable. You're a one trick pony with the same redundant childish temper tantrums time and time again - different forum, same MO. You were two faced on KRUK and nothing has changed.

You've proven to be about as sharp as a bowling ball. My use of the word "canon" is entirely different but I guess you're attempting to be clever. You might want to think things through next time before hurling an insult that is so easily backfired back into your own "cannon".

=VK=

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Fri May 08, 2009 8:08 pm

rwmu wrote:I've seen VK post some sad things in my time on various boards including using Wikipedia as proof ! But a MC Hammer cover as a reply he really is stuck in the old days isn't he. In honour of this latest gaff I shall refer to him from now on as MC Kros.

And again I will state what I keep saying:

I'm not here to provide proof but to judge the proof given so far and Matt's proof is much clearer. You can go on and on MC Kros but it won't change the proof provided.

But please go on chucking the abuse at me and i'll watch as you use up your last chance and be banned for good.
- So let me get this straight...you accuse me of "abusing"you? Now you're going on to brand me with another name as some form of childish response to a message you clearly didn't get in the first place? I'm not going to walk a tightrope with you kid, you're simply not worth it. You are correct about one thing rmwu, I will probably land in hot water if I continue to point out your consistant inability to as you would call it "own" me.

Twice now you have admitted that you can't "clearly understand" the evidence provided by both parties, a fact I have pointed out - therefore what you have is an opinion which in no way reflects to me your value. I haven't disputed your decision to agree or disagree, I have disputed your decision to go off topic and disrespect me - something you continue to do.

I chose to give you your fair chance to post a rebuttal but you instead choose to use said opportunity to continue to instigate me. The fact is if you're not here to provide proof then you have nothing of value to add to the discussion.

I have not abused you. I have pointed out the obvious intellectual flaws which you yourself continue to display.

As promised you had your shot and you blew it. I'm moving on and so should you.

=VK=

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Fri May 08, 2009 8:29 pm

After thinking things through, In the interest of diplomacy I retract my previous post towards chrisjones. Mods are free to remove it if they choose. Given that he may have decided to post that message before contacting me in the chatroom to try and discuss matters - I may have prematurely misjudged his actions. I apologize to chris for posting that particular response and will give him the benefit of a doubt that it was not posted after our chatroom discussion which had to be cut short.

As I am a fair person, I will go with the assumption my response would jeapordize progress made which is not at this point in time my intention.

My comments to rwmu however remain unchanged and will not be recinded.

=VK=

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Fri May 08, 2009 10:17 pm

Nick,

I have to say that I’m appalled by the derogatory behaviour I’ve been witnessing from you over the last 48 hours. Just because you dislike someone, it doesn’t give you the right to wilfully disobey the rules we have in place here so that you can attack them.

Whilst I realise that you believe the blame does not lay with you, I’ve seen nothing in RMWU's comments to warrant the kind of disrespectful attitude that you’ve shown him, other than his decision to disagree with your opinion based on that of another.

As for the retraction of your comment towards Chris Jones, unfortunately, I saw the original version, and given the extremely volatile nature of its contents, I have no choice but to use the disciplinary system to punish you for your actions on this matter.

Chris, I must also note that given the instigative nature of your comment, I have no choice but to punish you for your actions using the disciplinary system as well.

In closing, it absolutely astonishes me that a debate of facts and opinions could become so vile and reprehensible. I’m ashamed of what I’ve seen here, and it wouldn’t surprise me if many others are as well.

Thread Closed! Image

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Sun May 10, 2009 2:58 pm

Hi guys,

I just wanted you all to know that I’ve decided to reopen this thread, now that things have had a chance to cool off.

Now, I know there are a number of unpleasantly toned comments dotted throughout, so I'd appreciate it if those of you that wish to reply to the comments I’m referring to, would only concentrate on the facts that were presented.

Thanks everyone. :good:

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun May 10, 2009 7:49 pm

First off, great debate, guys, and sorry for the long post ahead...

Looking at both points of view objectively, it seems to me that the rule established in the Knight Rider Bible of "How fast do you want K.I.T.T. to go?" might not necessarily mean it's established canon. K.I.T.T.'s Seasons 3 & 4 dashboard says his top speed is 300 M.P.H. Now, of course it has to have some top speed on there because otherwise the speedometer's meter would have to say "As fast as you want" instead of "300" for its limit. :lol:

Now, judging from the fact that the highest speed we've seen K.I.T.T.'s speedometer go to (300 M.P.H.) is also the highest limit that his own dashboard says, I will have to conclude that K.I.T.T. does indeed have a top speed and that it is indeed 300 M.P.H. If anyone were able to post a screen shot of K.I.T.T.'s speedometer simply saying as much as "301 M.P.H.," it would prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that K.I.T.T.'s actual speed can exceed the speed stated on his dashboard, and in that event I would be in full agreement with Victor because it would be breaking the limit to a point where the dashboard can no longer accurately record it.

In regards to Bonnie's statement about the 40 percent speed increase, I don't believe we can take it literally. If I'm not mistaken, her exact words were: "I think we can get a 40 percent speed increase." The key word here is think. She made this estimation before Super Pursuit Mode was fully implemented into K.I.T.T.'s systems, so not only was it an inaccurate estimation, but it wasn't even installed yet. As stated earlier, a 40 percent speed increase from 200 M.P.H. would've put K.I.T.T.'s top speed at 280 M.P.H. which was undoubtedly proven by Matthew's screen shot to be incorrect if that were the case.

Furthermore, it's my opinion that the final speed increase once SPM was installed was actually 40+ percent above K.I.T.T.'s top speed in Normal Mode, which would be approximately 200 M.P.H. (which I'm basing off of K.I.T.T.'s Seasons 1 & 2 dashboard). Now, if we're going to take the Knight Rider Bible's rules literally, I believe it would apply to K.I.T.T.'s top speed in NORMAL MODE, not SPM.

The Bible was written before SPM was even conceived by any of the writers, so would it then be fair to presume that since the previously established rules of the Molecular Bonded Shell made no sense once K.I.T.T. splits apart in SPM, can we also say the same regarding K.I.T.T.'s top speed? In other words, is it possible that the Bible's rules ended up being broken and thus irrelevant by the time Season 4 came around?

One more variable to take into consideration is the 100 M.P.H. increase when K.I.T.T.'s dashboard was upgraded in Season 3's "Knight Of the Drones." To me, that meant that K.I.T.T.'s top speed in Season 3 could also indeed exceed the 200 M.P.H. mark and that he was potentially capable of reaching 300 M.P.H., but not actually capable unless there were other abnormal circumstances such as the ramjet used in "Goliath" (does that make sense?). K.I.T.T. reached the 310 M.P.H. top speed in "Goliath" even though his speedometer only read up to 200 M.P.H., so it would obviously just show a maxed out 200 M.P.H. speed. Bonnie's Season 3 upgrade in my opinion would simply be for the purpose of giving Michael a more accurate speed reading by accomodating an extra 100 M.P.H. (since it was proven that K.I.T.T. did exceed 200 M.P.H. in "Goliath"), and I agree with Victor with his speculation that it was done to simply "plan ahead."

However, if Bonnie planned ahead in Season 3, and K.I.T.T.'s speed with the 40 percent increase could indeed make him reach 420 M.P.H., why wouldn't Bonnie have added another 120 M.P.H. increase on K.I.T.T.'s speedometer when she knew she was installing SPM and it would be making K.I.T.T.'s top speed even faster than 300 M.P.H.? To me that's even more reason to back up my point of view that he had a top speed of 300 M.P.H. and even in SPM I would imagine K.I.T.T. would only be capable of achieving that on a straight path with no obstacles.

Oh, and by the way, Season 4's opening credit sequence only show's K.I.T.T.'s top speed at 298 M.P.H. which still does not break the 300 M.P.H. mark. But even if it did, I don't believe we could count any footage in the credit sequence as some shots were tweaked to be fancier, like the blinking dashboard lights in Seasons 1 and 2, whereas K.I.T.T.'s dashboard never blinked in regular episodes, for example. Here's the screen shot just for reference:

To me, this ultimately becomes a question of just because nobody ever actually said K.I.T.T.'s top speed in the series, does that mean he doesn't have a top speed? I think this is something that can be established by "reading between the lines" so to speak and the Bible only meant to never outright say the top speed.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Mon May 11, 2009 10:16 pm

Okay, so here is a conundrum then. In the Wrong Crowd we see KITT's spedometer at around 260, then we hear a sonic boom, then we see it about 270 and hear another boom as KITT races off.
So if we are to believe that KITT just broke the sound barrier at 761 mph we have to assume that A- the first digit of KITT's speedometer is broken, B- in SPM KITT's speedometer doesn't work, or C- KITT really needs a tune up and is mealy backfiring.
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Tue May 12, 2009 2:11 am

Well people challenged me to ask the man himself, so I managed to record this little video clip with K.I.T.T.'s original designer, Michael Scheffe! - He discusses this debate question in the second part of my video. I was pretty exhausted from the intense heat of the day at this point so please forgive the fatigue while asking my questions.

This should shed some new light on the debate at hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDmFC8jfOEo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

While youtube likes to butcher footage (you should watch it in HQ) - I was suprised how well this turned out considering I wasn't using a camcorder but the video feature on my canon point and shoot 14.8mpx camera!

Enjoy!

=VK=

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Tue May 12, 2009 2:52 am

So yes, I guess that rests the case. KITT can go as fast as anyone can dream up. Though you gave him wrong info. KITT is seen in the opening credits of season one going 220 and by season three we see him going 298. And that's before SPM. So if imagination is the rule.. and those sonic booms weren't KITT backfiring, I guess his top speed must be 800mph.
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Tue May 12, 2009 10:55 am

Sue wrote:So yes, I guess that rests the case. KITT can go as fast as anyone can dream up. Though you gave him wrong info. KITT is seen in the opening credits of season one going 220 and by season three we see him going 298. And that's before SPM. So if imagination is the rule.. and those sonic booms weren't KITT backfiring, I guess his top speed must be 800mph.
- The credits is not in an actual episode, so no I didn't give him the wrong info. According to the episodes (from season 3 and 4), his speedo did not break 300mph neither in normal or using SPM. There is no physically possible way KITT drove 800mph. The pressure of sonic booms emitted at ground level would have blown out glass windows as he raced by office buildings. None of which occured at any point using SPM.

The composition of the atmosphere is also a factor. Temperature variations, humidity, pollution, and winds can all have an effect on how a sonic boom is perceived on the ground. Even the ground itself can influence the sound of a sonic boom. Hard surfaces such as concrete, pavement, and large buildings can cause reflections which may amplify the sound of a sonic boom.

Here's a little news clip about it.

http://archives.cbc.ca/on_this_day/08/06/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

=VK=

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Tue May 12, 2009 11:11 am

Victor Kros wrote: The composition of the atmosphere is also a factor. Temperature variations, humidity, pollution, and winds can all have an effect on how a sonic boom is perceived on the ground. Even the ground itself can influence the sound of a sonic boom. Hard surfaces such as concrete, pavement, and large buildings can cause reflections which may amplify the sound of a sonic boom.
Yes its true, I was feeling lazy, or hoping a physics major would step up. But there are equations to figure out the speed of sound at different altitudes and conditions. So first we must figure out what altitude that location is, then estimate the weather conditions.. and then we shall have the speed he was going.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Tue May 12, 2009 11:45 am

Sue wrote:
Victor Kros wrote: The composition of the atmosphere is also a factor. Temperature variations, humidity, pollution, and winds can all have an effect on how a sonic boom is perceived on the ground. Even the ground itself can influence the sound of a sonic boom. Hard surfaces such as concrete, pavement, and large buildings can cause reflections which may amplify the sound of a sonic boom.
Yes its true, I was feeling lazy, or hoping a physics major would step up. But there are equations to figure out the speed of sound at different altitudes and conditions. So first we must figure out what altitude that location is, then estimate the weather conditions.. and then we shall have the speed he was going.
- Well also in addition to that data, from a visual standpoint the air around KITT would have fanned out in a cone shape first at the nose and then traveled out around the rear - which as far as I can tell didn't happen either - and we're talking a very large amount of visual air expansion pressure here.

I know that in Knight Rider they showed a smaller burst of air come out of KITT's exhaust (on occassion) and used the "shotgun" sound effect but to be considered a real sonic boom, the amount of visable air would have been significantly greater around the car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwqBM6C6sD8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's a good video clip explaining how sonic booms work from a visual standpoint, area created, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/v/-d9A2oq1N38&hl=en&fs=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think it's fairly safe to say, while KITT can go blazing fast he didn't actually reach supersonic speeds.

=VK=

rwmu
Operative

Post by rwmu » Tue May 12, 2009 2:18 pm

Nice Pics and explination. I have to agree if KITT went Trans-Sonic at ground level even the Foundation wouldn't be able to afford the repair bills, plus I always thought KITT was supposed to be somewhat of a secret.

I also like the idea of the imaginantion been the limit, imagination is not affected by the laws of physics :D

The interview was nicely diplomatic and didn't really settle the argument either way, which was to be excpected TV and Film people use what ever is needed to tell a story and leave the discussions to the likes of us OC fans :lol:

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Tue May 12, 2009 4:58 pm

rwmu wrote:Nice Pics and explination. I have to agree if KITT went Trans-Sonic at ground level even the Foundation wouldn't be able to afford the repair bills, plus I always thought KITT was supposed to be somewhat of a secret.

I also like the idea of the imaginantion been the limit, imagination is not affected by the laws of physics :D

The interview was nicely diplomatic and didn't really settle the argument either way, which was to be excpected TV and Film people use what ever is needed to tell a story and leave the discussions to the likes of us OC fans :lol:
Ah, you are too smart for me. You have nearly beaten me to my point. But hey, why not, I'll make it anyway. :mrgreen:

In the world of Knight Rider there are some people who prefer the earlier work and some who prefer the later. And some that recognize works that most don’t even consider to be part of the cannon. There are some who see it as infallible, some that see it as just a nice story. And still others that think very little of anyone who likes the story at all. But all of those people have the same two choices. They can A, believe that they alone have been granted the ability to understand all knowledge and that everyone else in the universe for some reason has it wrong. Or they can believe that there probably is one truth out there, but it’s really hard to imagine any one person having it all right.

So while the first group is flying a plane into a building somewhere, the second group of people can say to themselves that, well, I think the opening credits are part of the cannon and TKR doesn’t really exist, and it seems a bit unlikely that a man could survive inside a whale.. I mean, Knight Rider.. right….where was I… right, that second group of people realizes that they are just as right as someone who wants to say well TKR really did exist or those that say hey it's all just a really nice story and it doesn’t have to make sense.

But hey, don’t listen to me, cause chances are I’m not right. :mrgreen:

But yes I also agree that Michael Scheffe is a very cool guy. :good:

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Tue May 12, 2009 5:38 pm

Sue wrote:
rwmu wrote:Nice Pics and explination. I have to agree if KITT went Trans-Sonic at ground level even the Foundation wouldn't be able to afford the repair bills, plus I always thought KITT was supposed to be somewhat of a secret.

Ah, you are too smart for me. You have nearly beaten me to my point. But hey, why not, I'll make it anyway. :mrgreen:

In the world of Knight Rider there are some people who prefer the earlier work and some who prefer the later. And some that recognize works that most don’t even consider to be part of the cannon. There are some who see it as infallible, some that see it as just a nice story. And still others that think very little of anyone who likes the story at all. But all of those people have the same two choices. They can A, believe that they alone have been granted the ability to understand all knowledge and that everyone else in the universe for some reason has it wrong. Or they can believe that there probably is one truth out there, but it’s really hard to imagine any one person having it all right.

So while the first group is flying a plane into a building somewhere, the second group of people can say to themselves that, well, I think the opening credits are part of the cannon and TKR doesn’t really exist, and it seems a bit unlikely that a man could survive inside a whale.. I mean, Knight Rider.. right….where was I… right, that second group of people realizes that they are just as right as someone who wants to say well TKR really did exist or those that say hey it's all just a really nice story and it doesn’t have to make sense.

But hey, don’t listen to me, cause chances are I’m not right. :mrgreen:

But yes I also agree that Michael Scheffe is a very cool guy. :good:
- So uh, I don't know exactly what to make of all that but I think it's safe to say as far as canon goes within the episodes, KITT didn't break 300mph in SPM given that his speedometer never reflected as much. I'd also say with the lack of physical evidence, KITT didn't go supersonic either. I think speed at this point outside of "canon" as in what the show depicts is open to interpretation by fans.

The Knight Rider Bible says the car goes as fast as the writer's wanted it to go, so I must rely on the notion that if they didn't write the car breaching 300mph, it didn't happen but for fans the car goes as fast as they wish it to such as in fanfiction and so on.

I think KITT being able to achieve 300mph in Season Three is really open to speculation because while his speedometer never reflected as much within an episode, given Michael Scheffe's estimates of the car's top speed 200-300mph is doable - beyond that is fun to explore but outside his expectatations.

I think the fact he talked about a Trans Am that can go 200+ in the real world further expands on his desire to keep KITT's speed believable, even in the world of Knight Rider.

=VK=

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Tue May 12, 2009 6:47 pm

kitt could go 425mph in SPM and no one is changing my mind. it is a TV show live with it stop making our great shows politically correct. real life is bad enough as it is. don't destroy knight rider it is the one thing we have left, cherish it
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue May 12, 2009 10:00 pm

In Inside Out, the police radar clocks KITT at 225 and then goes off the scale. Early reviews of the show talked about KITT doing 300 mph so maybe that was in some press releases or something, but I think canon clearly shows KITT can do over 225 mph in normal (non-SPM) mode.

I believe the simplest explanation is the best. Could KITT drive up the side of a building? We never saw him do it, but they never said he COULDN'T do it. If there was a season 5 and for some reason they needed KITT to have special suction tires, then KITT could suddenly have that ability. But until we see it, we shouldn't assume it's canon. Knight Rider was not a subtle show. If KITT could go 400 mph, they would have shown him going 400 mph.

I believe we are spending far more time calculating KITT's top speed than the writers did. I think they said "let's make him 40% faster" without giving a whole bunch of thought as to what the current top speed was. And that's fine. If the math doesn't work out to 40%, it doesn't really matter.

My take? It's bit of revisionist history. KITT's top speed seasons 1-3 was around 230-250; when they came up with SPM they retro-actively made KITT's top speed closer to 200 so that his new top speed was around 300.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed May 13, 2009 1:12 am

Sue wrote:So yes, I guess that rests the case. KITT can go as fast as anyone can dream up. Though you gave him wrong info. KITT is seen in the opening credits of season one going 220 and by season three we see him going 298. And that's before SPM. So if imagination is the rule.. and those sonic booms weren't KITT backfiring, I guess his top speed must be 800mph.
As some of us have pointed out, I think it may even be fair to say the general consensus (in this thread, anyway) is that whatever features or speeds shown in the opening credit sequences are irrelevant and simply just for show.

There is also the matter of the duel Turbo Boost function in Seasons 1 and 2, where its secondary function was to give K.I.T.T. an extra burst of speed. Judging by his speedometer in those seasons having a maximum speed of 200 M.P.H., I would argue that the Turbo Boost was capable of pushing his speed to over 200 M.P.H. Unfortunately there's nothing to really gauge just how much faster Turbo Boost could send K.I.T.T. past his maximum speed (all we know is that it was a strictly brief burst and not consistent speed like Super Pursuit Mode), but I'd be comfortable with the presumption that he could reach 220-250 M.P.H. if he was already in Pursuit Mode. Feel free to do the math, but unless anyone can figure out exactly how much extra speed Turbo Boost gave K.I.T.T., it probably wouldn't do any good.

As for Season 3, I'm fairly certain that Bonnie removed Turbo Boost's secondary function for the simple fact that K.I.T.T.'s top speed could then exceed 200 M.P.H. and be accurately recorded in Pursuit. (I seem to vaguely remember a "Boost 2" button somewhere which might be a separate button for the secondary function, though?) This is not to say he could necessarily reach 300 M.P.H. under normal conditions, but he'd certainly be able to at least exceed 200 M.P.H.

Therefore, my theory is that Bonnie's 40 percent estimation was actually based upon this unconfirmed top speed with Turbo Boost, which would be in the neighborhood of 220-250 M.P.H. So with Season 4's Super Pursuit Mode, K.I.T.T. would then be able to reach the full 300 M.P.H. on his speedometer.

Frankly, I don't know how anybody is coming up with this ridiculous 420 M.P.H. theory or even considering the possibility that K.I.T.T. could create a sonic boom.

By the way, very interesting interview with Michael Scheffe, Victor. However, as entertaining as it was it still does not settle anything one way or another just as much as I question the validity of the Knight Rider Bible in Season 4 when things were undoubtedly changed. Also, from how I interpreted his interview, he actually seems to suggest that 250-300 M.P.H. is the approximate top speed. So of course since K.I.T.T. did reach 300 M.P.H., if anyone is to take his words literally, it would simply be another confimation that 300 was his top speed.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Wed May 13, 2009 4:06 am

Okay so I admit talking in riddles didn’t work out. So let me just sum up then. I’m an Existentialist – basically that means arguing about things can get to the point of being ridiculous.

Everyone sees the world the way they want to see it, and really we should just embrace those differences. In reality I’m quite sure that an editor made the decision to add a sonic boom like sound because it’s just a sound that sounds fast. And I’m sure the editors, writers and prop people did not really put this much thought into anything.

So my point in adding to the confusion by pointing out the sonic boom was to point out how absurd the argument was. But in the sake of coming to a group decision I voted for 420 as I personally would feel the credits count. But we all have every right to disagree on that matter.

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

I HAVE THE DEFINITIVE ANSWER ON KITTS TOP SPEED

Post by weeezl » Wed May 13, 2009 3:05 pm

There isn't one :D