Whos got the $$ to have a 3000 Replica!!

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Whos got the $$ to have a 3000 Replica!!

Post by tamatt27 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:05 pm

It won't be a true replica, but I'm planning on making my own KI3T. I doubt I'll go with Alcoa wheels, though. The authentic KR hood is not available for retail, so I'll be getting the one listed as well as the GT500 front bumper. I'd like to get Taoworm23's voice bubble, but I don't have a carPC to hook it up to. I'll post pics of my 'new to me' '06 Mustang GT when I take delivery of it tomorrow and show you guys what I'll be starting with.
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:20 pm

KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:43 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urg-mhO9nr0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:42 pm

I bought the Shelby GT500 front end! I'm going to pick it up on Monday and will have it painted and installed by the end of April.

Tiger Warrior
Rookie

Post by Tiger Warrior » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:43 pm

I am orkign on my own Mustang KARR Replica. It won't be the accurate KARR Replica, as it was hard enough as it was to get someone to help me make my dream KARR come true. So far, I got the inside done and here's the vid of the inside of my KARR:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t44RK8b-YPY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My vid has the full description of the mods done tot he inside of my KARR Mustang (I've laready mentioned what it does on some of the other KRo webpages). My Mustang is a V6, that hopefully soon, will have a Shelby front and the 2x ICE LED lights will go behind the grill (as the Shelby hood will not have the TV show hood scoops.) My tech guy tried to mod an ICE LED scaner to a hood scoop of my choice and thus far, it doesn't work and may have to get me a new one. He did an awesome job with the inside though, so on that note I am very pleased with his work.

My "SHADOW KARR" as I call it, will be Silver with black lines. I thought about getting TOS dashboard installed on the Mustang, but i would've made it tacky, so I am leaving it the way it is. As soon as I finish my KARR, I will post pics and vids of the final product. Wish me luck KRO fans.

:karr: from the one and only:

Tiger Warrior

p.s.= KITT must die!

ttsracingworld
Recruit

Post by ttsracingworld » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:50 pm

Hey tamatt27, did you get all the parts you need to change the front ens? I'm doing a Kitt with the 2009 Mustang GT I just got. I'll post pictures soon. What kinfd of price did you pay for the nose.

Slade
FLAG Assistant

Post by Slade » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:45 am

Awesome to both you guys :good:

I would love to start my replica but with the economy the way it is,I got save the money for a rainyday,never know what could happen :?
"See ladies,what happens in Vegas,stays in...KITT"
"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing"

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:02 pm

Great job tamatt27 and Tiger Warrior!
We all need to get our KITT and KARR mustangs together soon! :D
And RACE!!! :twisted:
(Mines a V-6 too...so...yeah :roll: )
"Don't tell me what I can't do!" ---John Locke

Slade
FLAG Assistant

Post by Slade » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:24 pm

So there all V-6 GT's? right?

MR2NR
FLAG Recruit

Post by MR2NR » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:08 pm

Slade wrote:So there all V-6 GT's? right?
Ya I should kinda clarify this as I posted about this before seeing KI3T in real life and knowing what I know now. The actual KI3T is just a GT with KR dress up. Hood Bumpers and badging. The reason for this is KR's stunt coordinators didn't want a unpredictable 5.4 manual supercharged engine but they did collect all the actual Shelby parts and put them on a 4.6 GT. KI3T is more like a 1/2 KR since Shelby worked with NBC but did not actually give KI3T a CSR #. So anybody that purchased a black KR and is going to make KI3T out of it will even one up NBC :).
K.R.A.M. Knight Reformulation Automated Machine 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo.

To the people who made the Knight Rider Festival possible especially Paul Casey. Thank You! See you all and more in 2012 :kitt2:

Slade
FLAG Assistant

Post by Slade » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:16 pm

Yeah I guess my idea to make a replica is the same as everyone elses.Buy a GT and dress it up,just like on the show.

Altho I was thinking,the other day I saw a sweet black Saleen Mustang,I wonder if it would be possible to make KI3T out of that?

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:48 pm

Slade wrote:Yeah I guess my idea to make a replica is the same as everyone elses.Buy a GT and dress it up,just like on the show.

Altho I was thinking,the other day I saw a sweet black Saleen Mustang,I wonder if it would be possible to make KI3T out of that?
Mine's a Roush Mustang, but I'm selling all the Roush pieces and swapping them for Shelby ones. I got the hookup at our sister Ford store and scored the GT500 front facia, upper and lower grills, bumper support, brackets, headlamps, fog lamps, etc for $949. I'll post pics of the pieces on Monday. After the bumper is on and painted...the next step is the Trufiber KR hood...then my custom-made scanner. Once that's all complete, I'm still debating on whether or not to get the Alcoa wheels/tires or the supercharger first.
Taoworm, I'd love to get all our replica's together and race! Let's make it a plan for KRFest '10 to do some burnouts or race in an abandoned parking lot or something. 8)

Slade
FLAG Assistant

Post by Slade » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:54 pm

So it would be possible for a Saleen,altho I think the only issue I forsee is the exhaust pipes since they go down the middle of the car in the back and not on each side on the back like a shelby or gt for that matter.

Interesting tho,got me thinking :wink:

Tiger Warrior
Rookie

Post by Tiger Warrior » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:51 pm

Sounds like a cool idea. I'll have to check with the dealer to see if I can get the Shelby Front cheaper than what I've seen on CJ Pony parts. I just hope they are motivated enough to actually order stuff, since it seems that 90% of Virginia doesn't konw what work is.

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:53 pm

MR2NR wrote:
Ya I should kinda clarify this as I posted about this before seeing KI3T in real life and knowing what I know now. The actual KI3T is just a GT with KR dress up. Hood Bumpers and badging. The reason for this is KR's stunt coordinators didn't want a unpredictable 5.4 manual supercharged engine but they did collect all the actual Shelby parts and put them on a 4.6 GT. KI3T is more like a 1/2 KR since Shelby worked with NBC but did not actually give KI3T a CSR #. So anybody that purchased a black KR and is going to make KI3T out of it will even one up NBC :).
What's so unpredictable about the GT500KR? I'm going to have to doubt you on that, though, because you can hear a supercharger whine in most all the driving shots. My guess is that they used several cars, some GT's (since KI3T is an Auto...even though he's supposed to be a GT500KR), but in a few of the burnout vids you can clearly hear the stunt driver hitting the rev limiter (which indicates a manual transmission, and you could hear the supercharger whine in the same shot).

Tiger Warrior
Rookie

Post by Tiger Warrior » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:42 pm

If you would've been at the KR Festival in Las Vegas a few months ago, Paul Casey, along with Justin Buering, mentioned that the cars used in the 08 Kr Series are either V-6 or GT's with a Shelby body. In essence, those cars are just for show. If you thought those vehicles had the Shelby power, remember, they use CGI and other graphics (not the real stunts like TOS Knight Rider) to impress the audience. In short, just use your imagination. ;)

Slade
FLAG Assistant

Post by Slade » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:46 am

Makes sense,not to mention saves money.Im sure they dont wanna reck a ton of Shelbys.

MR2NR
FLAG Recruit

Post by MR2NR » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:39 am

tamatt27 wrote:
MR2NR wrote:
What's so unpredictable about the GT500KR? I'm going to have to doubt you on that, though, because you can hear a supercharger whine in most all the driving shots. My guess is that they used several cars, some GT's (since KI3T is an Auto...even though he's supposed to be a GT500KR), but in a few of the burnout vids you can clearly hear the stunt driver hitting the rev limiter (which indicates a manual transmission, and you could hear the supercharger whine in the same shot).
Well I heard this from Dan and April who where from Shelby Automobiles at KRF 08 which said NBC never has purchased a KR, just parts. I also seen the GT hero show car Paul brought first hand.

Superchargers make more power after the RPM's have climbed a bit. N/A cars have a more gradual power band = better for burnouts/doughnuts/powerslides/drifts. Boosted cars also have more reliability problems as there are more parts that can leak or break. Also stunt drivers hate manual transmissions has they have to recreate stunts time and again. Why would you want to do more work and risk missing a gear. Also I could take my Auto Dakota R/T and hit the rev limiter all day :) There are usually little numbers on autos 1 and 2 :). The audio is almost always edited and added to a scene later just like the green screen. The more believable the better :).

Go look at the stock 82 T/A hp numbers and compare them too the GT Mustang. You would think they had made a deal with the devil to create some of the old TOS scenes :).

To the people who made the Knight Rider Festival possible especially Paul Casey. Thank You! See you all and more in 2012 :kitt2:

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:48 pm

Yea blow $85,000 just to make it a Kitt clone, no thanks I like Kitt but that would be pushing it. The most I'd ever do is request red centers on the seats and red door panel trim period end of story. Go Kitt just enough but not enough to look bad.

MR2NR
FLAG Recruit

Post by MR2NR » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:18 pm

KnightRiderKR wrote:Yea blow $85,000 just to make it a Kitt clone, no thanks I like Kitt but that would be pushing it. The most I'd ever do is request red centers on the seats and red door panel trim period end of story. Go Kitt just enough but not enough to look bad.
Well somebody spent 150,000 for both :) A true fan :).

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/applicat ... f31%2f2008" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Search for lot number 665 and 665.1

Would love to know who bought these as it was not aired in SPEED.

jeremy223
Rookie

Post by jeremy223 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:50 pm

I remember that auction.In the listing,KITT's wheels are referred to as 20"x8.5" in the front and 20"x10" in the back.However,I can only find these wheels for sale in 20"x9" and 20"x10" sizes.Do you think it was a mistake in the listing or maybe a custom job?
I'm getting ready to buy a set and as everyone knows they are expensive.I really want to get the right size for a KITT replica.Does anyone know for sure what the right size is for KITT's wheels?
Any info on the tire size?

MR2NR
FLAG Recruit

Post by MR2NR » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:31 am

jeremy223 wrote:I remember that auction.In the listing,KITT's wheels are referred to as 20"x8.5" in the front and 20"x10" in the back.However,I can only find these wheels for sale in 20"x9" and 20"x10" sizes.Do you think it was a mistake in the listing or maybe a custom job?
I'm getting ready to buy a set and as everyone knows they are expensive.I really want to get the right size for a KITT replica.Does anyone know for sure what the right size is for KITT's wheels?
Any info on the tire size?
I would opt for the 9" in front as 8.5's are a little narrow for 20's and the 245 tires look better on a full 9" wheel. The 8.5's where prob concepts and if a 9 will fit I wouldn't try and have custom wheels made for twice the price those Alcoa's are all ready pricey enough.

If you are going to be exact with tire sizing you'll have to use Goodyear F1 Supercar's 245/45ZR20 front and 255/45ZR20 rear. About 290$ a piece. I would also be looking at alignment specs as the camber was pretty gnarly on KI3T in Vegas.

FLAGCEO
Operative

Post by FLAGCEO » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:15 pm

tamatt27 wrote:
MR2NR wrote:

The main reason they didn't use a real GT500 KR is because when they filmed the Pilot back in 2007, the KR hadn't gone into production. Shelby only had one prototype, for which Paul Casey and friends got Shelby to let them make molds out of to make the hood for the show car. I would assume that when the series went into production, GST didn't want to blow $90,000 on a car that looks noticably different from the real KR. The real KR has "SHELBY" written across the hood and the tail, as well as a "40th Aniversarry" cobra badge on the hood, sides and rear.

Finally, because of the 540-hp engine, they would only be able to put the red scanner light in the hood scoops for pictures, but not when the car was running (okay, maybe also when it's not going 50+ mph). The engine needs the scoops to help cool the engine. The interior is quite different too, including the steering wheel, the transmission (the KR only comes in a stick), and the unique ID number plate bolted to the dash right where KITT's snowglobe would be.

Making a replica of KI3T or even a true KR would be a lot easier and cheaper - not just for the producers, but for all of us too.
Bring Knight Rider back for Season 2!!

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:23 pm

Oh I don't doubt that they didn't use a KR, however I would go out on a limb that atleast one of the cars could have been supercharged (GT500 perhaps)?

MR2NR
FLAG Recruit

Post by MR2NR » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:01 pm

tamatt27 wrote:What's so unpredictable about the GT500KR? I'm going to have to doubt you on that, though, because you can hear a supercharger whine in most all the driving shots.

Oh I don't doubt that they didn't use a KR, however I would go out on a limb that at least one of the cars could have been supercharged (GT500 perhaps)?
Somebodies getting wishy washy :wink: