Race For Life

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

whet
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Race for life nitpick.

Post by whet » Sun Mar 02, 2003 1:58 pm

When Hulio finds the autoroof button Why don't Kitt just close the T top before he gets out, come to think about it coulden't kitt have a system to disable his buttons?
While I am on the subject of Race for life,
Anyone else who has volume 2 by universal playback, does this episode have a lot of drop out in it on your copy?
I though it could be my tape, but the other 2 epidodes don't seem to have any drop ou at all.
If anyone could answer this I would be verry Gratefull.

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Re: Race for life nitpick.

Post by jup » Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:29 pm

whet wrote:When Hulio finds the autoroof button Why don't Kitt just close the T top before he gets out, come to think about it coulden't kitt have a system to disable his buttons?
It's my theory that Kitt's ability to override the dash buttons was governed by a complex set of standards, and each one of them differed between functions. This is for a few reasons. One: Kitt and the Knight Two Thousand's on-board computer system were not 100% tied together. Kitt (the brain in the "black box") was wired up to the Knight Two Thousand and could control it like Michael did. (And a little more.) But, the rules that governed what Kitt could and could not do at a given time made it hard to override Hulio's "higher authority" command to the Knight Two Thousand's CPU to open the T-Top.

As for a device to shut down the buttons...IF Kitt had such power, then anyone riding inside the cabin area could become totally helpless and at the mercy of the machine. (You can probably thank KARR for rules and limited AI control being introduced into KITT.) Else, Kitt could override Michael's codes to shut down or have manual override. Though, I still say that it is a wicked idea that Michael could shut KITT down with a few button presses and Kitt could shut Michael down by sending high voltage into his wrist watch comm link. }:>

sofchance
Rookie

Race For Life

Post by sofchance » Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:22 am

I must say that for far from the first two seasons, "Race For Life" is my favorite episode. There's no need for a diabolical bad guy or a complicated plot - it's just the way the characters are there for each other and work together to try and save a little girl's life. Overall a great episode, with the themes of "family" and "being scared of what's unknown" playing throughout.

Maybe not intentional, but there's two really funny moments in this episode.
-The first happens when Santos gains access to KITT...Michael just gets in the passenger side, turns to Santos and says "Hi! want some licorice?"
-The second happens at the end of the show. Now I know Becky is 10 and anyone who knows her would want to have fun with her, but at the end of the show Michael "zooms" Julio around the hospital like he's the same age! I have a hard time believing Julio is younger than 18!

Katt
Operative

Post by Katt » Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:31 am

I love race for life as well, it's a great episode. I love that scene at the end with Michael., Becky and Kitt, with Kitt showing how happy he is to see Becky, it's so cute! :D 8) Kinda cool that the episode was also dedicated to guys kid who died while the episode was being filmed.

SadArticle
Operative

Post by SadArticle » Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:43 am

Katt wrote:I love race for life as well, it's a great episode. I love that scene at the end with Michael., Becky and Kitt, with Kitt showing how happy he is to see Becky, it's so cute! :D 8)
That made me cringe! :oops:

But I loved how there was an attempt to pad out April's background, even if she wasn't overly convincing that those people were her relations and she was concerned about them (April seemed way too glamorous. Bonnie might have faired better). Nice try, though.

Sarah
We'll never get the smell out of the upholstery - Kitt, Knightlines

KITTFAN2003
Recruit

Post by KITTFAN2003 » Thu Mar 06, 2003 6:54 am

I think my favorite moment from "Race for life" was MK explaining to KITT the concept of family. The whole episode was very touching :cry:

pdennis93
FLAG Recruit

Post by pdennis93 » Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:50 am

julio is definately not younger than 18. he's 23 (micheal says something early in the episode about the donor being "a 23 year old male")

also, did anyone notice the little blurb of text at the end? i didnt catch it, but i taped the episode so i rewound it and paused it so i could read it,

it said someting like

"this episode is dedicated to the sone of mario raphial something (julio) who passed away while his father was filming this episode)

i dont remember the actors name, but damn that sux.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:59 pm

Yep, it was brought up earlier in this thread. It was the actor who played Julio.

KI

pdennis93
FLAG Recruit

Post by pdennis93 » Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:54 pm

oh yeah now i see it, i must have missed that part of someones post

Garth Knight
Recruit

Post by Garth Knight » Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:07 pm

This was indeed one of my fave KR episodes of all time. I also loved the discussion between MK and KITT about family. I like to imagine Bonnie in April's position. I'm sure the episode would be much more of a tearjerker.
My other fave episode will come up soon enough. Junk Yard Dog also explores the family theme.
My heart went out to Becky in this episode. :cry:

Count Dracula
Recruit

Post by Count Dracula » Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:08 pm

I got lucky to see the episode yesterday (ever since we got BBC America two weeks ago Mom found a show she liked so much it overrides my KR time, they are on the same slot: 5PM. :( Mom was gone yesterday getting flooring for the bathroom we are remodoling yesterday)

Who is Jilo? The old man in the begining of the show? What did he die of? It is sad to see someone die who is a charicter of a show or movie while they are producing it. The only other one that comes to mind is Dumbledor from Harry Potter 2. Died right after the filming. Oh, another one. Gene Roddenberry, died while filming Star Trek IV: Voyage Home.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:18 pm

Julio (actor: Mario Marcelino) was the character's name of the gang dude that they were looking for throughout the episode. The actor's son died while they were filming that episode. The son had nothing to do with Knight Rider.

KI