The Garth-Michael fight at the end of Goliath

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Kirin
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

The Garth-Michael fight at the end of Goliath

Post by Kirin » Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:14 pm

It's freakin' hilarious! :lol:

Today is the conclusion of "Goliath" on sci-fi channel. I've got to remember to watch the end of this episode, as I always thought the fight between Garth and Michael was one of the funniest things I have ever seen. Actually most of the fights on KR were funny, but this one was especially hilarious. Just the way they swing at each other and high kick each other, plus the yelps and karate noises both of them make during the fight are just too much!

Does anyone else think this fight is funny?

Darendor
Operative

Re: The Garth-Michael fight at the end of Goliath

Post by Darendor » Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:47 pm

Kirin wrote:It's freakin' hilarious! :lol:

Today is the conclusion of "Goliath" on sci-fi channel. I've got to remember to watch the end of this episode, as I always thought the fight between Garth and Michael was one of the funniest things I have ever seen. Actually most of the fights on KR were funny, but this one was especially hilarious. Just the way they swing at each other and high kick each other, plus the yelps and karate noises both of them make during the fight are just too much!

Does anyone else think this fight is funny?
Well I don't have any specific memory of that, but remember it's David Hasslehoff vs David Hasslehoff. It's a bit more tricky to pull off and make look halfway real that just two different people pretending to scrap.

knightynight
Recruit

Post by knightynight » Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:51 pm

I agree with Kirin whole-heartedly. No matter who David H. is fighting in the series, actually. He probably should have had some sort of martial arts training back then. Nowadays, producers make sure that their actors are up to fighting "par". Back then, the appearance of reality wasn't as important as it is today with all of our efforts to make things look "real". Everything in the 80's looked plastic.

Darendor
Operative

Post by Darendor » Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:56 pm

Okay well let me try to explain it.

Suppose you were trying to film a scene where you were fighting yourself. It's only you, but you play 2 people.

You'd have to film yourself throwing a punch, pretending to avoid, pretending to get struck and react accordingly...

Now, you're acting as the other character...you threw a punch as the first one, so now you have to either pretend to block it, pretend to take it and react, or pretend to avoid it.

Anyone else see where I'm coming from.

In the mid 1980s, they didn't have computer effects like you see in The Matrix.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:11 pm

Actually, in Goliath Hasselhoff didn't have to pretend to be fighting anyone. He was fighting a stunt-double who was always shot from the rear so we never saw his face. But between the corny kicks and the not-so-convincing use of the stunt-double, the fight sequence didn't come out as dramatic as they probably hoped.

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:47 pm

It came out rather corny, almost like the whole episode. Hasselhoff is fine when he is playing one role. Playing both roles, well, he sorta overacted. (Ok, he drastically overacted.) And that fight scene still has me falling on my rear laughing. In a way, you can sort of see it as him, beating on himself.

KI

Kirin
Recruit

Post by Kirin » Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:07 pm

I just watched the Hasselhoff vs. Hasselhoff fight!!! The stunt double is so hilariously obvious in this scene. If I had a scanner, I would post a pic of this fight, because it is so unintentionally funny.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: !!!!!!

blueberry
Volunteer

Post by blueberry » Thu Feb 13, 2003 7:13 pm

:lol: I always thought David Hasselhoff was bad at the art of fighting, I guess having long legs didn't help, but hey who cares if you have a set of that cool hair!

What Hasselhoff lacked in acting balanced out in his hair

Anyone notice how his hair never moved, it must of been all that hair spray, I mean in the 80s people didn't leave home without hair spray :D

TT Snim
Operative

Post by TT Snim » Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:47 pm

I saw the last half of the ep. I couldn't help thnking... "man, Garth is a WHINER!" All whiney about how hid dear old dad left him out of an inheritence. Well, Garth, THEN DON'T BE EVIL!
:roll:

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:22 pm

well if they use Garth in the new movie, I'm guessing the fights will be better. First of the bluescreening has made fighting between the same characters look very realistic. Also the whole asian fightning craze in movies will surely kick up Michaels fightning skills (or the new guys) to a whole new level. (see the trailer for Matrix 2 for examples of both)

knightrider_ni
Operative

Post by knightrider_ni » Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:00 am

tsk tsk k.i. goliath cheesy? :P :wink: i thought it was one of your faves.

it's certainly my overall fave ep of the whole four seasons, i loved it! thought david did a really good job too of convincing us that there was two completely different characters in the show - his performance of garth in g.returns is fantastic, but wasted in such a bad ep.

the fight scene "whoops" etc i loved. they were funny, but not to me in a "haha this is a crap fight scene haha look at this dated show" way, but just in that knight rider way in which the show never took itself 100% seriously. :) :wink: