But what about the KR space time continuum?

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

But what about the KR space time continuum?

Post by Sue » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:16 am

Okay, so we tend to argue a lot about the revisionist history of the new KR. Can MT be MK’s son? Could Charles have created KITT? Etc. But all this talk about what car will star as KITT has got me thinking… This isn’t gonna be the 1980s anymore. How can a MT and a MK exist in the same decade? Hummm.... Doc this is heavy.
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Re: But what about the KR space time continuum?

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:57 am

I think you weren't paying attention to what section you were posting to. :lol:

Of course they can TV, movies and comic books, especially comic books, are full of retconned or "convenient" history.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:16 pm

Oh, no, I meant to post it here. I’m assuming we will see a MK in the movie and I’m assuming the movie won’t be set in the 80s anymore. So what does that mean for MT?
Oh dear VK, Phoenixzero just said “convenient history” :wink:
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:53 pm

Well it's been said that this is a relaunch/reimagining of Knight Rider in the modern time. So as far as the movie is concerned MT doesn't exist, and neither did Hoff's MK. This will be a new Michael Knight.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:07 pm

Sue wrote:Oh, no, I meant to post it here. I’m assuming we will see a MK in the movie and I’m assuming the movie won’t be set in the 80s anymore. So what does that mean for MT?
Oh dear VK, Phoenixzero just said “convenient history” :wink:
Oh, okay I was just confused then, I thought this was about the contradictions between the new TV series and the original. The movie certainly wouldn't be set in the 80s, that'd be kind of silly since it's a reboot.

Oh and yes, yes I did. :lol: I don't really care for retconning or revising history, especially when it's done in a way that just makes a mess of things. Show's a lack of imagination I think.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:29 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote: Oh and yes, yes I did. :lol: I don't really care for retconning or revising history, especially when it's done in a way that just makes a mess of things. Show's a lack of imagination I think.
So I take it you or VK wouldn’t be too pleased if I suggested that Charles bump his head on the toilet and invent a flux capacitor so Mike can make it to the fish under the sea dance in time to fix this whole conundrum? No? :D No good? :D
Well hopefully the new MK will be so cute that I’ll forget about MT. :D
(Brown hair please. :wink: )

Johnathan Kent
Rookie

Post by Johnathan Kent » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:31 pm

It could be plausible that Wilton Knight had help from Charles Graiman in the 1980's considering Tonya Walker and her team caused Knight Industries to go under and simply because Devon Miles didn't mention Charles doesn't mean he didn't exist back then...and as far as the movie looking forward to it as well whenever it comes out....
Charles Edward Untz III

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:29 pm

Johnathan Kent wrote:It could be plausible that Wilton Knight had help from Charles Graiman in the 1980's considering Tonya Walker and her team caused Knight Industries to go under and simply because Devon Miles didn't mention Charles doesn't mean he didn't exist back then...and as far as the movie looking forward to it as well whenever it comes out....
My brain hurts Johnathan. :?
I think we established that the Motion Picture will be set in modern times and be a re-imagining of the classic story. So no more 1980s anything, if Wilton drops dead he will do it in 2008. There will be no way to mesh the story of the movie and the TV show together I’m afraid. It’s probably a good thing; otherwise I’m sure fans would construct a mess of hypothetical ties between the two.

Johnathan Kent
Rookie

Post by Johnathan Kent » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:09 pm

true but the first half of my statement was in reference to the new TV show and the second half was in support of the new Movie
Charles Edward Untz III

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:38 pm

Ah… yes, confusion abounds in this thread I guess. :mrgreen:

Johnathan Kent
Rookie

Post by Johnathan Kent » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:35 am

I guess it does...
Charles Edward Untz III

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:19 pm

You have to consider Superman Returns and Smallville. While Superman Returns is the story of Superman, Smallville is also the story of pre-Superman. You have two different established realities covering the same character(s) in different ways.

With Knight Rider's motion picture and the 08 series the same thing applies. Larson's film will re-establish the elements of the KR mythology that we've come to admire but set up their introductions in different ways then you would expect.

I've already told you, KITT will be named K.I.T.T., be a black car and have a red scanner where it should be. I've also told you that the motion picture is a re-imagining of the original pilot, Knight of the Pheonix. This has not changed. The motion picture (as it stands right now) is still the genesis story of Knight Rider which means it has to start over and re-establish it's own mythology all over again. This does not mean however that the character names or their purpose will change. This also does not mean there won't be additional characters either.

On the same hand some things DO have to happen to make the characters who they are. Michael does have to lose his identity in order to become Michael Knight and believe me, Michael might have a new actor but he's written as the Michael Knight we all remember and love. Glen knows his characters and he knows how they should and should not act.

Certain things you will recognize, other things you will recognize by name but no so much by the canon history the original show established. Still remember the source. Glen worked hard to make the world love his creation and now he's doing it all over again from the beginning. In Glen Larson you should trust.

NBCU will do whatever they choose to do but unlike the motion picture, they ARE bound to honor the mythology of the original series and the timeline events that occured within it. That is the tradeoff for continuing the series rather then rebooting or restarting it. If they don't come to understand the crucial necessity to their audience to firmly establish a credible bridge to the past with the original Knight Industries team, it's going to fail miserably.

It's not just about one man and his "hot" car. It's about that one man making a difference while being a relunctant partner who happens to be a car. Thus far Mike Traceur has not had his "Michael Knight" moment. Michael Long gave up his life, his past, and his identity (save for Stevie). He had to accept his life as Michael Knight and the face that went with it. Mike Traceur lost a mother he hardly even knew and had a brief conversation with his dad he hardly ever saw but when it's all said and done there is nothing stopping Mike Traceur from returning back to his old life except his choice not to do it. He lost so little in comparison to his father.

It is my hope that NBCU's staff and writers will understand the need to further bridge the old season with the new continuation. You can take creative liberties to expand on what came before but you cannot ignore it.

In typical Bourne fashion, they left us with more questions then answers in the backdoor pilot. That's all well and good when you're an original premise based on a book but when you've been established for over 26 years you can't be that arrogant as to presume people will just "go with it". In my opinion they didn't give us enough to buy into the fact they have always been around since the series went off the air and that is a crucial element that's missing that needs to be corrected. It sounds like in some ways Gary Scott Thompson recognizes this as well but at this point who really knows because the stories continue to change.

It's honestly too early to tell what they have in mind and it would be unfair to judge them at this point. I believe the best way to handle things is to just wait till we see footage. Like taking a photo you're not sure you took correctly with a normal (non digital) camera...you have to wait and see what develops.

This advice holds true for both the motion picture and the new series.

I assure you the motion picture will have no ties to the 08 television series. The only simularities it could possibly have is with the characters and places mentioned that appeared in the original pilot. (Wilton, Michael, Knight Industries)

=VK=
:dash:

epc1122
Rookie

Post by epc1122 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:20 pm

victor kros wrote:You have to consider Superman Returns and Smallville. While Superman Returns is the story of Superman, Smallville is also the story of pre-Superman. You have two different established realities covering the same character(s) in different ways.

With Knight Rider's motion picture and the 08 series the same thing applies. Larson's film will re-establish the elements of the KR mythology that we've come to admire but set up their introductions in different ways then you would expect.

I've already told you, KITT will be named K.I.T.T., be a black car and have a red scanner where it should be. I've also told you that the motion picture is a re-imagining of the original pilot, Knight of the Pheonix. This has not changed. The motion picture (as it stands right now) is still the genesis story of Knight Rider which means it has to start over and re-establish it's own mythology all over again. This does not mean however that the character names or their purpose will change. This also does not mean there won't be additional characters either.

On the same hand some things DO have to happen to make the characters who they are. Michael does have to lose his identity in order to become Michael Knight and believe me, Michael might have a new actor but he's written as the Michael Knight we all remember and love. Glen knows his characters and he knows how they should and should not act.

Certain things you will recognize, other things you will recognize by name but no so much by the canon history the original show established. Still remember the source. Glen worked hard to make the world love his creation and now he's doing it all over again from the beginning. In Glen Larson you should trust.

NBCU will do whatever they choose to do but unlike the motion picture, they ARE bound to honor the mythology of the original series and the timeline events that occured within it. That is the tradeoff for continuing the series rather then rebooting or restarting it. If they don't come to understand the crucial necessity to their audience to firmly establish a credible bridge to the past with the original Knight Industries team, it's going to fail miserably.

It's not just about one man and his "hot" car. It's about that one man making a difference while being a relunctant partner who happens to be a car. Thus far Mike Traceur has not had his "Michael Knight" moment. Michael Long gave up his life, his past, and his identity (save for Stevie). He had to accept his life as Michael Knight and the face that went with it. Mike Traceur lost a mother he hardly even knew and had a brief conversation with his dad he hardly ever saw but when it's all said and done there is nothing stopping Mike Traceur from returning back to his old life except his choice not to do it. He lost so little in comparison to his father.

It is my hope that NBCU's staff and writers will understand the need to further bridge the old season with the new continuation. You can take creative liberties to expand on what came before but you cannot ignore it.

In typical Bourne fashion, they left us with more questions then answers in the backdoor pilot. That's all well and good when you're an original premise based on a book but when you've been established for over 26 years you can't be that arrogant as to presume people will just "go with it". In my opinion they didn't give us enough to buy into the fact they have always been around since the series went off the air and that is a crucial element that's missing that needs to be corrected. It sounds like in some ways Gary Scott Thompson recognizes this as well but at this point who really knows because the stories continue to change.

It's honestly too early to tell what they have in mind and it would be unfair to judge them at this point. I believe the best way to handle things is to just wait till we see footage. Like taking a photo you're not sure you took correctly with a normal (non digital) camera...you have to wait and see what develops.

This advice holds true for both the motion picture and the new series.

I assure you the motion picture will have no ties to the 08 television series. The only simularities it could possibly have is with the characters and places mentioned that appeared in the original pilot. (Wilton, Michael, Knight Industries)

=VK=
while i can see your points on almost everything here, i don't really agree with michael knight giving up so much. when he was shot in the face, he really didnt have a choice to have his face repaired to how it used to be. we also don't know too much about his past life as far as his family goes. the only thing he really gave up was stevie. it was a new future for him where he still able to enforce the law. if memory serves me, his old partner was shot and killed. michael knight did take up the challenge of being one man trying to make a difference, but i believe traceur has also taken on that responsibility. to me it was implied that traceur was taking on that mantle after he talked to knight. i'm kind of straying; but i dont think michael knight really did give up as much as it appeared. he may of gave up his past and his identity, but he didnt have much of a life to go back to; except for stevie. i'm just happy we're getting different versions of knight rider. i'm looking forward to seeing how they adapted the mustang for the series and anxiously awaiting some new information on glen larson's interpretation of the new knight rider. i'm really curious to know how far in development it's in and what kind of car will be his new version. to be honest, i really don't care for the car that they had in the fan made poster of what the knight rider movie would look like. to me, the back end was too long. however, at first i wasnt thrilled with the mustang, but that has grown on me alot and again, i'm anxiously awaiting july 25 to see how they've adapted it again.

DeeKnight
Operative

Post by DeeKnight » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:54 pm

I think the one thing the NBC show has in its favour is the hoff,love him or hate him he IS Michael Knight. Unless the movie turns into a series i cant see a place for it just now.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:04 pm

THe Hoff has already explained that NBCU isn't seeking to include him in their series so how is that in their favor? I don't blame people for their skeptism about the motion picture because you are correct there has been no official word about it. On the other hand I don't appreciate people saying it doesn't have a chance of success before they've even seen one shred of footage.

I'll repeat this one more time...it takes far greater time and money to put together a multi-million dollar movie then a slapped together pilot. Glen wants Knight Rider on the big screen to have the "wow" factor people demand and make sure his storyline is both unique and memorable. All of that takes a tremendous amount of time and energy to accomplish. This isn't some project that's being spewed out to make a quick buck off a franchise that bares little to no resemblance to the original source.

Please refrain from condemning either project until you've seen what they have to offer, it's just unfair at this point when all you have is speculation, rumor, and bits and pieces of information of a greater whole. It's ok to have an opinion, I respect that but make it a fair one.

=VK=

DeeKnight
Operative

Post by DeeKnight » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:29 pm

I think the feature film does have a place,just not right now. People will see the NBC continuation first then the motion picture will come out and most casual fans will be confused. I have had to explain it to people allready that there is a new TV series and a film on the way that have nothing to do with each other. Sorry if i caused offence as i really hope the film recaptures the true spirit of the original.

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:53 pm

In essence NBC have stolen Larson's thunder and this is what makes his job harder now bring KR to the big screen from a financial and creative point of view, he would be better served by getting involved in the TV series where he could then steer the show in his own way...

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:08 pm

People have a habit of underestimating Glen's projects and just like in the 80s you're just going to have to wait and see what develops. I assure you this much, NBCU hasn't stolen his thunder just yet because they still haven't given the fans what they're looking for and they have absolutely no idea what Glen has in mind for his motion picture.

Each studio is steering their proverbial Knight Rider flagship into the water, once they're in proximity of one another on the digital battlefield we'll see which one flees a sinking ship first after the shots have been fired.

=VK=
First Mate on Larson's Ship.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:26 pm

pheonix_knight wrote:In essence NBC have stolen Larson's thunder and this is what makes his job harder now bring KR to the big screen from a financial and creative point of view, he would be better served by getting involved in the TV series where he could then steer the show in his own way...
Actually, I think Revolution Studios stole Larson's thunder. They had the rights to make the Knight Rider motion years ago and they blew it. We could have had a 2 or 3 KR movies by now, but that's just the way Hollywood works some times. But if and when the movie moves forward, there will be tons of thunder around it.

I honestly think there is enough room for a TV series and a Motion Picture. Glen Larson has nothing to worry about regarding the series, and NBC shouldn't be worried about the motion picture. Creativity suffers when people focus on what the other guy is doing. Let Gary Scott Thompson do his thing, let Glen do his thing, and we as fans potentially get two great projects out of it.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Rookie

Post by 1982 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:13 am

Revolution was a big let down. At least there were more “Official Announcements” of some kind in the 3+ years they had the rights.

What “Official Announcements” of progress have there been in the 2+ years since the The Weinstein’s bought the rights from Larson, besides Glen’s video? At least something more than there has been, even if it is small, would be better than nothing. Or do we wait for The Weinstein’s to give the official “go ahead”, whenever that will be?

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:30 am

Excluding Summer of Secrets, Keep your eye on this fall because things are moving forward and once things are in order, announcements will follow. For the moment, the movie is still on track to make it by 2010.

=VK=

scottab21
FLAG Recruit

Post by scottab21 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:00 am

I think with the success of the NBC series there will be a surge of all things KR related. This, in turn, could be a good thing for Larson's movie to get the kind of support it needs to go into developement and the the backing from whomever could help. The preview for the new series looks like they got a little bit of everything in it, from the fighting sequences, to the romance, and of course KITT doing what he does best. It really has the TRUE spirit of the classic KR series reborn. I'm also happy to have the kind of access to the comic con showing that KRO has provided. Maybe by 2010 we will finally get KR up on the big screen, but until then we got one awsome show on the way! 8)
:kitt: :karr:

kitt.pl
Recruit

Post by kitt.pl » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:22 am

Without Hasselhoff this film sucks!!!

scottab21
FLAG Recruit

Post by scottab21 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:33 am

kitt.pl wrote:Without Hasselhoff this film sucks!!!
Well, I don't know if the movie will have the Hoff in it or not I'm leaning towards the latter though, since we have heard that this will be a re-imagining. It would most likely be a new actor playing the role of Michael Knight. Then again, other than what VK has shared with us, we haven't heard anything new on this project... :|

:kitt: :karr:

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:19 pm

Johnathan Kent wrote:It could be plausible that Wilton Knight had help from Charles Graiman in the 1980's considering Tonya Walker and her team caused Knight Industries to go under and simply because Devon Miles didn't mention Charles doesn't mean he didn't exist back then...and as far as the movie looking forward to it as well whenever it comes out....
It needs repeating again that Graiman only claimed to have invented KITT but Wilton Knights first AI vehicle was KARR and this was the 'miracle car that Wilton created' NOT KITT... Wiltons health was too poor to have had a hand in it...