1/18 Die Cast KITT Coming In December

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by HondaSiR » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:56 pm

Congrats Imranbecks! Glad you're over that grappling hook thing. By the way, check out this link my man... :D

Link:

http://knightrideronline.com/archives/2 ... arrive.php

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:59 pm

HondaSiR wrote:Congrats Imranbecks! Glad you're over that grappling hook thing. By the way, check out this link my man... :D

Link:

http://knightrideronline.com/archives/2 ... arrive.php
Whoa!!!! Awesome!!! Wait a minute.... Aren't those my pics... LOL!!!!! Cheers neps! U guys gotta get KARR as well!!

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:31 am

I'd love to get KARR as well, unfortunately my wallet doesn't permit it right now. I'll just have to wait until ERTL decides to manufacture it. :)

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:08 am

AH! This rules!!! 8) Im getting the car for $24.00 USD + $10.00 Shipping + $1.30 Shipping insurance = $36.29. And what's even cooler I'll be getting it in a few days since the model is in California. Hopefully I can find $130.00 lying around then i'll purchase the Aoshima KARR model. Or if someone is still selling the model on ebay. *CROSSES FINGERS* 8)

The Guy has one more left!! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 92281&rd=1
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:36 am

HondaSiR wrote:Regarding the Aoshima KARR, its really not just a retooled clone of KITT. It does offer the silver paint and yellow scanner. This may probably be our last chance of acquiring one in this scale. If you have the money right now, buy it for US$99.00 in ebay (excluding shipping). The model's rarity clearly justifies its price tag as of now. We don't even know if ERTL is making KARR in the future, so for those with the resources to spare, get KARR NOW.
I've done just that. Only because I'm getting a little bit of help paying for it for Christmas. K.I.T.T. I bought on my own though. I totally agree with you though...nab it now. I really want to make little modifications when I get it but because of the rarity I don't even know if I should ever even take it out of the box? Then again I don't plan on selling it so I will probably modify it.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:24 am

TurbomanKnight wrote:The Guy has one more left!! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 92281&rd=1
This is really weird guys... Even though I already have the model, I can't help but drool at the pics of KITT in that link.. It just looks awesome!

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:43 am

Too late...the last KITT in that auction has been snapped up already! Let's hope they still have more and post it again soon.

Lost Knight: You made the right choice! Even if KARR costs an arm and a leg as of this moment, it offers a lot of value...the exquisite silver paint job, the ultra-cool yellow scanner...and the "better than ERTL" box art! Not to mention that it is an Aoshima, a rather exotic and rare brand. :D

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:16 am

I just hope I have a nice KITT model to unrap from my little brother on Christmas :).

My mother can't keep a secret to save her life, and I'm meeting her for lunch tomorrow so I'm sure she will tell me the status from Amazon on it!
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:19 am

Army_F_Body wrote:I just hope I have a nice KITT model to unrap from my little brother on Christmas :).

My mother can't keep a secret to save her life, and I'm meeting her for lunch tomorrow so I'm sure she will tell me the status from Amazon on it!
The model is available at Amazon?

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:24 am

imranbecks wrote:The model is available at Amazon?
I'm pretty sure that's where she said she ordered it from. She's an Amazon junkie.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:27 am

The Knight Rider model I can find is the ERTL KITT model kit.... http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... nce&s=toys The other one is KIFT>> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... nce&s=toys Better make sure she didn't get the wrong one....

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:22 am

DanielB wrote:All is not lost though - pop into ModelZone in London and pick up and ERTL KITT.
...its looking that way, though I've had my eye on McRae's sign snowy Citreon on GPL....yes snowy! so I may place an order for KITT at the same time with that.

I think some may are being alittle harsh on Aoshima. It always sells out of KR stuff within days of release. It was like this with the 1/43 cars, the model truck and the really expensive KARR RC car.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:55 am

anticsonline.co.uk are still waiting for delivery even though they said it'd be in yesterday. :(
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:33 am

comet-miniatures.co.uk haven them in-stock now.

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:35 am

DOH! We're in the stretch now. I can almost taste it!!! KITT will be an awesome addition to my collection.

For those who care, here is my collection so far:

1:18 Scale (Or Related) Diecast Collection
Sun Star 1981 DMC DeLorean DMC-12 LK
Sun Star 1981 DMC DeLorean DMC-12 LK - American Express Gold Edition
Sun Star 1981 DMC DeLorean DMC-12 LK - Back To The Future Part I Edition
Sun Star 1981 DMC DeLorean DMC-12 LK - Back To The Future Part II Edition Version 1
Sun Star 1981 DMC DeLorean DMC-12 LK - Back To The Future Part II Edition Version 2
Sun Star 1981 DMC DeLorean DMC-12 LK - Back To The Future Part III Edition (This one is still delayed, like KITT is)
Ertl 1969 Dodge Charger - Dukes Of Hazzard 'General Lee' Edition
Ertl 1959 Cadillac Ambulance - Ghostbusters 'Ecto 1' Edition
Ertl 1976 Ford Gran Torino - Starsky & Hutch Edition
Ertl 1995 Toyota Supra - The Fast And The Furious Edition
Ertl 2000 Honda S2000 - 2Fast 2Furious Edition
Ertl 1982 Pontiac Trans Am - Knight Rider 'K.I.T.T.' Edition
Johnny Lightning DC Comics 1950's Batmobile
Hot Wheels 1989 Batmobile
Burago 1992 Dodge Viper RT/10
Burago Lamborghini Murcielago
Maisto 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Maisto 2004 Chevy Impala SS
Yat Ming 1985 Pontiac Fiero GT

1:24 Scale (Or Related) Diecast Collection
Welly 1981 DMC DeLorean DMC-12 LK
Welly 1981 DMC DeLorean DMC-12 LK - Back To The Future Part I Edition
Welly 1981 DMC DeLorean DMC-12 LK - Back To The Future Part II Edition
Welly 1981 DMC DeLorean DMC-12 LK - Back To The Future Part III Edition
Motormax 2000 Honda S2000
Motormax 2000 Acura Integra Type-R
Motormax 2002 Honda Civic SI
Motormax Mazda MX-5 Miata
Motormax 1973 Pontiac Firebird
Burago 1998 Volkswagen Bettle
Franklin Mint 1914 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost

1:24 Scale (Or Related) Non-Diecast Collection
Ertl 1982 Pontiac Trans Am - Knight Rider 'K.I.T.T.' Edition
Ertl 1991 Dodge Stealth ES - Knight Rider 2000 'K.I.F.T.' Edition
Ertl 1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Turbo - Promo Edition
Revell 1988 Pontiac Banshee Concept
Phil
On Facebook & MySpace :-)

"One man can make a difference. Like Orville Redenbacher"

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:10 am

Pretty impressive collection you have there PBH...the only car that I have in your collection is the 1:18 scale Part II DeLorean Time Machine. Although I also have a black 1:18 scale Murcielago, mine is a Maisto.

One car that has caught my attention though. Your 1:24 non-diecast Ertl 1982 Pontiac Trans Am - Knight Rider 'K.I.T.T.' Edition. I am familiar with the diecast version, but not a plastic one. Can you supply a pic? I'm very interested in seeing it.

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:11 pm

HondaSiR wrote:One car that has caught my attention though. Your 1:24 non-diecast Ertl 1982 Pontiac Trans Am - Knight Rider 'K.I.T.T.' Edition. I am familiar with the diecast version, but not a plastic one. Can you supply a pic? I'm very interested in seeing it.
It's simply the plastic model kit that was recently re-released by AMT/Ertl. Here'a a couple of pics I found online:

ImageImage
Phil

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:24 pm

I got one of those for my Birthday - how does it build up? Accuracy? Is the kit good in terms of fit?

Trying to think of a way to make the scanner look interesting.

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:08 pm

PBH: Oh I see...it's a model kit. I didn't know you collected and assembled them. Both KITT and KIFT come in 1:25 scale then, probably the reason I got mixed up and a bit excited. :)

DanielB: The current ERTL model is ok, but it doesn't have the correct tail lights and lacks the front fender vents. Only the original MPC kit with either the "Corvette promo" or "Golden Opportunity kit" logos are accurate. For more detail, go to this site:

Link: http://www.smallartworks.ca/Gallery/Kitt/Kitt.html

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:26 pm

Before I begin, I'm not trying to put anyone down. You guys know me, I'm just stating my opinion without trying to knock on someone.

DanielB: Though many here agree that the latest reprint of the model is inaccurate, the original MPC kit is not 100% accurate either. The MPC version of KITT has "Knight 2000" on the front nose, which was NEVER shown on the show. And since the model was created back during the late Season 1/early Season 2 period of 1983, the model became inaccurate to KITT's design in Season 3 and 4.

But, the kits allow for a wide range of variations that a lot of fans can do. So, it really depends on which season and episode you want to construct KITT in (seeing that in Season 4, KITT did not have the fender vents as mentioned by HondaSIR, and the fact that KITT has had paintjobs, has been destroyed and reconstructed, etc.). Yes, the tail-lights are incorrect, but one of the things about modeling, from what I have learned from it, you choose how to build it. You make it the way you want to. Hell, look at the Knight Industries Design Yahoo!Group here, they've got a wide variety of model KITTs construted by various fans: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/knightind ... eldesigns/

If you want to go for accuracy, that's your decision, but that would also take up a lot of time. If you want to make your KITT model unique, that's your decision as well. To me, modeling isn't creating a fully 100% accurate car model. Making a model car based off a popular icon vehicle as seen on a TV show or movie, you are actually making a model representation. I mean, you can look at my TKR models for an example. Yes, they aren't correct in detail, but they are meant to represent the vehicles. Many of factors went into these models, like trying to find the closest models I could find for them: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/code_brea ... /my_photos

As a modeler, you choose how you want the car to look, with what items you have available to you. Of course, my opinion about the reprints is like my opinion on the old question: Which came first, the chicken or the egg? My opinion: Who cares? We should be happy to have chickens! To put it in terms of the reprints: Who cares? We should be happy that ERTL/AMT did them, even though they are incorrect. At least they took the time to go out of their way and release them. They could very well have not done so.

Of course, these are just my opinion here and now. My opinion may change later on. So, please take my opinion with very little salt.

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:19 pm

I've had a look at the model - it's plenty accurate enough for my liking. Once I find a way round the scanner, I'll begin construction (I make quite alot of aircraft kits anyway).

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:37 pm

DanielB- You may want to check out my "Model Car Conversion" post, here: http://knightrideronline.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=3823

It gives details on how to scratchbuild a scanner from a soda bottle cap. I'm not 100% sure, but it may be worth checking and could be helpful in making the scanner round for your model.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:39 pm

Most of us in this thread have been eagerly anticipating 1/18th scale K.I.T.T. models for quite some time. True, most of us nitpick, but I think it's mainly because we feel obligated to. That and the fact that if you know how something should be, it's very difficult not to speak up about it. For me personally, while the inaccuracies do bug me, they haven't deterred me from purchasing the models.

Those of us who are lucky enough to have already acquired the models seem pleased nonetheless. I think it's just human nature to nitpick or point out inaccuracies in general, but it doesn't mean that we all miss the point and can't enjoy them for what they are. Speaking for myself, like I said, while certain inaccuracies do bug me (namely the amber fog lights), I still purchased the models and plan to modify them for fun ever so slightly to my liking. Actually, I'm kind of looking forward to tweaking them a little bit.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:24 pm

Agreed. As fans, it's what we've always done. Heck, I've been venting about the tire size of the new Back To The Future III DeLorean for months now (front tires are too small), yet here we are with a slightly incorrect DeLorean. As fans, it's our duty to keep the show alive in any way we can including disecting details. Imagine if the new movie makers paid as much attention to details as we did. Anyhow, point is that in the end, we'll all be happy that a car is now available. But as fans, we will always look to perfection.
Phil

aznblitz
Volunteer

Re: Hey

Post by aznblitz » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:53 pm

Hey PBH

if you find anywhere locally that have these in stock please let me know as i am as excited as you are :D

thanks
PBH wrote:
aznblitz wrote:Hey

was wondering if anybody knows where i would be able to find this diecast in and around the Toronto Canada area????

if any of you guys got any heads up once they are released please let me know thanks
Fellow Torontonian!

Well, one place is always Carbuffs at Square One in Mississauga or North Star Hobbies & Collectables on Dundas, west of Dixie in Mississauga. Otherwise, I have ordered at the Canadian site located in British Columbia http://www.scale18.com/cgi-bin/page?a=diecast.html. Although their prices are listed in US dollars, their conversion rate is excellent.

But don't run around just yet. KITT has yet to surface. This also goes for the Back To The Future - Part III DeLorean. Like KITT, the Delorean was supposed to show up in October/November 2004, but it's still a no show.